RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Real Bull Belt Drive Conversion Completed

  • gerry waclawiak
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hi Charlie,

      I am very pleased to hear that you have completed your  RB mill conversion and are happy with the result

      I have the Sieg and made my own due to the cost of importing from the US and was delighted with the results

      I was particularly pleased and perhaps a little relieved as it was I who found out about the conversion when I visited the SPG stand at the annual Model Engineering Exhibition at Harrogate here in the UK and posted the details online. I would hate to think it hadn't worked out.

      I did think the belt guard looked a little fragile when I saw it but the important thing is that it works properly. When I made my conversion I was very keen to get it running so ran it without and never quite got round to making one. It's not a safety hazard to me as I am the only person who works in my shop and whilst it is running your fingers or anything else never go near the belt. It would be different if there were casual visitors especially children who might be inclined to prod and poke. Not really an excuse and not something a commercial seller could get away with

      I left all the guts in place as I didn't want to pull the head as I had done all the cleaning lapping and adjusting to the head generally years prior. Anyway I  have never had any bother so I would sayitsup to the user rather than essential

      SPG do seem to to take their customers (and potential ones) seriously as following on from my original email enquiry I got several asking if I wanted further details or to buy one

      I ended up explaining to them that I had a belt drive Sieg and had made a general enquiry on behalf of group members here who had asked whether a RB conversion kit existed.  They subsequently replied to thank me and to inform me that they had a US enquiry and shipped a kit, which I presume was to your good self Charlie

      I'll forward the post to SPG for their info I am sure they will be pleased to know that your opinion is largely favourable

      Thanks for the feedback to the group and sharing your photos

      Gerry W
      Leeds UK

      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      From: clevinski@...
      Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 02:47:37 +0000
      Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Real Bull Belt Drive Conversion Completed

      Hi, All,

      First, thanks to all of you who encouraged me to convert my Real Bull mini-mill to belt drive.  The difference in noise is especially noticeable; think of it as a sewing machine versus a tumbler full of marbles.  Last time I had to mill for any length of time, I had to wear hearing protection.  Now my wife can't even hear the machine running from upstairs, and it's more or less under her recliner.

      Some history... I couldn't find a bolt-on belt drive conversion for the RB mini-mill in the US, so I ended up ordering one from SPG Tools in England (email: spghinckley@...).  They have been really great about support; when it took three weeks to arrive here (thank you, Royal Mail and US Postal Service), they were more upset than I was.  I am really happy, but in the interest of full disclosure I will say that the plastic plug they provide to fill the hole where the high/low gear lever was formerly located was too large, and the belt safety cover is too fragile.  In fact, mine cracked before I installed it, and I've glued it.  If it doesn't hold, I'll make one out of some 1/4 inch plexiglass I have around.

      SPG believes that you should not leave the unneeded gears and miscellaneous bits and pieces inside the head; the way they explained it to me was that they didn't feel it was reliable to just leave the transmission in neutral.  So their instructions have you remove all the gears, high/low fork and lever, intermediate shaft, etc.  The entire process from beginning until I powered the mill up under belt drive took about 3 1/2 hours, but only because I spent half an hour straightening out some burrs on the gib strip and the column itself.  Everything is bolt on except the aforementioned belt safety cover.  This has to be sanded to clear the space between the motor bracket and the top of the mill casting, a process that took about 5 minutes with some coarse sandpaper.

      I took a few pictures along the way...

      I can recommend this kit if you have the Real Bull mini-mill; it makes a huge difference!
      Thanks,
      Charlie

    • CLevinski
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 14, 2013
        Hi, Gerry,

        Thank you for providing me with their name; it has worked out very well,
        and SPG has been very supportive!

        Thanks,
        Charlie

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak wrote:

> [...]
        miscellaneous bits and pieces inside the head; the way they explained it
        to me was that they didn't feel it was reliable to just leave the
        transmission in neutral. So their instructions have you remove all the
        gears, high/low fork and lever, intermediate shaft, etc. The entire
        process from beginning until I powered the mill up under belt drive took
        about 3 1/2 hours, but only because I spent half an hour straightening
        out some burrs on the gib strip and the column itself. Everything is
        bolt on except the aforementioned belt safety cover. This has to be
        sanded to clear the space between the motor bracket and the top of the
        mill casting, a process that took about 5 minutes with some coarse
        sandpaper.

        > I took a few pictures along the way...
        >

        > Mill head with parts removed Closeup of parts removed SPG Tool Belt
        Conversion Kit Main Bracket Mounted Add Spindle Pulley and Spindle Nut
        Mount Motor Pulley, remount motor to new Motor Bracket Finished
        conversion with motor covers and belt safety cover installed I can
        recommend this kit if you have the Real Bull mini-mill; it makes a huge
        difference!
        > Thanks,
        > Charlie

      • CLevinski
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 14, 2013
          Thanks, John!

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Lindo wrote:

          > Hi Charlie.
          > I have put out an enquiry for a Weiss mill conversion.
          > lets see what happens.
          > Never had any problems after 6 years,but can be noisy during fly
          cutting
          > Well done on the conversion.
          >
          > John
          > Spain
          >

          > >________________________________

          straightening out some burrs on the gib strip and the column itself.Â
          Everything is bolt on except the aforementioned belt safety cover.Â
          This has to be sanded to clear the space between the motor bracket and
          the top of the mill casting, a process that took about 5 minutes with
          some coarse sandpaper.

          > >I took a few pictures along the way...
          > >

          > > * Mill head with parts removedÂ
          > > * Closeup of parts removedÂ
          > > * SPG Tool Belt Conversion KitÂ
          > > * Main Bracket MountedÂ
          > > * Add Spindle Pulley and Spindle NutÂ
          > > * Mount Motor Pulley, remount motor to new Motor BracketÂ
          > > * Finished conversion with motor covers and belt safety cover
          installedÂ
          > >I can recommend this kit if you have the Real Bull mini-mill; it
          makes a huge difference!
          > >Thanks,
          > >Charlie

        • gerry waclawiak
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2013
            Hi Charlie,

            you are welcome, spreading the news is what these groups are all about

            I've sent SPG a copy of your post as feedback

            cheers

            Gerry W
            Leeds UK

            To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
            From: clevinski@...
            Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 12:11:25 +0000
            Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Real Bull Belt Drive Conversion Completed

> [...]

            process from beginning until I powered the mill up under belt drive took
            about 3 1/2 hours, but only because I spent half an hour straightening
            out some burrs on the gib strip and the column itself. Everything is
            bolt on except the aforementioned belt safety cover. This has to be
            sanded to clear the space between the motor bracket and the top of the
            mill casting, a process that took about 5 minutes with some coarse
            sandpaper.

            > I took a few pictures along the way...
            >

            > Mill head with parts removed Closeup of parts removed SPG Tool Belt
            Conversion Kit Main Bracket Mounted Add Spindle Pulley and Spindle Nut
            Mount Motor Pulley, remount motor to new Motor Bracket Finished
            conversion with motor covers and belt safety cover installed I can
            recommend this kit if you have the Real Bull mini-mill; it makes a huge

          • CLevinski
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
              Hi,

              I checked the top speed of the converted mini-mill today and marked the speed control with a few reference speeds.  The top speed with the belt in the "low" position is 1900 RPM, and in the "high" position it's 3900 RPM.  I can't imagine why I'd want to go that fast, except maybe to use a 1/16" end mill!  But the surprising thing was that it hummed right along with no vibration at 3900 RPM.  I was really surprised, especially after all the original gear noise that started around... well, around 100 RPM... :D

              Charlie

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "CLevinski" wrote:

              > Hi, All,
              >
              > First, thanks to all of you who encouraged me to convert my Real Bull
              > mini-mill to belt drive. The difference in noise is especially
              > noticeable; think of it as a sewing machine versus a tumbler full of
              > marbles. Last time I had to mill for any length of time, I had to wear
              > hearing protection. Now my wife can't even hear the machine running
              > from upstairs, and it's more or less under her recliner.
              >
              > Some history... I couldn't find a bolt-on belt drive conversion for the
              > RB mini-mill in the US, so I ended up ordering one from SPG Tools in
              > England (email: spghinckley@...
              > > about support; when it took three weeks to arrive here (thank you, Royal
              > Mail and US Postal Service), they were more upset than I was. I am
              > really happy, but in the interest of full disclosure I will say that the
              > plastic plug they provide to fill the hole where the high/low gear lever
              > was formerly located was too large, and the belt safety cover is too
              > fragile. In fact, mine cracked before I installed it, and I've glued
              > it. If it doesn't hold, I'll make one out of some 1/4 inch plexiglass I
              > have around.
              >
              > SPG believes that you should not leave the unneeded gears and
              > miscellaneous bits and pieces inside the head; the way they explained it
              > to me was that they didn't feel it was reliable to just leave the
              > transmission in neutral. So their instructions have you remove all the
              > gears, high/low fork and lever, intermediate shaft, etc. The entire
              > process from beginning until I powered the mill up under belt drive took
              > about 3 1/2 hours, but only because I spent half an hour straightening
              > out some burrs on the gib strip and the column itself. Everything is
              > bolt on except the aforementioned belt safety cover. This has to be
              > sanded to clear the space between the motor bracket and the top of the
              > mill casting, a process that took about 5 minutes with some coarse
              > sandpaper.
              >
              > I took a few pictures along the way...
              >

              > * Mill head with parts removed
              > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20137_zps78b6d593.jpg>
              > * Closeup of parts removed
              > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20136_zpsb021e8e6.jpg>
              > * SPG Tool Belt Conversion Kit
              > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20134_zps520fb2d6.jpg>
              > * Main Bracket Mounted
              > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20135_zps84897ac1.jpg>
              > * Add Spindle Pulley and Spindle Nut
              > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20133_zps0741d779.jpg>
              > * Mount Motor Pulley, remount motor to new Motor Bracket
              > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20132_zps97a418f3.jpg>
              > * Finished conversion with motor covers and belt safety cover
              > installed
              > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20131_zpsc2bfbc5a.jpg>
              >
              > I can recommend this kit if you have the Real Bull mini-mill; it makes a
              > huge difference!
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Charlie

            • gerry waclawiak
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                Hi Charlie.

                The high speeds are as you say relevant for small drills and mills.

                I model 1/19scale live steam locos  and there are a lot of holes for small screws and rivets and the increased speed is very useful.

                The smoothness and quietness is an added bonus

                Gerry W
                Leeds UK

                To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                From: clevinski@...
                Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 01:49:19 +0000

> [...]

                > sandpaper.
                >
                > I took a few pictures along the way...
                >

                > * Mill head with parts removed
                > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20137_zps78b6d593.jpg>
                > * Closeup of parts removed
                > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20136_zpsb021e8e6.jpg>
                > * SPG Tool Belt Conversion Kit
                > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20134_zps520fb2d6.jpg>
                > * Main Bracket Mounted
                > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20135_zps84897ac1.jpg>
                > * Add Spindle Pulley and Spindle Nut
                > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20133_zps0741d779.jpg>
                > * Mount Motor Pulley, remount motor to new Motor Bracket
                > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20132_zps97a418f3.jpg>
                > * Finished conversion with motor covers and belt safety cover
                > installed
                > > lBullBeltDriveConversionJuly20131_zpsc2bfbc5a.jpg>
                >
                > I can recommend this kit if you have the Real Bull mini-mill; it makes a

              • CLevinski
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                  Hi, Gerry,

                  Am I correct in assuming that "live steam" means they actually work?

                  I've been fascinated by the idea of building live steam anything (though I worked for a hobby company that made model train controls for 10 years; I sort of got hooked on trains a bit) and am thinking about pursuing it when I retire. (Hopefully in the not too distant future.) Is there a particularly helpful website where I could learn some of the basics on machining and building these?

                  Many thanks,
                  Charlie

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Charlie.
                  >
                  > The high speeds are as you say relevant for small drills and mills.
                  >
                  > I model 1/19scale live steam locos and there are a lot of holes for small screws and rivets and the increased speed is very useful.
                  >
                  > The smoothness and quietness is an added bonus
                  >
                  > Gerry W
                  > Leeds UK
                • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                    Charlie

                    Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such as:
                    <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>
                    The is an absolute mine of information in there, from techniques to models.
                    There is a set of two CD discs of the articles floating about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920, that were scanned by the late James Early.

                    Malcolm

                    Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                    The writing is on the wall.
                    Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

                    Am I correct in assuming that "live steam" means they actually work?

                    I've been fascinated by the idea of building live steam anything (though I worked for a hobby company that made model train controls for 10 years; I sort of got hooked on trains a bit) and am thinking about pursuing it when I retire. (Hopefully in the not too distant future.) Is there a particularly helpful website where I could learn some of the basics on machining and building these?

                    Many thanks,
                    Charlie

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Charlie.
                    >
                    > The high speeds are as you say relevant for small drills and mills.
                    >
                    > I model 1/19scale live steam locos and there are a lot of holes for small screws and rivets and the increased speed is very useful.
                    >
                    > The smoothness and quietness is an added bonus
                    >
                    > Gerry W
                    > Leeds UK

                  • Floyd Burkett
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                      I always thought this was a neat little steam engine, and figured it could be made larger or smaller for that matter.

                      LMS also has several model steam engine plans available under models.

                      Floyd

                      Charlie Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such as: <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/> The is an absolute mine of information in there, from techniques to models. There is a set of two CD discs of the articles floating about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920, that were scanned by the late James Early. Malcolm

                      I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it! Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin The writing is on the wall. Ha-ktovet al ha-kir
                      Hi, Gerry, Am I correct in assuming that "live steam" means they actually work? I've been fascinated by the idea of building live steam anything (though I worked for a hobby company that made model train controls for 10 years; I sort of got hooked on trains a bit) and am thinking about pursuing it when I retire. (Hopefully in the not too distant future.) Is there a particularly helpful website where I could learn some of the basics on machining and building these? Many thanks, Charlie
                      --- In mailto:GrizHFMinimill%40yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote: > > Hi Charlie. > > The high speeds are as you say relevant for small drills and mills. > > I model 1/19scale live steam locos and there are a lot of holes for small screws and rivets and the increased speed is very useful. > > The smoothness and quietness is an added bonus > > Gerry W > Leeds UK
                    • SirJohnOfYork
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                        On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

                        Charlie

                        Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such as:
                        <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>
                        The is an absolute mine of information in there, from techniques to models.
                        There is a set of two CD discs of the articles floating about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920, that were scanned by the late James Early.
                         A warning about nesting model train layouts:
                        http://xkcd.com/878/

                          Beware the Matryoshka limit!
                         :-)
                         Cheers,
                         John Z.

                      • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                          Also applies to folding paper in half, six times is the limit also.

                          Malcolm

                          Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                          The writing is on the wall.
                          Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

                          Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Live Steam Locomotives - A Warning
                          To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                            Charlie, I noticed you have interest in Live Steam.Google     " Builders of Kozo locomotives engines"
                            The Pennsylvania A-3 Switcher is a good locomotive to start with. Kozo explains in depth how to build the locomotive and the tender.I built it, mine only runs on compressed air. Any steam engine will run on compressed air. I did a poor job of hard soldering the boiler, lest only running on air.It would be beneficial to join a Live Steam Club. The locomotive I built is 3/4 scale. Be prepared to spend at least $2000.00 in material alone. The copper for the boiler,firebox and tender will set you back $1000.00 alone.
                            It took me 3 years working part time to complete the locomotive. I enjoyed almost every minute of it.
                            I did get mighty frustrated with my hard soldering skills, I'm better at it now and maybe someday will build an engine in 1-1/2 scale.3/4 scale is more difficult for me because of the tiny fasteners.If you ever had to tap  -80 threads you know what I mean.
                            mike

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                              Knock it off, do not go so far off topic. Back to amateur Machining please.|
                              Thank you

                              Barry Young

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
                                Also does not apply to amateur machining, back on topic.

                                Barry

                                Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 10:58 PM

                                    On 7/23/2013 8:01 AM, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

                                            Charlie

                                              Look for the old Model Engineer articles, such
                                as:

                                              <http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/>

                                              The is an absolute mine of information in
                                there, from
                                              techniques to models.

                                              There is a set of two CD discs of the articles
                                floating
                                              about on the web somewhere, dating from 1920,
                                that were
                                              scanned by the late James Early.

                                     A warning about nesting model train
                                layouts:

                                    http://xkcd.com/878/

                                      Beware the Matryoshka limit!

                                     :-)

                                     Cheers,

                                     John Z.

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                    GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • CLevinski
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
                                  Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
                                  locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
                                  machining project...

                                  Many thanks,
                                  Charlie
                                • Ralph
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 25, 2013
                                    Charlie
                                    You can find a lot of information and help on the Chaski live steam group.

                                    http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=0941c87b63c2f26dfb23ed9a382d7b87

                                    Ralph
                                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "CLevinski" <clevinski@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks to everyone for the comments on building steam engines and
                                    > locomotives! I'm going to start looking into this as a retirement
                                    > machining project...
                                    >
                                    > Many thanks,
                                    > Charlie

                                  • CLevinski