Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Need some help with Micro Mark 84630 mill problem?

  • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2013
      If you have the FET controller, it could be that the bridge rectifier that converts the AC to DC has a short circuit, or if you have a mains noise filer in the power lead, that could have a short circuit capacitor. Have you got a test meter you can do some simple continuity checks with. The unit would be unplugged of course!

      Malcolm

      Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
      The writing is on the wall.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013
        Surge arrestors can become shorted out, too. They're not capacitors, more like a solid-state spark gap. That happened to me once. Charred the power strip it was in.

        Malcom's suggestion of ohming things out is a good one. Also check for evidence of excess heat (burnt parts/board, bad smell).

        Mark

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

        > If you have the FET controller, it could be that the bridge rectifier that converts the AC to DC has a short circuit, or if you have a mains noise filer in the power lead, that could have a short circuit capacitor. Have you got a test meter you can do some simple continuity checks with. The unit would be unplugged of course!
        >
        > Malcolm
        >
        > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
        >
        > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
        >
        > The writing is on the wall.

      • mandes64
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2013
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "markkimball2000" <mark.kimball2@...> wrote:

          > Surge arrestors can become shorted out, too. They're not capacitors, more like a solid-state spark gap. That happened to me once. Charred the power strip it was in.
          >
          > Malcom's suggestion of ohming things out is a good one. Also check for evidence of excess heat (burnt parts/board, bad smell).
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@> wrote:
          > >
          > > If you have the FET controller, it could be that the bridge rectifier that converts the AC to DC has a short circuit, or if you have a mains noise filer in the power lead, that could have a short circuit capacitor. Have you got a test meter you can do some simple continuity checks with. The unit would be unplugged of course!
          > >
          > > Malcolm
          > >
          > > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
          > >
          > > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
          > >
          > > The writing is on the wall.

          Thanks all,
          Mark