Re: CNC on HF mini mill conversion ?

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
      Brad,

      Even though I have ball screws ready to go in (I have a bunch of steppers and wasn't sure they could drive acme, so spent my money on the ball screws).

      Anyway, I was curious how you prepped the mills? Doing any scraping etc? From what I've seen so far, looks like time well spent.

      Greg

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

      > Hi Brad:
      >
      > I have converted one minimill using the CNC Fusion kit at home, and my class is preparing to convert 5 more minimills to CNC where I teach. I have learned a few things. The brackets are dead simple. I think most amateur machinists could make them simply by examining all the pictures available online to see what they do, then taking measurements from the mating parts to get the dimensions right. I also believe that for the precision level that a minimill will allow or that is necessary in most home shops ball screws are not necessary. We are making the conversions at school with acme threaded rod and anti backlash nuts. This is a FAR less expensive alternative and works very well indeed. I am preparing to do the same thing with my G0704 milling machine at home.
      >
      > Barry Young

    • mrwhiz49
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20, 2013
        Hi,
        I just added some pictures of Paul's CNC and DRO. I have been selling conversion kits for mill/drills and now I am ready to sell CNC kits for the X2. It uses the existing leadscrews for X, Y and Z and requires no modifications to the machine (that's not true, you have to remove the spring arm bolt). All manual operation is retained. It uses Mach3 and a printer port but I'm working on a USB version. It is about a third the cost of others on the market.
        Paul Thompson