Re: X2 Z Axis Gibs and rack

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2013
      Hi Chuck,

      As Gerry points out, you can get the rack out without removing the head, but I would encourage you to remove the head and column to adjust the rack, for several reasons. First, you will be able to lay the column on its back near the edge of your workbench with the handwheel hanging off the side. This will allow you to crank the head back and forth to test how tight your set of shims is.

      With the head off, you would also have a good opportunity to check alignment of the spindle to the column. (I recommend the Rollie's Dad's Method).

      Just my two cents' worth ...

      Jim