How to make an adapter sleeve

  • tonycervone@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
      I am switching from one router to another for my cnc router. Here's my dilemma:
      The old router had a 3.50 diameter; the new one has a 3.25 diameter.
      I could purchase a new mount for appx $100, or I could try to make two sleeves that will wrap around the new router so that it will fit the mount.

      Here are my questions:
      What is the most appropriate solution for this,and what material would I use.

      I need good true and tried ideas so that I don't go on a wild goose chase.

      I have a mini mill and a mini lathe, but I suspect that for diameters these large, one needs a different approach.

      tony
    • Floyd Burkett
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
        You can use a mini lathe to cut diameters that large if you put an extension block on the leadscrew. I got the ideal and the dimensions for the block somewhere on the Internet, but LMS sells a kit. That would allow you to turn a baseplate to fit, and you can use your mill to make the block.

        Floyd

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
          Here is where I found the Mini-Lathe slide extension modification. It's on the mini-lathe web site if the link doesn't work.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
            tony...

            Consider using  aluminum round stock or tube or pipe...MACHINE AS REQUIRED....
            6063-T5 aluminum pipe schedule 40, NPS 3.0 inch size is 3.5"OD and 3.068" ID

            or you might consider steel or PVC pipe.   I don't have the data for these at hand at the time, but should be easy to find.

            JWCC8

            I am switching from one router to another for my cnc router. Here's my dilemma:
            The old router had a 3.50 diameter; the new one has a 3.25 diameter.
            I could purchase a new mount for appx $100, or I could try to make two sleeves that will wrap around the new router so that it will fit the mount.

            Here are  my questions:
            What is the most appropriate solution for this,and what material would I use.

            I need good true and tried ideas so that I don't go on a wild goose chase.

            I have a mini mill and a mini lathe, but I suspect that for diameters these large, one needs a different approach.

            tony

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • John Lindo
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
              Tony
              Take a look at this link
              I machine large diameters up to 160mm,and I find these different set of slave jaws invaluable.
              I made up a set of 3 master soft jaws that fit into the scroll of a 4" chuck,then machined up various slave jaws that bolt onto the
              masters and can be located in various positions accurately with dowel pins.
              Soft jaws allow you to bore them out to suit different diameters you are trying to hold and guaranteed repeated concentricity.
              Not suggesting you use brass,as shown in the photos of the largest set of slave jaws, it happened to be available and cheap.
              It's possible to purchase the original soft jaws that fit into the scroll from Arc Euro.I believe Chris at LMS was going to find a source.
              Once you have them,they have to be modified.IE drilled and tapped and bored out for dowel pins.
              I understand this work holding method is not popular.
              Or consider using a 4 jaw chuck as an alternative.
              Material choice for you adaptor sleeve,try purchasing some alloy tube.
              John
              Spain.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                What is the purpose to add extension on it? What is the pro and con for it?

                Reid

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                  The cross slide movement away from the bed does not move the toolpost sufficiently to allow its use in a normal manner for larger diameter work you have to get creative with tool positioning.

                  Plus points
                  The extension mod allows a further movement away from the bed allowing larger pieces to be turned with normally mounted tools and larger still with repositioning

                  It is relatively cheap as it utilises the existing lathe parts and only requires a spacer block to be made

                  It is quite simple

                  Minus points
                  Requires milling or filing of the saddle casting to allow further movement of the cross slide away from the bed. Although the mod can be reversed the modified saddle is then non original

                  As the existing operating screw is re-used it will unscrew from the operating nut when the cross slide moves toward the centre of the bed so control of movement will be lost when trying to use a boring bar for smaller diameters

                  From my experience the benefit far exceeds the drawbacks if one want s to machine larger diameter pieces and does little boring or threading of small diameters

                  The removal of saddle material is fairly easily done and requires little precision . As the saddle is cast iron it can be done by hand with a file if a mill is not available. The removal of material does not unduly weaken the casting

                  If one wants to regularly bore smaller diameters it is quite easy to make a boring bar holder that positions the bar further toward the centre of the lathe axis and the working position before the  cross slide operating screw comes loose

                  There are other mods that achieve the same without the drawbacks but require the manufacture of a new longer operating screw and the relocation of the associated nut

                  Gerry W
                  Leeds UK

                  To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                    LMS sells the longer lead screw by itself so you get the original distance fore and aft plus the additional movement needed for the larger diameter pieces. They only had them recently for a short time, but you can get on the list for when the next order comes in. On the right side of the page there is a notify me when available link.

                    Right now they are also out of the complete extended cross slide kit, but you can also get on the notify me list for it too if you prefer to just do an installation.

                    You can make the modification using the old lead screw and when not needing the extra travel simply remove the extension block. The block is easy to install and remove. That's what I did until the last order of the extended lead screw #4452 was available.

                    Floyd

[...]

                    From my experience the benefit far exceeds the drawbacks if one want s to machine larger diameter pieces and does little boring or threading of small diameters The removal of saddle material is fairly easily done and requires little precision . As the saddle is cast iron it can be done by hand with a file if a mill is not available. The removal of material does not unduly weaken the casting If one wants to regularly bore smaller diameters it is quite easy to make a boring bar holder that positions the bar further toward the centre of the lathe axis and the working position before the  cross slide operating screw comes loose There are other mods that achieve the same without the drawbacks but require the manufacture of a new longer operating screw and the relocation of the associated nut Gerry W Leeds UK
                    To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com From: reidsim@... Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:16:49 -0600 Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] How to make an adapter sleeve

                    http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/xslidemod.html

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                      Hello Gerry, I believe Allan was also interested in these mods.

                      See link of mods to the cross slide.

                      you will see I put in a double nut arrangement inline so that the screw can never come off the end.
                      made a new set of nuts 10mm x 1mm LH thanks to Andy's homemade hand tap,.original nut location hole repositioned.
                      managed to put in a bearing at the front end of the new extension collar,
                      machined away the casting to clear the nut
                      new larger swivel plate with indexing holes.
                      scraped slides and added oilways
                      4 x new holes added so rotation of the compound can be done without having to wind out the slide all the way.
                      quite a lot of work,but well worth the effort.

                      John
                      Spain

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 18, 2013
                        Quite a few vendors sell extruded aluminum tubing with the exact size of 3.5 inch ID and 3.25 inch OD (0.125 inch wall thickness). A few inches will cost you under $5, plus shipping.

                        https://www.speedymetals.com/ps-4611-193-3-12-od-x-125-wall-tube-6061-t6-aluminum.aspx
                        http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4740&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

                        It might not be perfectly smooth, but that's probably beneficial for this sort of application. Cut the tube at least once to allow the mount's clamping action to work, of course.

                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jwc C <jwcc8@...> wrote:

                        > tony...
                        >
                        > Consider using  aluminum round stock or tube or pipe...MACHINE AS REQUIRED....
                        > 6063-T5 aluminum pipe schedule 40, NPS 3.0 inch size is 3.5"OD and 3.068" ID
                        >
                        > or you might consider steel or PVC pipe.   I don't have the data for these at hand at the time, but should be easy to find.
                        >
                        > JWCC8
                        >

                        > >________________________________

                      • Jwc C
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 19, 2013
                          olawor......

                          I am still trying to draw a tube (such as you describe)  with the Outside diameter(OD)  smaller than the Inside diameter (ID) unsuccesfully..
                          Just in case I have a future need for such an extrusion...Can you tell  which vendors stock such a rare extrusion?  :  )))

                          JWCC8

                          Quite a few vendors sell extruded aluminum tubing with the exact size of 3.5 inch ID and 3.25 inch OD (0.125 inch wall thickness).  A few inches will cost you under $5, plus shipping.

                          https://www.speedymetals.com/ps-4611-193-3-12-od-x-125-wall-tube-6061-t6-aluminum.aspx
                          http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4740&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

                          It might not be perfectly smooth, but that's probably beneficial for this sort of application.  Cut the tube at least once to allow the mount's clamping action to work, of course.

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jwc C <jwcc8@...> wrote:

                          > tony...
                          >
                          > Consider using  aluminum round stock or tube or pipe...MACHINE AS REQUIRED....
                          > 6063-T5 aluminum pipe schedule 40, NPS 3.0 inch size is 3.5"OD and 3.068" ID
                          >
                          > or you might consider steel or PVC pipe.   I don't have the data for these at hand at the time, but should be easy to find.
                          >
                          > JWCC8
                          >

                          > >________________________________

                        • a3sigma
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 19, 2013
                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jwc C <jwcc8@...> wrote:

                            > olawor......
                            >
                            > I am still trying to draw a tube (such as you describe)  with the Outside diameter(OD)  smaller than the Inside diameter (ID) unsuccesfully..
                            > Just in case I have a future need for such an extrusion...Can you tell  which vendors stock such a rare extrusion?  :  )))
                            >
                            > JWCC8

                            I've made a number of those, and will be happy to send you some if I can just find them. They've disappeared along with my 0-1 inch inside micrometers. Some fool must have closed the damn things...

                            DC

                            (I'll stop now... must be the heat...)