Re: G8689 DRO Installation

  • nericarmi
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
      well it did happen to me too but I realized that it was install error of too much flex in the bracket(not the right height) and the mounting screws to the head unit were loosening so I have preposition and locktite the screws...since then it is on the money.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 13, 2013
        The issue became apparent as I was attempting to locate center in order to drill several spaced holes on a "miked"part that I had turned on the lathe.  My intent was to bolt the part on a piece of scrap in which I had drilled and tapped corresponding holes to  further machine the part.  Niether the X or Y DRO indicated the correct radius however, the Y was closer.  I placed a dial indicator against the table and after taking up the backlash, I set the dial indicator to zero, the X DRO to zero and the X handwheel dial to zero and then measured the movement of the table using all three. After determing that the DRO was off, I threaded bolts into the the holes in the scrap and measured them with a digital caliper which verified the findings I had obtained with the dial indicator. I intend to check the Y in the same way.  I think I have mounted the DRO's adequately, but I guess I'll go over it again. I'm considering using these on something where I don't need tight tolerances. Don't know what that might be yet, but I'm sure something will come along.
        From: Dave Markowitz <davemarkowitz@...>
        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, June 10, 2013, 9:46 PM

        The Y and Z-axis DROs are on the right side. In the pic of the Y-axis, the handwheel has been removed for access. The torsion spring on the left side of the mill's column would get in the way of the DRO scale, I think. Dave M. On 6/10/13 8:19 PM, nericarmi wrote: > just couple of qwestions > why would you install the Y dro on the left of the machine and not the right and the same with the Z it just get in the way of the jibs locks > would you be thinking of CNC it? > > --- In http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill%40yahoogroups.com, Dave Markowitz <davemarkowitz@...> wrote: >> This past weekend I completed installing DROs on my Grizzly G8689 mini >> mill. I used the plans from fignoggle.com. A writeup with pictures is here: >> >> <https://sites.google.com/site/davemarkowitzsmachineshop/projects/grizzly-g8689-mill-dro> >> >> -- >> Dave Markowitz, KB3MNK >> davemarkowitz@... >> >>
        ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/ <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/join     (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email:     http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill-digest%40yahoogroups.com     http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • davetuhy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
          Thanks for the suggestions, John. It turned out that a screw holding the X beam had loosened and allowed a significant amount of movement.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Dave Tuhy <davetuhy@...> wrote:

          > The issue became apparent as I was attempting to locate center in order to drill several spaced holes on a "miked"part that I had turned on the lathe.  My intent was to bolt the part on a piece of scrap in which I had drilled and tapped corresponding holes to  further machine the part.  Niether the X or Y DRO indicated the correct radius however, the Y was closer.  I placed a dial indicator against the table and after taking up the backlash, I set the dial indicator to zero, the X DRO to zero and the X handwheel dial to zero and then measured the movement of the table using all three. After determing that the DRO was off, I threaded bolts into the the holes in the scrap and measured them with a digital caliper which verified the findings I had obtained with the dial indicator. I intend to check the Y in the same way.  I think I have mounted the DRO's adequately, but I guess I'll go over it again. I'm considering using these on something
          > where I don't need tight tolerances. Don't know what that might be yet, but I'm sure something will come along.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Neri Carmi
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
            my point excactly...I got to say it "I told you"

            On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:16 AM, davetuhy <davetuhy@...> wrote:

            Thanks for the suggestions, John. It turned out that a screw holding the X beam had loosened and allowed a significant amount of movement.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Dave Tuhy <davetuhy@...> wrote:

            > The issue became apparent as I was attempting to locate center in order to drill several spaced holes on a "miked"part that I had turned on the lathe.  My intent was to bolt the part on a piece of scrap in which I had drilled and tapped corresponding holes to  further machine the part.  Niether the X or Y DRO indicated the correct radius however, the Y was closer.  I placed a dial indicator against the table and after taking up the backlash, I set the dial indicator to zero, the X DRO to zero and the X handwheel dial to zero and then measured the movement of the table using all three. After determing that the DRO was off, I threaded bolts into the the holes in the scrap and measured them with a digital caliper which verified the findings I had obtained with the dial indicator. I intend to check the Y in the same way.  I think I have mounted the DRO's adequately, but I guess I'll go over it again. I'm considering using these on something
            > where I don't need tight tolerances. Don't know what that might be yet, but I'm sure something will come along.

          • Dave Tuhy
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 21, 2013
              I've got it coming..lol

              To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com