Re: Adjustable Reamer (?)

  • CLevinski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23 7:58 PM
      Hi, John,

      OK, I'll have to play with it and see if I can find a nut for it, if
      that's missing. Thanks for the advice!

      Charlie

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Lindo wrote:

      > Charlie
      > I may be wrong,but the reamer in the photo may be a fitters hand
      reamer,and could also be slightly tapered from the front to the back.
      > they were used for aligning and sizing bushes after they were pressed
      into a bore.
      > you are correct about adjustment,maybe you are missing the nut on the
      front end to expand the flutes.
      > Normally,hand reamers have flats on the end similar to thread taps,
      >
      > Thanks
      > John
      > Spain
      >

      > >________________________________

      reamers, and this (click here to link to photo)Â item, which I think
      is an adjustable reamer of some kind. The last 3/8 inch or so is
      threaded, and it looks like the threaded portion is a separate component
      that travels about two inches up the inside of the blades (I can see
      through the blade openings a bit). I'm assuming you grasp the
      reamer by the square shank end and put wrench on the flats of the
      threaded portion and turn the threads to move its upper portion up and
      down to adjust it? I'm just guessing from what I can observe.

      > >1. Can anyone verify that this is how the reamer is adjusted?
      > >2. Am I correct in assuming that the adjustment range is very slight
      and is only intended to allow the machinist to make sure the reamer is
      cutting at the correct diameter (in this case, 1/2 inch)?