Re: No money for a power feed, but larger hand wheels?

  • peterantonvich
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
      I tried this - magic smoked up my $10 (10A really rated at 5A) pwm off ebay with about 20 minutes of work - was working great up until that point. I even put a fan on it because I noticed it would get hot - but got sidetracked and didn't let it take a break and puff!

      Does anyone have better suggestions for a motor controller with a cordless drill for a power feed?

      thanks
      Pete

      > A very cheap and suitable motor can be scrounged from an old discarded cordless drill. Lots of them with bad batteries and chargers. The DC motors seldom go bad. A $10 pwm off of ebay coupled with a $5 3 position switch for motor control, and an old 12V battery charger for power.

    • DaleE
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
        Hi,

        Interesting, I've not had that problem - yet.... I used a HF 14.4V drill motor with a 12V DC power supply. The ampre gauge shows that at most it draws 5A during rapid traverse and only 1A to 2A at normal feed rates. While it is possible that you simply got a bad pwm. Perhaps the heat sinks were not large enough. I try to find the ones with the largest/most heat sinks for better cooling.

        It is also possible your motor has a heavier draw. You may need to put an amp gauge in to find out just how much amperage is being drawn.

        There are heavier duty pwm's available on eBay that are rated to 20A for around $15-$20. Perhaps this is what is needed for your power feed.

        Dale

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "peterantonvich" <pantonvich@...> wrote:

        > I tried this - magic smoked up my $10 (10A really rated at 5A) pwm off ebay with about 20 minutes of work - was working great up until that point. I even put a fan on it because I noticed it would get hot - but got sidetracked and didn't let it take a break and puff!
        >
        > Does anyone have better suggestions for a motor controller with a cordless drill for a power feed?
        >
        > thanks
        > Pete
        >
        > > A very cheap and suitable motor can be scrounged from an old discarded cordless drill. Lots of them with bad batteries and chargers. The DC motors seldom go bad. A $10 pwm off of ebay coupled with a $5 3 position switch for motor control, and an old 12V battery charger for power.

      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
          Pete,

          I rolled my own a few years ago. The problem child was and is the power supply side. If you are into electronics make a crude PWM with a 555 and the FET from the cordless drill contoller. It will have a heat-sink on it and is easy to find in the drill.

          The computer power supply did not like the surges and a 10 Amp HP power supply cannot provide enough at start up. Still working on the problem. The work around is a wheelchair/golf cart type deep cycle battery.

          Regards,

          Andrew in Melbourne

          On 16/07/13 03:57, peterantonvich wrote:

          I tried this - magic smoked up my $10 (10A really rated at 5A) pwm off ebay with about 20 minutes of work - was working great up until that point. I even put a fan on it because I noticed it would get hot - but got sidetracked and didn't let it take a break and puff!

          Does anyone have better suggestions for a motor controller with a cordless drill for a power feed?

          thanks
          Pete

          > A very cheap and suitable motor can be scrounged from an old discarded cordless drill. Lots of them with bad batteries and chargers. The DC motors seldom go bad. A $10 pwm off of ebay coupled with a $5 3 position switch for motor control, and an old 12V battery charger for power.

        • Jwc C
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
            I would use a marine or automotive battery charger for the power supply...60 and 80 amps are common.
            JWCC8

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
              A little over-kill but may work.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
                I was using a 18v 4A power supply from a computer.

                The power supply would cut out if I cranked the speed too high or too fast.

                I didn't think to use my amp gauge on the motor to see the draw.

                The controller I paid around $12 bucks for (and looks just like) one now listed for $57 - different seller. the seller I used doesn't look to be on ebay anymore.

                I was looking at a few heavier ones but before I spent more good money on bad ideas... I was hoping someone had a good suggestion.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
                  I think I already ditched the switch from the cordless drill.

                  I know just enough to know what a 555 chip is but not enough to come up with my own circuit...

                  with the supply and controller I used - I had to ramp up the speed slowly - or it would cut out.

                  I'm just learning to use the mill - so the slow feed rate I was able to get out of was fine for my lms mill and my limited milling experience!

                  thanks again for your help.

                  Pete
                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <akayton1@...> wrote:

                  > Pete,
                  >
                  > I rolled my own a few years ago. The problem child was and is the power
                  > supply side. If you are into electronics make a crude PWM with a 555 and
                  > the FET from the cordless drill contoller. It will have a heat-sink on
                  > it and is easy to find in the drill.
                  >
                  > The computer power supply did not like the surges and a 10 Amp HP power
                  > supply cannot provide enough at start up. Still working on the problem.
                  > The work around is a wheelchair/golf cart type deep cycle battery.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Andrew in Melbourne
                  >
                  > On 16/07/13 03:57, peterantonvich wrote:
                  > >

                  > > I tried this - magic smoked up my $10 (10A really rated at 5A) pwm off
                  > > ebay with about 20 minutes of work - was working great up until that
                  > > point. I even put a fan on it because I noticed it would get hot - but
                  > > got sidetracked and didn't let it take a break and puff!
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone have better suggestions for a motor controller with a
                  > > cordless drill for a power feed?
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > > Pete
                  > >
                  > > > A very cheap and suitable motor can be scrounged from an old
                  > > discarded cordless drill. Lots of them with bad batteries and
                  > > chargers. The DC motors seldom go bad. A $10 pwm off of ebay coupled
                  > > with a $5 3 position switch for motor control, and an old 12V battery
                  > > charger for power.

                • peterantonvich
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
                    I bet I could get some real smoke with my ebay controller and 60amps

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <akayton1@...> wrote:

                    > A little over-kill but may work.
                    >
                    > On 16/07/13 10:03, Jwc C wrote:
                    > > I would use a marine or automotive battery charger for the power
                    > > supply...60 and 80 amps are common.
                    > > JWCC8

                  • Darren M
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
                      I also used a Harbor Freight drill but mine is the 18V 67024. I used the original trigger controller by soldering leads from the PCB contact area for the trigger to a potentiometer. The original power transistor and heat sink I mounted in a piece of 1-1/4 plastic sink trap tube that slips over the rear of the motor. This holdes the heat sink in it's original position as installed in the drill and the motors internal fan pulls air over the heat sink.

                      For power I initially used the original wall wart parallel to the original battery. I have since switch over to a 24V 5 amp transformer and custom built regulator. Works great!

                      Sorry, no pictures at this time. But some where I have the diagram I drew to show the trigger mod.

                      My next one I am going to base on the 67028 cordless impact driver which is currently on sale for 19.99.

                      Darren M.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
                        I meant to say "from .5 amps (trickle)  up to 60 or 80 amps (bulk) battery chargers are common " ...

                        My message was addressed to the comment "problem child was and is the power supply side" and to identify a source of hi power that is easy to find and match to your requirements.
                         PC computer power supplies are designed for strict voltage output regulation, low ripple, whereas motor controllers are not as critical.  Batteries are fine, but you still need a charger...

                        I use (most of ) a 32 vdc @ 40A marine charger  to provide 42 VDC (pulses) bus bars for linear regulators custom made as required. Originally acquired for a foam cutter  for airfoil molds, it is now an unregulated source of DC power for the shop.  It also powers a drill motor that provides low rpms for my Jet 9x20 lathe's spindle.

                        2n3055 transistors in parallel can be used as  power drivers for a  LM555 type IC configured as PWM logic signal (one of many options).

                        jwcc8