Re: Vice in the middle of the bed

  • jamespwhiting
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "a3sigma" <dcclark111@...> wrote:

      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "cptwinderatgmaildotcom" <cptwinder@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?
      > >
      > > When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Jeremy
      > >

      > It's VISE, Jeremy. VICE on a bed is something else entirely.
      >
      > David Clark in Southern Maryland

      Unless you are the other side of the pond...

      http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/vice_3

      -Jim.
    • Jwc C
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
        Jeremy...

        Unconsciously, I try to balance and center my tooling and equipment, although not necesarily with precision (unless neccesary for the task).
        I guess that with a heavy tool like a vise, when you take it to the mill's bed, it is extremely difficult to carry off center...so it gets installed roughly centered and squared.  Unless other tools will be used intermittently,  then I mount them side by side IF there will not be any interference.  My X2 does not often afford the space.    Most of the time I center both mill tables and the lathes  carriage before leaving the shop. No specific reason for that....

        In the 9x20 lathe, I always balance the work, if I dont, something  inside me will keep bugging me in the background,  warning me continuosly that it will come flying out of the machine anytime....

        jwcc8
        Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?

        When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.

        Thanks,

        Jeremy

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
            GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeremy Winder
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
          I have always seen the vise centered, is why I asked. And because I have always seen it done that way, I set mine up the same way. Monkey see, monkey do, never questioned it until now.

          It is also a shame when non-native english speakers have to correct the spelling/grammar of us native english speakers. ;) I know no other language so I have no excuse.

          Thanks everyone!

          Jeremy

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
              On my X2, I typically keep the vise centered as that is most often the position that gives me the greatest use of the machines travel.

              On my bridgeport (9x42" table with ~12x33" travel -- I'm not 100% sure on the X travel as I've never had to run it out to the limits!) my 4th axis is mounted on the right-most edge, and I have the vise mounted about 18" inward of the tables left-most edge (essentially centered within the table space left over by the 4th axis).

              This seems to give me the greatest amount of useful space with the least amount of "setup change-up".

              In so far as my tires, well, they're usually worn out when I take the car to the tire shop. :)

              -WL
            • kaje7777
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                I generally keep my vise near the center because that gives me the maximum amount of travel to either the left or the right. For most of the small pieces I work on, this saves me from having to relocate the vise in order to work. However, for some pieces of work I relocate the vise to wherever needed to accommodate the cuts I want to make.

                I recall reading somewhere that it is a good idea to locate the vise slightly to the left or right of center (alternating from time to time). I don't recall the exact reason for this, but I think it had something to do with evening out wear on the bed.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                  You teach English but you write "see how confused these kids here get here". Yes you are right, American English is different. Thank goodness.

                  Now, enough of this off topic fooferaw. Back on subject please.

                  Barry

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                    It has nothing to do with machining, knock it off.

                    Barry Young
                    Group Owner

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                        Hi,

                        I keep vises centered on mill tables. Mostly because that generally allows the greatest travel to accommodate long work pieces. It really is aggravating to have to move a fixture to get that extra 1" of travel to machine the whole part. And it allows you to more easily clear the mill head to access the vice and parts from under the head.

                        A consideration for those who like to mount several fixtures at the same time to your mill. Be aware of the maximum recommended table load for your machine. A good vise and rotary table can quickly add weight to very close to the limit. As a simple example, a Grizzly G0704 has a recommended maximum table load of 125lbs/57Kg. And heavy off-centered loads will accelerate wear to the gibs and ways or even tip a machine over. The wear will not instantly harm a machine, but it does creep up little by little.