Re: Cap's for Dro's Battery Compartment

  • markkimball2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
      Glad to help! Let us know how it works out.

      -Mark

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, a rien <amriensr@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >  >  If you're using a multi-layer ceramic
      > >  >  capacitor you don't need to worry about
      > the
      > >  polarity.
      > >  >  Tantalum or electrolytic capacitors are
      > >  polarized:  one
      > >  >  end should be marked with a "+" sign.
      > >  >
      > >  >  Based on the comments in the link you sent
      > (BTW
      > >  it's a good
      > >  >  writeup), to get any benefit from the
      > added
      > >  capacitance
      > >  >  you'd want to use a 1 micro-farad or
      > higher
      > >  capacitor.
      > >  >  Multilayer ceramics will go up to about 47
      > uf
      > >  (805 style
      > >  >  package).  For more than that you will
      > need to
      > >  go to
      > >  >  Tantalum or electrolytic, or a bigger
      > ceramic.
      > >  They
      > >  >  can get pretty big so check the
      > dimensions
      > >  before
      > >  >  purchasing.
      > >  >
      > >  >  1mm high 805 style 47uf ceramic caps are
      > >  available from
      > >  >  DigiKey for less than $1USD/each (but you
      > may
      > >  need to buy
      > >  >  several).  I am not associated with
      > Digikey,
      > >  just use
      > >  >  them on occasion.  Mouser or Jameco
      > probably
      > >  have
      > >  >  similar offerings.
      > >  >
      > >  >  I'd be inclined to stick with multi-layer
      > >  ceramic
      > >  >  caps.  You don't need to worry about
      > polarity;
      > >  and
      > >  >  ceramic caps will be more forgiving as far
      > as
      > >  soldering
      > >  >  temperatures go.
      > >  >
      > >  >  Mark
      > >  >
      > >  >  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,
      > >  >  a rien <amriensr@> wrote:
      > >  >  >
      > >  >  > I read most of the input on the
      > previous
      > >  discussion on
      > >  >  powering DRO's .. I can't say that I
      > fully
      > >  understood the
      > >  >  punch line. Could one of the
      > electronically
      > >  enabled members
      > >  >  please take a look at this link and
      > possibly tell
      > >  me the
      > >  >  specifics of the cap's that this guy is
      > using in
      > >  the battery
      > >  >  compartment?
      > >  >  > Do they require some kind of polarity

    • glenf99
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2013

         Barry,

        Any chance of moving the group to a system that works, like Google maybe,  if Yahoo doesn't fix this new crappy interface?

        Sorry for tagging onto this topic, but I couldn't figure out how to post a new topic.

        Glen

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013

          Using my laptop today instead of my tablet.

          It's differant than the old interface, but all the basic functions seam to be here.

          Maybe I should update my tables?...

          Glen