Leveling

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2013
      Newby here:

      Got my 44991 OK, and have it set up on my work bench, but not bolted down tight yet.

      Seemed like it would be a good idea to level the xy table to start with.

      So, I got out my Starrett machinist's level that I picked up at a surplus sale some years ago. It had the calibration stickers intact, so I thought it was OK. But, after attempting to level my drill press, (used to be where the mill is now), I could see something was wrong with it. Long story short, I calibrated it on my plate by successively leveling the plate with the level, then switching the level 180 degrees and adjusting the level to read the same as before. Then rotating the level 90 degrees, doing the same thing, then back to step one.

      Eventually I got it where both the plate and the level were good, although I have hints that the plate has some warpage in it from one end to the other. The end result is that the level reads the same at all 4 90 degree rotation points as long as I don't move the center of rotation too far from the same location on the plate.

      I hope I am right that the level is now calibrated. If I screwed it up, please let me know.

      Now, I am attempting to level the mill table using my now calibrated Starrett machinist's level. The first problem I notice is that if I level the table on the left, with the level across the table, when I move the level to the right end, it's off. This indicates to me that the table surface is twisted. Is that right?

      If I trammed the table according to the procedure in LMS, the front of the table would be good, but the back would be off.

      Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is the machine off? Is the leveling procedure introducing twist into the table? Is there some procedure for doing the whole thing that will end up with it correctly leveled right to left and front to back all over the table?

      I'm leveling the machine using shims next to the mounting bolt holes.

      Thanks,

      Dave