Vice in the middle of the bed

  • cptwinderatgmaildotcom
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 19 7:17 AM
      Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?

      When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.

      Thanks,

      Jeremy
    • a3sigma
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 19 7:31 AM
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "cptwinderatgmaildotcom" <cptwinder@...> wrote:

        > Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?
        >
        > When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jeremy

        It's VISE, Jeremy. VICE on a bed is something else entirely.

        David Clark in Southern Maryland
      • jamespwhiting
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 19 8:15 AM
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "a3sigma" <dcclark111@...> wrote:

          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "cptwinderatgmaildotcom" <cptwinder@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?
          > >
          > > When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Jeremy
          > >

          > It's VISE, Jeremy. VICE on a bed is something else entirely.
          >
          > David Clark in Southern Maryland

          Unless you are the other side of the pond...

          http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/vice_3

          -Jim.
        • Jeremy Winder
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 19 8:42 AM
            You are absolutely correct. Thank you for pointing that out. I'll proofread my messages better in the future. Steal and steel is another one that I usually type incorrectly and have to fix during proofreading.

            On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, a3sigma <dcclark111@...> wrote:

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "cptwinderatgmaildotcom" <cptwinder@...> wrote:

            > Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?
            >
            > When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jeremy

            It's VISE, Jeremy. VICE on a bed is something else entirely.

            David Clark in Southern Maryland

          • Bill Rubenstein
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 19 8:51 AM
              I thought it was funny -- we all do such things and the older we get, the more we do it.

              Now to the question...

              I also have a larger mill with an 8 x 32 table.  The vise is near one end and my rotary table is near the other end.  Just make sure that you test the travel limits before you decide what goes where.

              Bill

              On 07/19/2013 10:42 AM, Jeremy Winder wrote:

              You are absolutely correct. Thank you for pointing that out. I'll proofread my messages better in the future. Steal and steel is another one that I usually type incorrectly and have to fix during proofreading.

              On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, a3sigma <dcclark111@...> wrote:

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "cptwinderatgmaildotcom" <cptwinder@...> wrote:

              > Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?
              >
              > When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jeremy

              It's VISE, Jeremy. VICE on a bed is something else entirely.

              David Clark in Southern Maryland

            • John Lindo
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 19 9:44 AM
                When I was on piecework in a toolroom,I always tried to keep the the vise to the right and circular table to the left.
                reason,if you needed to tilt the circ table 90 degrees it would give you room for machining and before hitting the vise,and running out of table travel.
                Mind you,these were large mills with travels up to 36" x 18"
                FORGOT TO ADD THE REASON,saving time by not having to align the workholding tooling,increased your paycheck.
                Regards
                John
                Spain.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 19 10:55 AM
                    Hi Dave,

                    <SNIP>
                    It's VISE, Jeremy.
                    </SNIP>

                    No it is not - vise is the correct term (unless you live in the USA, where in an enthusiastic attempt to show Independence, it is traditional to spell a number of words incorrectly).

                    Other well known examples:

                    American spelling:
                    Aluminum
                    British spelling:
                    Aluminium

                    American spelling:
                    Color
                    British spelling:
                    Colour

                    American spelling:
                    Pint and a quarter
                    British spelling:
                    Pint

                    American spelling:
                    America
                    British spelling:
                    The Colonies

                    All the best,
                    Ian

                    > Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?
                    >
                    > When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jeremy

                    It's VISE, Jeremy. VICE on a bed is something else entirely.

                    David Clark in Southern Maryland

                  • Jwc C
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 19 11:09 AM
                      Jeremy...

                      Unconsciously, I try to balance and center my tooling and equipment, although not necesarily with precision (unless neccesary for the task).
                      I guess that with a heavy tool like a vise, when you take it to the mill's bed, it is extremely difficult to carry off center...so it gets installed roughly centered and squared.  Unless other tools will be used intermittently,  then I mount them side by side IF there will not be any interference.  My X2 does not often afford the space.    Most of the time I center both mill tables and the lathes  carriage before leaving the shop. No specific reason for that....

                      In the 9x20 lathe, I always balance the work, if I dont, something  inside me will keep bugging me in the background,  warning me continuosly that it will come flying out of the machine anytime....

                      jwcc8
                      Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?

                      When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.

                      Thanks,

                      Jeremy

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • John Lindo
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 19 11:09 AM
                        Add on the rubber tyre,for a car.TIRE in the US
                        How would you write a note to the local garage in the US ?.My tires are tired please change them.?
                        I teach English part time in Spain,see how confused these kids here get here.

                        John
                        Spain

                        > Why does everyone put their mill vice in the middle of the bed instead of at one end? Is it to keep the weight over the base so the bed doesn't bend under it's own weight and that of the vice?
                        >
                        > When I purchased my mill, a G0704, one of the factors I looked for was to get the largest bed I could afford. So far all I use is about 4" in the center. If I use anything at the ends of the bed it is because I need the vice out of the way and was too lazy to remove it, so I just moved the bed over.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Jeremy

                        It's VISE, Jeremy. VICE on a bed is something else entirely.

                        David Clark in Southern Maryland

                      • Stephen Castello
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 19 11:27 AM
                          On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:09:15 -0700 (PDT), John Lindo
                          <bechetboat@...> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

                          >Add on the rubber tyre,for a car.TIRE in the US
                          >How would you write a note to the local garage in the US ?.My tires are tired please change them.?
                          >I teach English part time in Spain,see how confused these kids here get here.
                          >
                          >John
                          >Spain

                          One way it would be: my tires are bald please change them.

                          This poem is difficult for english speakers:
                          http://bertc.com/subfour/truth/english.htm

                          --

                          Stephen

                          "The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the
                          name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." -Thomas Jefferson
                        • a3sigma
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 19 11:30 AM
                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Ian Newman <ian_new@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Dave,
                            >
                            > <SNIP>
                            > It's VISE, Jeremy.
                            > </SNIP>
                            >
                            > No it is not - vise is the correct term (unless you live in the USA, where in an enthusiastic attempt to show Independence, it is traditional to spell a number of words incorrectly).

                            Hi Ian,

                            Does this mean that Mr. Biden does not preside over vice in the US? He is the President of the Senate.

                            DC
                          • Jeremy Winder
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 19 11:43 AM
                              I have always seen the vise centered, is why I asked. And because I have always seen it done that way, I set mine up the same way. Monkey see, monkey do, never questioned it until now.

                              It is also a shame when non-native english speakers have to correct the spelling/grammar of us native english speakers. ;) I know no other language so I have no excuse.

                              Thanks everyone!

                              Jeremy

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 19 1:10 PM
                                  On my X2, I typically keep the vise centered as that is most often the position that gives me the greatest use of the machines travel.

                                  On my bridgeport (9x42" table with ~12x33" travel -- I'm not 100% sure on the X travel as I've never had to run it out to the limits!) my 4th axis is mounted on the right-most edge, and I have the vise mounted about 18" inward of the tables left-most edge (essentially centered within the table space left over by the 4th axis).

                                  This seems to give me the greatest amount of useful space with the least amount of "setup change-up".

                                  In so far as my tires, well, they're usually worn out when I take the car to the tire shop. :)

                                  -WL
                                • kaje7777
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 19 2:18 PM
                                    I generally keep my vise near the center because that gives me the maximum amount of travel to either the left or the right. For most of the small pieces I work on, this saves me from having to relocate the vise in order to work. However, for some pieces of work I relocate the vise to wherever needed to accommodate the cuts I want to make.

                                    I recall reading somewhere that it is a good idea to locate the vise slightly to the left or right of center (alternating from time to time). I don't recall the exact reason for this, but I think it had something to do with evening out wear on the bed.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 19 3:33 PM
                                      You teach English but you write "see how confused these kids here get here". Yes you are right, American English is different. Thank goodness.

                                      Now, enough of this off topic fooferaw. Back on subject please.

                                      Barry

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 19 3:40 PM
                                        It has nothing to do with machining, knock it off.

                                        Barry Young
                                        Group Owner

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 19 6:11 PM
                                            Hi,

                                            I keep vises centered on mill tables. Mostly because that generally allows the greatest travel to accommodate long work pieces. It really is aggravating to have to move a fixture to get that extra 1" of travel to machine the whole part. And it allows you to more easily clear the mill head to access the vice and parts from under the head.

                                            A consideration for those who like to mount several fixtures at the same time to your mill. Be aware of the maximum recommended table load for your machine. A good vise and rotary table can quickly add weight to very close to the limit. As a simple example, a Grizzly G0704 has a recommended maximum table load of 125lbs/57Kg. And heavy off-centered loads will accelerate wear to the gibs and ways or even tip a machine over. The wear will not instantly harm a machine, but it does creep up little by little.