Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Live Steam Locomotives - A Warning

  • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
      Also applies to folding paper in half, six times is the limit also.

      Malcolm

      Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
      The writing is on the wall.
      Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Live Steam Locomotives - A Warning
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 10:58 PM

      On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

      Charlie

      Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such
      as:

      <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>

      The is an absolute mine of information in
      there, from
      techniques to models.

      There is a set of two CD discs of the articles
      floating
      about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920,
      that were
      scanned by the late James Early.

       A warning about nesting model train
      layouts:

      http://xkcd.com/878/

        Beware the Matryoshka limit!

       :-)

       Cheers,

       John Z.
    • michael kolchins
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
        Charlie, I noticed you have interest in Live Steam.Google     " Builders of Kozo locomotives engines"
        The Pennsylvania A-3 Switcher is a good locomotive to start with. Kozo explains in depth how to build the locomotive and the tender.I built it, mine only runs on compressed air. Any steam engine will run on compressed air. I did a poor job of hard soldering the boiler, lest only running on air.It would be beneficial to join a Live Steam Club. The locomotive I built is 3/4 scale. Be prepared to spend at least $2000.00 in material alone. The copper for the boiler,firebox and tender will set you back $1000.00 alone.
        It took me 3 years working part time to complete the locomotive. I enjoyed almost every minute of it.
        I did get mighty frustrated with my hard soldering skills, I'm better at it now and maybe someday will build an engine in 1-1/2 scale.3/4 scale is more difficult for me because of the tiny fasteners.If you ever had to tap  -80 threads you know what I mean.
        mike

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
          Knock it off, do not go so far off topic. Back to amateur Machining please.|
          Thank you

          Barry Young

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
            Also does not apply to amateur machining, back on topic.

            Barry

            Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 10:58 PM

                On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

                        Charlie

                          Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such
            as:

                          <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>

                          The is an absolute mine of information in
            there, from
                          techniques to models.

                          There is a set of two CD discs of the articles
            floating
                          about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920,
            that were
                          scanned by the late James Early.

                 A warning about nesting model train
            layouts:

                http://xkcd.com/878/

                  Beware the Matryoshka limit!

                 :-)

                 Cheers,

                 John Z.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • CLevinski
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
              Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
              locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
              machining project...

              Many thanks,
              Charlie
            • Ralph
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 25, 2013
                Charlie
                You can find a lot of information and help on the Chaski live steam group.

                http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=0941c87b63c2f26dfb23ed9a382d7b87

                Ralph
                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "CLevinski" <clevinski@...> wrote:

                > Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
                > locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
                > machining project...
                >
                > Many thanks,
                > Charlie

              • CLevinski