Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Vice in the middle of the bed

  • Jeremy Winder
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
      So there are no issues with having the vise at one end and a rotary table at the other end, the additional weight won't mess up the table over time?

      Thank you,

      Jeremy

      On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM, William Lowey <wlowey@...> wrote:

      On my X2, I typically keep the vise centered as that is most often the position that gives me the greatest use of the machines travel.

      On my bridgeport (9x42" table with ~12x33" travel -- I'm not 100% sure on the X travel as I've never had to run it out to the limits!) my 4th axis is mounted on the right-most edge, and I have the vise mounted about 18" inward of the tables left-most edge (essentially centered within the table space left over by the 4th axis).

      This seems to give me the greatest amount of useful space with the least amount of "setup change-up".

      In so far as my tires, well, they're usually worn out when I take the car to the tire shop. :)

      -WL

    • Dale E
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
        Hi,

        I keep vises centered on mill tables. Mostly because that generally allows the greatest travel to accommodate long work pieces. It really is aggravating to have to move a fixture to get that extra 1" of travel to machine the whole part. And it allows you to more easily clear the mill head to access the vice and parts from under the head.

        A consideration for those who like to mount several fixtures at the same time to your mill. Be aware of the maximum recommended table load for your machine. A good vise and rotary table can quickly add weight to very close to the limit. As a simple example, a Grizzly G0704 has a recommended maximum table load of 125lbs/57Kg. And heavy off-centered loads will accelerate wear to the gibs and ways or even tip a machine over. The wear will not instantly harm a machine, but it does creep up little by little.