Live Steam Locomotives

  • CLevinski
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
      Hi, Gerry,

      Am I correct in assuming that "live steam" means they actually work?

      I've been fascinated by the idea of building live steam anything (though I worked for a hobby company that made model train controls for 10 years; I sort of got hooked on trains a bit) and am thinking about pursuing it when I retire. (Hopefully in the not too distant future.) Is there a particularly helpful website where I could learn some of the basics on machining and building these?

      Many thanks,
      Charlie

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote:

      > Hi Charlie.
      >
      > The high speeds are as you say relevant for small drills and mills.
      >
      > I model 1/19scale live steam locos and there are a lot of holes for small screws and rivets and the increased speed is very useful.
      >
      > The smoothness and quietness is an added bonus
      >
      > Gerry W
      > Leeds UK
    • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
        Charlie

        Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such as:
        <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>
        The is an absolute mine of information in there, from techniques to models.
        There is a set of two CD discs of the articles floating about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920, that were scanned by the late James Early.

        Malcolm

        Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
        The writing is on the wall.
        Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

        Am I correct in assuming that "live steam" means they actually work?

        I've been fascinated by the idea of building live steam anything (though I worked for a hobby company that made model train controls for 10 years; I sort of got hooked on trains a bit) and am thinking about pursuing it when I retire. (Hopefully in the not too distant future.) Is there a particularly helpful website where I could learn some of the basics on machining and building these?

        Many thanks,
        Charlie

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote:

        > Hi Charlie.
        >
        > The high speeds are as you say relevant for small drills and mills.
        >
        > I model 1/19scale live steam locos and there are a lot of holes for small screws and rivets and the increased speed is very useful.
        >
        > The smoothness and quietness is an added bonus
        >
        > Gerry W
        > Leeds UK

      • Floyd Burkett
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
          I always thought this was a neat little steam engine, and figured it could be made larger or smaller for that matter.

          LMS also has several model steam engine plans available under models.

          Floyd

          Charlie Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such as: <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/> The is an absolute mine of information in there, from techniques to models. There is a set of two CD discs of the articles floating about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920, that were scanned by the late James Early. Malcolm

          I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it! Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin The writing is on the wall. Ha-ktovet al ha-kir
          Hi, Gerry, Am I correct in assuming that "live steam" means they actually work? I've been fascinated by the idea of building live steam anything (though I worked for a hobby company that made model train controls for 10 years; I sort of got hooked on trains a bit) and am thinking about pursuing it when I retire. (Hopefully in the not too distant future.) Is there a particularly helpful website where I could learn some of the basics on machining and building these? Many thanks, Charlie
          --- In mailto:GrizHFMinimill%40yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote: > > Hi Charlie. > > The high speeds are as you say relevant for small drills and mills. > > I model 1/19scale live steam locos and there are a lot of holes for small screws and rivets and the increased speed is very useful. > > The smoothness and quietness is an added bonus > > Gerry W > Leeds UK
        • SirJohnOfYork
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
            On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

            Charlie

            Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such as:
            <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>
            The is an absolute mine of information in there, from techniques to models.
            There is a set of two CD discs of the articles floating about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920, that were scanned by the late James Early.
             A warning about nesting model train layouts:
            http://xkcd.com/878/

              Beware the Matryoshka limit!
             :-)
             Cheers,
             John Z.

          • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
              Also applies to folding paper in half, six times is the limit also.

              Malcolm

              Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
              The writing is on the wall.
              Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

              Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Live Steam Locomotives - A Warning
              To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                Charlie, I noticed you have interest in Live Steam.Google     " Builders of Kozo locomotives engines"
                The Pennsylvania A-3 Switcher is a good locomotive to start with. Kozo explains in depth how to build the locomotive and the tender.I built it, mine only runs on compressed air. Any steam engine will run on compressed air. I did a poor job of hard soldering the boiler, lest only running on air.It would be beneficial to join a Live Steam Club. The locomotive I built is 3/4 scale. Be prepared to spend at least $2000.00 in material alone. The copper for the boiler,firebox and tender will set you back $1000.00 alone.
                It took me 3 years working part time to complete the locomotive. I enjoyed almost every minute of it.
                I did get mighty frustrated with my hard soldering skills, I'm better at it now and maybe someday will build an engine in 1-1/2 scale.3/4 scale is more difficult for me because of the tiny fasteners.If you ever had to tap  -80 threads you know what I mean.
                mike

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                  Knock it off, do not go so far off topic. Back to amateur Machining please.|
                  Thank you

                  Barry Young

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                    Also does not apply to amateur machining, back on topic.

                    Barry

                    Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 10:58 PM

                        On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

                                Charlie

                                  Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such
                    as:

                                  <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>

                                  The is an absolute mine of information in
                    there, from
                                  techniques to models.

                                  There is a set of two CD discs of the articles
                    floating
                                  about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920,
                    that were
                                  scanned by the late James Early.

                         A warning about nesting model train
                    layouts:

                        http://xkcd.com/878/

                          Beware the Matryoshka limit!

                         :-)

                         Cheers,

                         John Z.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • CLevinski
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
                      Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
                      locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
                      machining project...

                      Many thanks,
                      Charlie
                    • Ralph
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 25, 2013
                        Charlie
                        You can find a lot of information and help on the Chaski live steam group.

                        http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=0941c87b63c2f26dfb23ed9a382d7b87

                        Ralph
                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "CLevinski" <clevinski@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
                        > locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
                        > machining project...
                        >
                        > Many thanks,
                        > Charlie

                      • CLevinski