RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Cap's for Dro's Battery Compartment

  • Robert Furmanak
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 24, 2013

      Anthony,

      No I did not post attachments.  However, I will supply links to my blog where I describe my DRO installations for my lathe and mill.

      Regards,

      Robert

      http://robertsprojects.blogspot.com/2010/02/mini-mill-modifications-shumatech-dro.html

      http://robertsprojects.blogspot.com/2011/02/mini-lathe-digital-readout.html

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2013
        OK, I think I've found the correct cap's for the dro scale battery compartment.
        Mark, would you be so kind as to take a look at this Mouser link and confirm that I'm buying the correct items.
        http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/C0805C476M9PACTU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YS3hfMWWNXqP9g6KLb3M%2fIc%3d
        Thanks
        Anthony

        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 11:29 AM

        If you're using a multi-layer ceramic
        capacitor you don't need to worry about the polarity.
        Tantalum or electrolytic capacitors are polarized:  one
        end should be marked with a "+" sign.

        Based on the comments in the link you sent (BTW it's a good
        writeup), to get any benefit from the added capacitance
        you'd want to use a 1 micro-farad or higher capacitor.
        Multilayer ceramics will go up to about 47 uf (805 style
        package).  For more than that you will need to go to
        Tantalum or electrolytic, or a bigger ceramic.  They
        can get pretty big so check the dimensions before
        purchasing.

        1mm high 805 style 47uf ceramic caps are available from
        DigiKey for less than $1USD/each (but you may need to buy
        several).  I am not associated with Digikey, just use
        them on occasion.  Mouser or Jameco probably have
        similar offerings.

        I'd be inclined to stick with multi-layer ceramic
        caps.  You don't need to worry about polarity; and
        ceramic caps will be more forgiving as far as soldering
        temperatures go.

        Mark

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,
        a rien <amriensr@...> wrote:

        > I read most of the input on the previous discussion on
        powering DRO's .. I can't say that I fully understood the
        punch line. Could one of the electronically enabled members
        please take a look at this link and possibly tell me the
        specifics of the cap's that this guy is using in the battery
        compartment?
        > Do they require some kind of polarity hook up?
        > Thanks
        > Anthony
        > http://www.robotroom.com/Caliper-Digital-Data-Port.html

            GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
      • markkimball2000
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 26, 2013
          Anthony,

          That one should work OK. An 805 SMT footprint is 2mm X 1.25mm and the cap you chose is 1.25mm thick. An LR44 battery looks to be about 11.7mm in diameter and about 5.3mm thick. Standard PCB material is .062" thick, or about 1.58 mm thick. The PCB and capacitor combo will be about 2.83mm so the assembly will fit in the battery footprint. The voltage rating on the cap is more than adequate.

          If you're not into making your own PCB's ExpressPCB will fab three "miniboards" for about $60. They're two-sided & thru-hole plated & you can get them in less than a week after placing the order. There will be enough room left over for some other project(s) if they're simple circuits (maybe voltage regulators for the DRO battery eliminator??). I've used ExpressPCB a lot. I'm not affiliated in any way, just a satisfied customer.

          Good Luck, & let us know how it works out!

        • a rien
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 26, 2013
            Thanks Mark..Do I really need a pcb? I was just going to turn a delrin empty lr44 and place the cap in it and solder two contacts to mimic the battery.??

            To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Monday, August 26, 2013, 12:42 PM

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
              Hi Anthony,

              Your approach may work but it could be challenging to get the contact config right since you need one contact on the perimeter and another in the center. 805 caps are pretty small so the solder joint won't take much mechanical stress. You will need to machine the delrin piece (and metal contacts) so the delrin takes the stress, not the cap. Maybe a bit of copper pipe on the OD and a disk in the center?

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
                Thanks Mark, I'll be sure to keep the cap's stress free, We pretty much had the same thoughts, I'll turn an OD contact, and a small center pin from brass. I'm going to order six cap's just in case the first try has a 100% screw up rate. I appreciate all of the input.
                Anthony

                To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 9:31 PM

                Hi Anthony,

                <mark.kimball2@...> wrote:

> [...]

                >  before
                >  >  purchasing.
                >  >
                >  >  1mm high 805 style 47uf ceramic caps are
                >  available from
                >  >  DigiKey for less than $1USD/each (but you
                may
                >  need to buy
                >  >  several).  I am not associated with
                Digikey,
                >  just use
                >  >  them on occasion.  Mouser or Jameco
                probably
                >  have
                >  >  similar offerings.
                >  >
                >  >  I'd be inclined to stick with multi-layer
                >  ceramic
                >  >  caps.  You don't need to worry about
                polarity;
                >  and
                >  >  ceramic caps will be more forgiving as far
                electronically

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
                  Glad to help! Let us know how it works out.

                • glenf99
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2013

                     Barry,

                    Any chance of moving the group to a system that works, like Google maybe,  if Yahoo doesn't fix this new crappy interface?

                    Sorry for tagging onto this topic, but I couldn't figure out how to post a new topic.

                    Glen

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013

                      Using my laptop today instead of my tablet.

                      It's differant than the old interface, but all the basic functions seam to be here.

                      Maybe I should update my tables?...

                      Glen