Re: [GrizHFMinimill] How to make an adapter sleeve

  • John Lindo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
      Hello Gerry, I believe Allan was also interested in these mods.

      See link of mods to the cross slide.

      you will see I put in a double nut arrangement inline so that the screw can never come off the end.
      made a new set of nuts 10mm x 1mm LH thanks to Andy's homemade hand tap,.original nut location hole repositioned.
      managed to put in a bearing at the front end of the new extension collar,
      machined away the casting to clear the nut
      new larger swivel plate with indexing holes.
      scraped slides and added oilways
      4 x new holes added so rotation of the compound can be done without having to wind out the slide all the way.
      quite a lot of work,but well worth the effort.

      John
      Spain

      From: reidsim@...
      Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:16:49 -0600

      What is the purpose to add extension on it? What is the pro and con for it?

      Reid

      On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Floyd Burkett <facfac@...> wrote:

      Here is where I found the Mini-Lathe slide extension modification. It's on the mini-lathe web site if the link doesn't work.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 18, 2013
        Quite a few vendors sell extruded aluminum tubing with the exact size of 3.5 inch ID and 3.25 inch OD (0.125 inch wall thickness). A few inches will cost you under $5, plus shipping.

        https://www.speedymetals.com/ps-4611-193-3-12-od-x-125-wall-tube-6061-t6-aluminum.aspx
        http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4740&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

        It might not be perfectly smooth, but that's probably beneficial for this sort of application. Cut the tube at least once to allow the mount's clamping action to work, of course.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jwc C <jwcc8@...> wrote:

        > tony...
        >
        > Consider using  aluminum round stock or tube or pipe...MACHINE AS REQUIRED....
        > 6063-T5 aluminum pipe schedule 40, NPS 3.0 inch size is 3.5"OD and 3.068" ID
        >
        > or you might consider steel or PVC pipe.   I don't have the data for these at hand at the time, but should be easy to find.
        >
        > JWCC8
        >

        > >________________________________

      • Jwc C
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 19, 2013
          olawor......

          I am still trying to draw a tube (such as you describe)  with the Outside diameter(OD)  smaller than the Inside diameter (ID) unsuccesfully..
          Just in case I have a future need for such an extrusion...Can you tell  which vendors stock such a rare extrusion?  :  )))

          JWCC8

          Quite a few vendors sell extruded aluminum tubing with the exact size of 3.5 inch ID and 3.25 inch OD (0.125 inch wall thickness).  A few inches will cost you under $5, plus shipping.

          https://www.speedymetals.com/ps-4611-193-3-12-od-x-125-wall-tube-6061-t6-aluminum.aspx
          http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4740&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

          It might not be perfectly smooth, but that's probably beneficial for this sort of application.  Cut the tube at least once to allow the mount's clamping action to work, of course.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jwc C <jwcc8@...> wrote:

          > tony...
          >
          > Consider using  aluminum round stock or tube or pipe...MACHINE AS REQUIRED....
          > 6063-T5 aluminum pipe schedule 40, NPS 3.0 inch size is 3.5"OD and 3.068" ID
          >
          > or you might consider steel or PVC pipe.   I don't have the data for these at hand at the time, but should be easy to find.
          >
          > JWCC8
          >

          > >________________________________

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
              GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • a3sigma
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 19, 2013
            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jwc C <jwcc8@...> wrote:

            > olawor......
            >
            > I am still trying to draw a tube (such as you describe)  with the Outside diameter(OD)  smaller than the Inside diameter (ID) unsuccesfully..
            > Just in case I have a future need for such an extrusion...Can you tell  which vendors stock such a rare extrusion?  :  )))
            >
            > JWCC8

            I've made a number of those, and will be happy to send you some if I can just find them. They've disappeared along with my 0-1 inch inside micrometers. Some fool must have closed the damn things...

            DC

            (I'll stop now... must be the heat...)