Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Tap holder.Based of Mike's idea from the Model engineer article in 1964.

  • John Lindo
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
      Reid
      hope this link works.
      Mike does excellent work

      John
      Spain

      From: Reid <reidsim@...>
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Tap holder.Based of Mike's idea from the Model engineer article in 1964.

      Cool! I like it. I was wondering if there is blueprint or instruction how to make one?

      Reid

      On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM, John Lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:

      Taking a lead from mikesworkshop I decided to make my own tap holder.
      It's incorporates a modified stub arbor with a # 2 morse taper.
      It can be used in the lathe tailstock and or my milling machine.
      Recently put in a reversing switch for the mill,Weiss 16 specifically for tapping.It never had one.

      John
      Spain.

    • CLevinski
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22, 2013
        John,

        That came out beautifully, and I agree with Barry's comment in the
        bottle post that the quality is obvious.

        Thanks for sharing the photos!

        Charlie

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Lindo wrote:

        > Taking a lead from mikesworkshop I decided to make my own tap holder.
        > It's incorporates a modified stub arbor with a # 2 morse taper.
        > It can be used in the lathe tailstock and or my milling machine.
        > Recently put in a reversing switch for the mill,Weiss 16 specifically
        for tapping.It never had one.

        https://plus.google.com/photos/112848589944601328801/albums/591462161886\
        7583457

        > John
        > Spain.

      • chucketn
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 22, 2013
          Excelent work, John. Prompted me to check Mikes page again and make lots of notes. It's on my list!

          Chuck
        • John Lindo
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 22, 2013
            Check with me before you start.
            I worked to Mikes numbers religiously but chose a different bill of material and method of manufacture of the pieces.
            John

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 22, 2013
              Very nicely done John.

              Barry

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:

                > Check with me before you start.
                > I worked to Mikes numbers religiously but chose a different bill of material and method of manufacture of the pieces.
                > John

                Why don't you do a complete wrieup on the tap head, John. Definitly on my build list for the lathe and mill, though I would need a straight shank to use on both.

                Chuck
              • John Lindo
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
                  Chuck
                  No problem,but as you are opting for a parallel shank I suggest you
                  download Mikes web page and follow his design.
                  I am assuming you have a #2 MT in the tailstock of your lathe,and R8 collets in your mill.
                  As I have #2 MT's on both my machines I opted to start with a blank arbor with a ground #2 MT and a 10 mm drawbar thread,
                  I just screw in a set (grub) screw in the taper end for lathe tailstock knock out.
                  So the manufacture of the actual jaws is where I differed from Mike's.plus the machined square which is integral of the arbor.

                  Thanks
                  John
                  Spain

                  > I worked to Mikes numbers religiously but chose a different bill of material and method of manufacture of the pieces.
                  > John

                  Why don't you do a complete wrieup on the tap head, John. Definitly on my build list for the lathe and mill, though I would need a straight shank to use on both.

                  Chuck

                • drmico60
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
                    Hi chuck,
                    I have sent you some drawings that may help.
                    Mike

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:

                    > Chuck
                    > No problem,but as you are opting for aparallel shank I suggest you
                    > download Mikes web page and follow his design.
                    > I am assuming you have a #2 MT in the tailstock of your lathe,and R8 collets in your mill.
                    > As I have #2 MT's on both my machines I opted to start with a blank arbor with a ground #2 MT and a 10 mm drawbar thread,
                    > I just screw in a set (grub) screw in the taper end for lathe tailstock knock out.
                    > So the manufacture of the actual jaws is where I differed from Mike's.plus the machined square which is integral of the arbor.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > John
                    > Spain

                  • CLevinski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
                      John,

                      It's a really cool project that you executed really well! As you know,
                      I have many projects on the project list, this one too, but I think some
                      of the others are higher up! Talk to you soon!

                      Thanks,
                      Charlie

                      \