Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Cleaning and renewing lathe lead screws!

  • Bill Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2013
      Steve Wan wrote:
      > Hi Bill
      >
      > Thanks for sharing your thread restoration techniques.
      >
      > But could you elaborate how solder can stick evenly along the threads?
      > Using a blow torch and plenty of flux like brazing? Are you using the
      > solder to remold worn out teeths and reshape it with a female nut? Can
      > this method apply to bevel joints for cast iron? My small movable vise
      > jaw is wearing at the vee groove.
      >
      > Wonder is there a demo in Youtube...
      > New to me ;)
      >
      > Steve Wan

      Steve, let me first stress that this procedure is intended for worn
      solid brass lead nuts. Also it does not compensate for worn out lead
      screw threads. It is in fact applying a layer of white metal (solder) to
      replace the brass worn away with use. The candle sot is a method of
      preventing the solder from sticking to the unworn portion of the screw
      used as a mould. With a clean and fluxed nut the solder is drawn into
      the gap, filling it quite well. In fact it can take some work with oil
      to get the nut freed up. But I have never had one stick and the results
      are very low play. If you could get the cast iron to take the solder you
      might be able to repair your vise. YMMV! As for U-tube; better ask
      someone else! Bill in Boulder