RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Weiss mill. WMV 16

  • Robert Furmanak
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
      I recently had to repair a stepper motor controller. The driver chips do
      not like to be grounded. They are surface mount, and to make things worse,
      the entire chip's bottom is soldered to the board to serve as a heat sink.
      I found it nearly impossible to selectively heat that part of the board and
      remove the chip, so I milled the chip off, leaving only the pins which I
      could then easily remove with a common small 15 watt soldering tool. I then
      put a small blob of solder on the heat sink pad under the chip and placed
      the new chip on top. Then I heated the bottom of the board until the new
      chip settled into place. Then I touched each pin with the soldering tool to
      be sure each was connected to the board.

      Robert

      Hi Malc,

      Unfortunately with things like electronics most people have little choice
      but to bite the bullet and shell out for a new one.

      Commercial repairers are few and far between and are usually expensive to
      the point that a new board is more affordable. Even if one had the equipment
      to diagnose a fault the latest boards are designed around the latest
      miniaturised components and they are usually surface mounted so taking an
      average soldering iron to them would be akin to brain surgery with a hammer
      and chisel_

      Thankfully the latest types seem to be very reliable and you will hopefully
      have no further touble

      Gerry W
      Leeds UK
      _______________________________

      GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com<mailto:GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com>
      > > From: malc395@...<mailto:malc395@...>
      > > Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 09:21:11 +0100
      > > Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Weiss mill. WMV 16
      > >

      > > Hello John,
      > > My dealings with Weiss were brilliant, my goods came with-in a week.
      > > The down side, UK residents please be aware, TNT International
      > > delivered my package, six
      > > weeks later I receive a bill from them, it turns out, they paid the VAT
      > > £7 & import duty £18
      > > on my behalf & are now wanting their money.
      > > So, my £36 ($55) bargain that was, isn't any more thanks to our
      government.
      > > Whine over!!
      > > Regards,
      > > Malc.