Re: G8689 DRO Installation

  • nericarmi
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
      well it did happen to me too but I realized that it was install error of too much flex in the bracket(not the right height) and the mounting screws to the head unit were loosening so I have preposition and locktite the screws...since then it is on the money.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
        That is excessive inaccuracy.
        Ensure the reader bar is rigid and parallel to the table.
        Check and or replace  the 2 x  2032 batteries.
        What are you using as a comparison? are you reading the hand dials ?,do you have the backlash
        going the right way when reading the dials? the dials now become superfluous.

        Best way to check accuracy is to drill and jig bore 5 holes 1" apart in a plate,put in dowels and measure.
        If all else fails,send back for replacements,I have Igaging and they work well.
        John
        Spain

        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        From: nericarmi@...
        Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:24:23 -0700

        On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM, a rien <amriensr@...> wrote:

        You're correct about the torsion spring being in the way. I had swapped over to the air spring before I did my DRO install.

        The Y and Z-axis DROs are on the right side. In the pic of the Y-axis,
        the handwheel has been removed for access.

        The torsion spring on the left side of the mill's column would get in
        the way of the DRO scale, I think.

        Dave M.

        On 6/10/13 8:19 PM, nericarmi wrote:
        > just couple of qwestions
        > why would you install the Y dro on the left of the machine and not the right and the same with the Z it just get in the way of the jibs locks
        > would you be thinking of CNC it?
        >
        > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Dave Markowitz <davemarkowitz@...> wrote:
        >> This past weekend I completed installing DROs on my Grizzly G8689 mini
        >> mill. I used the plans from fignoggle.com. A writeup with pictures is here:
        >>
        >> <https://sites.google.com/site/davemarkowitzsmachineshop/projects/grizzly-g8689-mill-dro>
        >>
        >> --
        >> Dave Markowitz, KB3MNK
        >> davemarkowitz@...

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
            GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Dave Tuhy

          To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com From: nericarmi@... Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:24:23 -0700 Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: G8689 DRO Installation
          On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM, a rien <amriensr@...> wrote:

          You're correct about the torsion spring being in the way. I had swapped over to the air spring before I did my DRO install.

          The Y and Z-axis DROs are on the right side. In the pic of the Y-axis, the handwheel has been removed for access. The torsion spring on the left side of the mill's column would get in the way of the DRO scale, I think. Dave M. On 6/10/13 8:19 PM, nericarmi wrote: > just couple of qwestions > why would you install the Y dro on the left of the machine and not the right and the same with the Z it just get in the way of the jibs locks > would you be thinking of CNC it? > > --- In http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill%40yahoogroups.com, Dave Markowitz <davemarkowitz@...> wrote: >> This past weekend I completed installing DROs on my Grizzly G8689 mini >> mill. I used the plans from fignoggle.com. A writeup with pictures is here: >> >> <https://sites.google.com/site/davemarkowitzsmachineshop/projects/grizzly-g8689-mill-dro> >> >> -- >> Dave Markowitz, KB3MNK >> davemarkowitz@... >> >>
          ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/ <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/join     (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email:     http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill-digest%40yahoogroups.com     http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     http://mc/compose?to=GrizHFMinimill-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • davetuhy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
            Thanks for the suggestions, John. It turned out that a screw holding the X beam had loosened and allowed a significant amount of movement.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Dave Tuhy <davetuhy@...> wrote:

            > The issue became apparent as I was attempting to locate center in order to drill several spaced holes on a "miked"part that I had turned on the lathe.  My intent was to bolt the part on a piece of scrap in which I had drilled and tapped corresponding holes to  further machine the part.  Niether the X or Y DRO indicated the correct radius however, the Y was closer.  I placed a dial indicator against the table and after taking up the backlash, I set the dial indicator to zero, the X DRO to zero and the X handwheel dial to zero and then measured the movement of the table using all three. After determing that the DRO was off, I threaded bolts into the the holes in the scrap and measured them with a digital caliper which verified the findings I had obtained with the dial indicator. I intend to check the Y in the same way.  I think I have mounted the DRO's adequately, but I guess I'll go over it again. I'm considering using these on something
            > where I don't need tight tolerances. Don't know what that might be yet, but I'm sure something will come along.

          • Neri Carmi
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
              my point excactly...I got to say it "I told you"

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 21, 2013
                I've got it coming..lol

                To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                From: nericarmi@...