Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Harbor freight mini mill modifications.

  • Howard Harrison
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 28, 2013
    The motor has 2 pulleys & the spindle has 2 pulleys. The belt should be either on the top set: large motor pulley & the small spindle pulley *** OR ** The bottom set small motor pulley & large spindle pulley. There should be no angle on the belt.

    Pictures might help:

    My machine is on low speed
  • Howard Harrison
    Message 2 of 30 , Apr 28, 2013
      I see Yahoo didn't handle the attachments as a formatted HTML message :-(

      IMG_0083.jpeg - Low Speed

      IMG_0084.jpeg - High Speed

      IMG_0085.jpeg - View from right side, not that a fully tightened belt, the screw is about halfway in the slot.

      Cheers!
      -Howard

      On Apr 27, 2013, at 11:26 PM, coffelt2 wrote:

      > Thanks, Howard. When I go through the same procedures you use, when
      > swinging the motor forward, it only travels less than 1/16" at the
      > center of the motor shaft. The middle or center flange on both pulleys
      > contact each other. The motor pulley is on correctly. The only way it
      > will work to give two speed ratios. If I adjust the motor pulley up or
      > down a little, their flanges do not hit, but the belt is then quite a
      > bit out of line. (it still works in either high or low ratio, but looks
      > awful and can't be too good for the belt)
      >
      > Lynn
      >
      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Howard Harrison wrote:
      >>
      >> I've been using the belt drive kit and never had a problem switching
      > -- I use both Hi & Lo. I just loosen the hold-down screw on the right,
      > twist the motor forward, push the motor back & tighten the screw. I'd be
      > surprised if they changed the size of the pulleys. Is the motor pulley
      > installed backwards?
      >>
      >> Good Luck.
      >> -Howard
      >>
      >> On Apr 27, 2013, at 5:56 PM, coffelt2 wrote:
      >>

      >>> LMS has started shipping the belt conversion kit in the last few
      > days. I
      >>> put mine on yesterday, (on a Grizly) and there were no real
      > problems.
      >>> Seems to work just fine EXCEPT the pulley clearance with the 13"
      > belt
      >>> provided is quite minimal. In fact to change from the high to low
      > pulley
      >>> groves, I have to dismount the motor temporarily. I'm going to ask
      > LMS
      >>> about this situation. It looks like with the new manufactured
      > pulleys,
      >>> the 13" (o130) belt is just not long enough. I wonder if the pulleys
      >>> produced by the previous supplier were slightly smaller in diameter?
      > Did
      >>> older kits have this clearance situation??

      > fitted
      >>> a 14" belt, to give more pulley clearance, when the belt is
      > slackened.

      > pollacciapaul@

      >>> replace the gear drive with the belt drive conversion, and also the
      > air
      >>> spring kits sold by Little Machine Shop. I read somewhere that when
      > you
      >>> have the belt drive installed, there is not enough clearance to
      > mount
      >>> the air spring bracket. Please advise me on this. Thank you in
      > advance.

    • coffelt2
      Message 3 of 30 , Apr 28, 2013

        Thanks for photos, Howard.

             Yours looks exactly like mine with belt tightened and motor clamped down (0084) I am trying to send a photo attachment to show my pulley flange interference with the motor clamp screw loosened, and the motor pulled forward until the pulley flanges stop further movement. You can see by the adjustment slot that the motor didn't move very far.
             Ok, I am not smart enough to attach a picture to message, but I think I have it in the photos section under "Lynn's Mill"