Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Adjustable Reamer (?)

  • John Lindo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23 12:01 PM
      Charlie
      I may be wrong,but the reamer in the photo may be a fitters hand reamer,and could also be slightly tapered from the front to the back.
      they were used for aligning and sizing bushes after they were pressed into a bore.
      you are correct about adjustment,maybe you are missing the nut on the front end to expand the flutes.
      Normally,hand reamers have flats on the end similar to thread taps,

      Thanks
      John
      Spain

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23 7:56 PM
        Thanks, Malcolm!

        Charlie

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

        > Charlie
        >
        > Yes you are correct.
        > They are also useful for reaming for a dowel, undersize for a dowel
        push fit and, when adjusted, a sliding fit for the dowel in the mating
        part.
        > Like an pair of under and over reamers in one.
        >
        > Malcolm

        > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
        > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
        > The writing is on the wall.
        > Ha-ktovet al ha-kir
        >

        > ________________________________

        reamers, and this (click here to link to photo)Â item, which I think
        is an adjustable reamer of some kind. The last 3/8 inch or so is
        threaded, and it looks like the threaded portion is a separate component
        that travels about two inches up the inside of the blades (I can see
        through the blade openings a bit). I'm assuming you grasp the
        reamer by the square shank end and put wrench on the flats of the
        threaded portion and turn the threads to move its upper portion up and
        down to adjust it? I'm just guessing from what I can observe.

        > 1. Can anyone verify that this is how the reamer is adjusted?
        > 2. Am I correct in assuming that the adjustment range is very slight
        and is only intended to allow the machinist to make sure the reamer is
        cutting at the correct diameter (in this case, 1/2 inch)?

        > Many thanks for any information...
        >
        > Charlie

      • CLevinski
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23 7:58 PM
          Hi, John,

          OK, I'll have to play with it and see if I can find a nut for it, if
          that's missing. Thanks for the advice!

          Charlie