Convert a 120V Grizzly mill to 220V?

  • BillC
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 7, 2013

      Hi All,

         I just purchased a Grizzly 120V G0619 6"x21" Mill/Drill (also called a "S-X3" on Amazon), and I would like to know how to internally convert or switch it to 220V. (I have read that this mill internally runs off of 220V).  Is this possible, or should I just purchase a 220V to 120V step-down transformer?

      Many thanks,

      -Bill

    • Randy Smith
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 7, 2013
        Bill; Grizzly's tech support is very good, So I would call them and ask
        if they can give you directions. Are you somewhere the standard voltage
        is 220V? or do you just want to run the mill off 220V for efficiency?

        According to the spec sheet, it is only for 110V.

        Later.... Randy S
        Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

        On 7/7/2013 6:35 PM, BillC wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I just purchased a Grizzly 120V G0619 6"x21" Mill/Drill (also called
        > a "S-X3" on Amazon), and I would like to know how to internally convert
        > or switch it to 220V. (I have read that this mill internally runs off of
        > 220V). Is this possible, or should I just purchase a 220V to 120V
        > step-down transformer?
        >

        > http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/ .jpg
      • BillC
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 7, 2013

          Hi Randy,

             Thanks for the response.  I live in the USA with normal 120V mains, but since I have one 20A and one 50A 220V high current receptacle in my "shop", and since I've pretty much tapped out all of the possible current from the 120s for my other equipment, I figure going to 220V is the way to go!

          Best,

          -Bill

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith wrote:

          > Bill; Grizzly's tech support is very good, So I would call them and ask
          > if they can give you directions. Are you somewhere the standard voltage
          > is 220V? or do you just want to run the mill off 220V for efficiency?
          >
          > According to the spec sheet, it is only for 110V.
          >

          > Later.... Randy S
          > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
          >

          > On 7/7/2013 6:35 PM, BillC wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I just purchased a Grizzly 120V G0619 6"x21" Mill/Drill (also called
          > > a "S-X3" on Amazon), and I would like to know how to internally convert
          > > or switch it to 220V. (I have read that this mill internally runs off of
          > > 220V). Is this possible, or should I just purchase a 220V to 120V
          > > step-down transformer?
          > >

          > > http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/ .jpg

        • Robert Francis
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
            Just use half of the 240 outlet. Each phase is 120 volts.

            On 7/7/2013 22:15, BillC wrote:

            Hi Randy,

               Thanks for the response.  I live in the USA with normal 120V mains, but since I have one 20A and one 50A 220V high current receptacle in my "shop", and since I've pretty much tapped out all of the possible current from the 120s for my other equipment, I figure going to 220V is the way to go!

            Best,

            -Bill

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith wrote:

            > Bill; Grizzly's tech support is very good, So I would call them and ask
            > if they can give you directions. Are you somewhere the standard voltage
            > is 220V? or do you just want to run the mill off 220V for efficiency?
            >
            > According to the spec sheet, it is only for 110V.
            >

            > Later.... Randy S
            > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
            >

            > On 7/7/2013 6:35 PM, BillC wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I just purchased a Grizzly 120V G0619 6"x21" Mill/Drill (also called
            > > a "S-X3" on Amazon), and I would like to know how to internally convert
            > > or switch it to 220V. (I have read that this mill internally runs off of
            > > 220V). Is this possible, or should I just purchase a 220V to 120V
            > > step-down transformer?
            > >

            > > http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/ .jpg

          • Robert Furmanak

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
                  Thanks all, but I have no neutral on my 220V receptacles, as they are three wire types (for welding), or I would have split them to 120V. And I wish I could get an electrician out here to rewire for a panel, but it may stir up a can of worms as my added garage wiring for the shop is safe, but not 100% legit...

                  -Bill

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "BillC" <billcalley@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  > I just purchased a Grizzly 120V G0619 6"x21" Mill/Drill (also called
                  > a "S-X3" on Amazon), and I would like to know how to internally convert
                  > or switch it to 220V. (I have read that this mill internally runs off of
                  > 220V). Is this possible, or should I just purchase a 220V to 120V
                  > step-down transformer?
                  > Many thanks,
                  > -Bill
                  > http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0619.jpg
                  > <http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0619.jpg>

                • Darren M
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
                    Bill, go to this site and tell us which outlet is your 220....

                    http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/web/outlet/quailplug.html

                    Darren M.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
                      You can add a ground rod at your receptacle, by driving a ground rod.

                      Then use the existing ground as a neutral. Plus if you have 120 volt
                      receptacles there anyway , use the ground from the 120 receptacle for
                      ground and the neutral from the 240 receptacle.

                      All kinds of options.
                    • BillC
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
                        I think that sounds like a plan! Thanks Bob!

                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Robert Francis <bobf0648@...> wrote:

                        > You can add a ground rod at your receptacle, by driving a ground rod.
                        >
                        > Then use the existing ground as a neutral. Plus if you have 120 volt
                        > receptacles there anyway , use the ground from the 120 receptacle for
                        > ground and the neutral from the 240 receptacle.
                        >
                        > All kinds of options.

                      • Bill Cally
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013

                          Hi Darren,

                             It's a NEMA 6-50R receptacle.

                          Thanks,

                          -Bill

                          Bill, go to this site and tell us which outlet is your 220....

                          http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/web/outlet/quailplug.html

                          Darren M.

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "BillC" <billcalley@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks all, but I have no neutral on my 220V receptacles, as they are three wire types (for welding), or I would have split them to 120V. And I wish I could get an electrician out here to rewire for a panel, but it may stir up a can of worms as my added garage wiring for the shop is safe, but not 100% legit...
                          >
                          > -Bill
                          >
                          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "BillC" <billcalley@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hi All,
                          > > I just purchased a Grizzly 120V G0619 6"x21" Mill/Drill (also called
                          > > a "S-X3" on Amazon), and I would like to know how to internally convert
                          > > or switch it to 220V. (I have read that this mill internally runs off of
                          > > 220V). Is this possible, or should I just purchase a 220V to 120V
                          > > step-down transformer?
                          > > Many thanks,
                          > > -Bill
                          > > http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0619.jpg
                          > > <http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0619.jpg>

                        • Stephen Castello
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
                            On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 07:02:22 -0500, Robert Francis
                            <bobf0648@...> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

                            >You can add a ground rod at your receptacle, by driving a ground rod.
                            >
                            >Then use the existing ground as a neutral. Plus if you have 120 volt
                            >receptacles there anyway , use the ground from the 120 receptacle for
                            >ground and the neutral from the 240 receptacle.

                            Use the ground as a neutral is not safe, you'll either electrocute
                            someone or lightning strike will burn the place down and insurance
                            won't cover that.

                            --

                            Stephen

                            Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.
                          • Robert Francis
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
                              On 7/9/2013 16:07, Stephen Castello wrote:

                              On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 07:02:22 -0500, Robert Francis
                              <bobf0648@...> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

                              >You can add a ground rod at your receptacle, by driving a ground rod.
                              >
                              >Then use the existing ground as a neutral. Plus if you have 120 volt
                              >receptacles there anyway , use the ground from the 120 receptacle for
                              >ground and the neutral from the 240 receptacle.

                              Use the ground as a neutral is not safe, you'll either electrocute
                              someone or lightning strike will burn the place down and insurance
                              won't cover that.

                              --

                              Stephen

                              Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.

                              Not if you add a ground at the receptacle ! Then the existing "ground" becomes a neutral. And you have a local ground. That is in fact the definitions of ground and neutral.
                              The existing ground wire is now the return (neutral) and the added ground rod is the drain or earth.
                              In effect you have added a branch panel, and this is exactly how a branch panel is added.
                            • Stephen Castello
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
                                On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 16:14:35 -0500, Robert Francis
                                <bobf0648@...> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

                                >On 7/9/2013 16:07, Stephen Castello wrote:
                                >>
                                >> On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 07:02:22 -0500, Robert Francis
                                >> <bobf0648@... <mailto:bobf0648%40gmail.com>> had a flock of
                                >> green cheek conures squawk out:
                                >>
                                >> >You can add a ground rod at your receptacle, by driving a ground rod.
                                >> >
                                >> >Then use the existing ground as a neutral. Plus if you have 120 volt
                                >> >receptacles there anyway , use the ground from the 120 receptacle for
                                >> >ground and the neutral from the 240 receptacle.
                                >>
                                >> Use the ground as a neutral is not safe, you'll either electrocute
                                >> someone or lightning strike will burn the place down and insurance
                                >> won't cover that.
                                >>
                                >> --
                                >>
                                >> Stephen
                                >>
                                >> Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.
                                >>

                                >Not if you add a ground at the receptacle ! Then the existing "ground"
                                >becomes a neutral. And you have a local ground. That is in fact the
                                >definitions of ground and neutral.
                                >The existing ground wire is now the return (neutral) and the added
                                >ground rod is the drain or earth.
                                >In effect you have added a branch panel, and this is exactly how a
                                >branch panel is added.

                                In the USA, Neutral is not Ground and Ground is not Neutral. Ask any
                                Licensed Electrician.

                                --

                                Stephen

                                Dachshunds are really small crocodiles with fur.
                              • Robert Francis
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
                                  Ground and neutral, in the USA and other places return to the same
                                  potential. Earth. The difference between ground and neutral is ground
                                  carries no current potential, it is only a drain for stray current. If
                                  he does as I suggested, he turns the now ground, into a neutral, adds a
                                  ground by either driving a ground rod or using a existing ground. That
                                  meets all codes here in the USA and in most other places.
                                • Darren M
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                                    OK Bill, there's a outlet we don't often see in a 50 amp application. (most common is the 10-50 and in newer builds 14-50)

                                    So depending on the wiring feeding yours we might be able to resolve this problem easily without causing any issues with codes and safety. Are all 3 wires feeding that 220 outlet insulated? If they are, then yes you can drive a ground rod into the ground per local/NEC requirements to satisfy grounding safety concerns. If however only two of the wires are insulated and one is bare (ground) then that rules out splitting off the 220 into a pair of 110 circuits. You cannot use a bare wire for Neutral. Let us know what you come up with.

                                    Darren M.

                                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cally <billcalley@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Darren,
                                    >
                                    >    It's a NEMA 6-50R receptacle.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > -Bill
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Jwc C
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                                      Get a used universal power transformer from an older industrial machine, you will be able to get any combination of input/output voltages, the only restriction will be your available input amperage at 220/240 VAC.

                                      I got mine from a 50+ years old powder packing machine.
                                      You may use the step-up/step-down transformers sold for power inverter use, such as Outback,  Xantrex , and many others. Check   Eebay...

                                      JWCC

                                      OK Bill, there's a outlet we don't often see in a 50 amp application. (most common is the 10-50 and in newer builds 14-50)

                                      So depending on the wiring feeding yours we might be able to resolve this problem easily without causing any issues with codes and safety. Are all 3 wires feeding that 220 outlet insulated? If they are, then yes you can drive a ground rod into the ground per local/NEC requirements to satisfy grounding safety concerns. If however only two of the wires are insulated and one is bare (ground) then that rules out splitting off the 220 into a pair of 110 circuits. You cannot use a bare wire for Neutral. Let us know what you come up with.

                                      Darren M.

                                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cally <billcalley@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Darren,
                                      >
                                      >    It's a NEMA 6-50R receptacle.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > -Bill
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    • dave_mucha
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 10, 2013
                                        How far is the run from the panel to the place in your shop you want to put your receptacle ?

                                        I ran two new lines so that my motors would be off my lighting circuit. pretty easy to do if you are comfortable around wiring.

                                        is your shop near your dryer ?

                                        I used to have a plug at the drywer, that is wired with neutral and ground. I used to plug in a small breaker panel that has my 20 amp breakers and then it had two receptacles.

                                        Since I had the parts at that time, it was easier.

                                        also, if you do run new lines, remember, do not use more than 80% of the rating for the wire or the breaker (whichever is lower)

                                        Dave

                                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "BillC" <billcalley@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi All,
                                        > I just purchased a Grizzly 120V G0619 6"x21" Mill/Drill (also called
                                        > a "S-X3" on Amazon), and I would like to know how to internally convert
                                        > or switch it to 220V. (I have read that this mill internally runs off of
                                        > 220V). Is this possible, or should I just purchase a 220V to 120V
                                        > step-down transformer?
                                        > Many thanks,
                                        > -Bill
                                        > http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0619.jpg
                                        > <http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0619.jpg>

                                      • Rick Grimm
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                          If you won't be needing the 20A plug for other uses, why not just rewire one hot leg to neutral at the panel and change out the receptacle, and you would be to code, the double pole breaker works fine with just one leg or you could disconect the trip handle joiner.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013