Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Live Steam Locomotives - A Warning

  • SirJohnOfYork
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
      On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

      Charlie

      Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such as:
      <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>
      The is an absolute mine of information in there, from techniques to models.
      There is a set of two CD discs of the articles floating about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920, that were scanned by the late James Early.
       A warning about nesting model train layouts:
      http://xkcd.com/878/

        Beware the Matryoshka limit!
       :-)
       Cheers,
       John Z.

    • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
        Also applies to folding paper in half, six times is the limit also.

        Malcolm

        Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
        The writing is on the wall.
        Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

        Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Live Steam Locomotives - A Warning
        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
          Charlie, I noticed you have interest in Live Steam.Google     " Builders of Kozo locomotives engines"
          The Pennsylvania A-3 Switcher is a good locomotive to start with. Kozo explains in depth how to build the locomotive and the tender.I built it, mine only runs on compressed air. Any steam engine will run on compressed air. I did a poor job of hard soldering the boiler, lest only running on air.It would be beneficial to join a Live Steam Club. The locomotive I built is 3/4 scale. Be prepared to spend at least $2000.00 in material alone. The copper for the boiler,firebox and tender will set you back $1000.00 alone.
          It took me 3 years working part time to complete the locomotive. I enjoyed almost every minute of it.
          I did get mighty frustrated with my hard soldering skills, I'm better at it now and maybe someday will build an engine in 1-1/2 scale.3/4 scale is more difficult for me because of the tiny fasteners.If you ever had to tap  -80 threads you know what I mean.
          mike

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
            Knock it off, do not go so far off topic. Back to amateur Machining please.|
            Thank you

            Barry Young

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
              Also does not apply to amateur machining, back on topic.

              Barry

              Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 10:58 PM

                  On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

                          Charlie

                            Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such
              as:

                            <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>

                            The is an absolute mine of information in
              there, from
                            techniques to models.

                            There is a set of two CD discs of the articles
              floating
                            about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920,
              that were
                            scanned by the late James Early.

                   A warning about nesting model train
              layouts:

                  http://xkcd.com/878/

                    Beware the Matryoshka limit!

                   :-)

                   Cheers,

                   John Z.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • CLevinski
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
                Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
                locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
                machining project...

                Many thanks,
                Charlie
              • Ralph
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 25, 2013
                  Charlie
                  You can find a lot of information and help on the Chaski live steam group.

                  http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=0941c87b63c2f26dfb23ed9a382d7b87

                  Ralph
                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "CLevinski" <clevinski@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
                  > locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
                  > machining project...
                  >
                  > Many thanks,
                  > Charlie

                • CLevinski