Re: [GrizHFMinimill]

  • Goran Hosinsky
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2013
      www.machine-dro.co.uk    item me-fm-pd-40a

      goran, canary islands
      On 2013-05-19 19:43, Benjamin Bucceri wrote:

      Hi everybody:

      Does anyone know if some company makes a digital electronic caliper with a ratchet stop, similar to micrometers with ratchet stops? I seem to have difficulty in applying the correct pressure consistently when I close the calipers, leading to variations in measurements.

      Thanks!

      Ben in Sacramento

      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2013
        Hi Ben:

        Don't use the roller, squeeze the jaws on either side of the part you are measuring. Works like a charm.

        Barry

        Message 3 of 5 , May 19, 2013
          Use just barely enough pressure on the wheel to move the jaws.  That's why all the calipers have slop in the wheel, so that when the jaws are fully closed on the part you're measuring, the wheel will slip, similar to the way a mic will ratchet.

          The ratchet on mics is just a band aid for poor form.

          Eric

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 19, 2013, at 11:43 AM, "Benjamin Bucceri" <benbo43@...> wrote:

          Hi everybody:

          Does anyone know if some company makes a digital electronic caliper with a ratchet stop, similar to micrometers with ratchet stops? I seem to have difficulty in applying the correct pressure consistently when I close the calipers, leading to variations in measurements.

          Thanks!

          Ben in Sacramento

        • Robert Furmanak
          Message 4 of 5 , May 19, 2013

            Ben,

            I have never seen such a caliper.  I believe that with practice, you will develop a more consistent measurement technique.  It may not be the pressure you are applying, but whether the piece you are measuring is flat and square against the jaws, and is clean.  A single metal shaving can introduce an error over .001 inch.  If you are using the common “cheap Chinese caliper”, like ones from Harbor Freight, they will be sensitive to pressure you are applying. That is because the head is held against one side of the scale beam by a spring. Push hard enough, and you will actually tilt the head slightly. You want to press hard enough to contact the piece you are measuring, but no more.

            Regards,

            Robert