Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Cap's for Dro's Battery Compartment

  • a rien
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 26, 2013
      Thanks Mark..Do I really need a pcb? I was just going to turn a delrin empty lr44 and place the cap in it and solder two contacts to mimic the battery.??

      Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Cap's for Dro's Battery Compartment
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 26, 2013, 12:42 PM

      Anthony,

      That one should work OK.  An 805 SMT footprint is 2mm X
      1.25mm and the cap you chose is 1.25mm thick.  An LR44
      battery looks to be about 11.7mm in diameter and about 5.3mm
      thick.  Standard PCB material is .062" thick, or about
      1.58 mm thick.  The PCB and capacitor combo will be
      about 2.83mm so the assembly will fit in the battery
      footprint.  The voltage rating on the cap is more than
      adequate.

      If you're not into making your own PCB's ExpressPCB will fab
      three "miniboards" for about $60.  They're two-sided
      & thru-hole plated & you can get them in less than a
      week after placing the order.  There will be enough
      room left over for some other project(s) if they're simple
      circuits (maybe voltage regulators for the DRO battery
      eliminator??).  I've used ExpressPCB a lot.  I'm
      not affiliated in any way, just a satisfied customer.

      Good Luck, & let us know how it works out!

      -Mark

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,
      a rien <amriensr@...> wrote:

      > OK, I think I've found the correct cap's for the dro
      scale battery compartment.
      > Mark, would you be so kind as to  take a look at
      this Mouser link and confirm that I'm buying the correct
      items.
      <mark.kimball2@...> wrote:

      >  Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Cap's for Dro's
      Battery Compartment
      >  To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      >  Date: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 11:29 AM

      >  If you're using a multi-layer ceramic
      >  capacitor you don't need to worry about the
      polarity.
      >  Tantalum or electrolytic capacitors are
      polarized:  one
      >  end should be marked with a "+" sign.

      >  Based on the comments in the link you sent (BTW
      it's a good
      >  writeup), to get any benefit from the added
      capacitance
      >  you'd want to use a 1 micro-farad or higher
      capacitor.
      >  Multilayer ceramics will go up to about 47 uf
      (805 style
      >  package).  For more than that you will need to
      go to
      >  Tantalum or electrolytic, or a bigger ceramic.
      They
      >  can get pretty big so check the dimensions
      before
      >  purchasing.

      >  1mm high 805 style 47uf ceramic caps are
      available from
      >  DigiKey for less than $1USD/each (but you may
      need to buy
      >  several).  I am not associated with Digikey,
      just use
      >  them on occasion.  Mouser or Jameco probably
      have
      >  similar offerings.

      >  I'd be inclined to stick with multi-layer
      ceramic
      >  caps.  You don't need to worry about polarity;
      and
      >  ceramic caps will be more forgiving as far as
      soldering
      >  temperatures go.

      >  Mark

      >  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,
      >  a rien <amriensr@> wrote:
      >  >
      >  > I read most of the input on the previous
      discussion on
      >  powering DRO's .. I can't say that I fully
      understood the
      >  punch line. Could one of the electronically
      enabled members
      >  please take a look at this link and possibly tell
      me the
      >  specifics of the cap's that this guy is using in
      the battery
      >  compartment?
      >  > Do they require some kind of polarity hook
      up?
      >  > Thanks
      >  > Anthony
      >  > http://www.robotroom.com/Caliper-Digital-Data-Port.html
      >  >

      >      GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
    • markkimball2000
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
        Hi Anthony,

        Your approach may work but it could be challenging to get the contact config right since you need one contact on the perimeter and another in the center. 805 caps are pretty small so the solder joint won't take much mechanical stress. You will need to machine the delrin piece (and metal contacts) so the delrin takes the stress, not the cap. Maybe a bit of copper pipe on the OD and a disk in the center?

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
          Thanks Mark, I'll be sure to keep the cap's stress free, We pretty much had the same thoughts, I'll turn an OD contact, and a small center pin from brass. I'm going to order six cap's just in case the first try has a 100% screw up rate. I appreciate all of the input.
          Anthony

          To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 9:31 PM

          Hi Anthony,

          <mark.kimball2@...> wrote:

> [...]

          >  before
          >  >  purchasing.
          >  >
          >  >  1mm high 805 style 47uf ceramic caps are
          >  available from
          >  >  DigiKey for less than $1USD/each (but you
          may
          >  need to buy
          >  >  several).  I am not associated with
          Digikey,
          >  just use
          >  >  them on occasion.  Mouser or Jameco
          probably
          >  have
          >  >  similar offerings.
          >  >
          >  >  I'd be inclined to stick with multi-layer
          >  ceramic
          >  >  caps.  You don't need to worry about
          polarity;
          >  and
          >  >  ceramic caps will be more forgiving as far
          electronically

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
            Glad to help! Let us know how it works out.

          • glenf99
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2013

               Barry,

              Any chance of moving the group to a system that works, like Google maybe,  if Yahoo doesn't fix this new crappy interface?

              Sorry for tagging onto this topic, but I couldn't figure out how to post a new topic.

              Glen

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013

                Using my laptop today instead of my tablet.

                It's differant than the old interface, but all the basic functions seam to be here.

                Maybe I should update my tables?...

                Glen