Grizzly G0709 lathe has appeared in my shop

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 5, 2013
      It took a couple of weeks after I got it off the trailer, but there is a new Grizzly G0709 gunsmith lathe in my workshop. I am off to level it right now.

      Have a great day.

      Barry
    • Dale E
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5, 2013
        Hi,

        Nice! Please share your impressions of it as you get to know each other.

        Dale

        On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Barry <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

        It took a couple of weeks after I got it off the trailer, but there is a new Grizzly G0709 gunsmith lathe in my workshop. I am off to level it right now.

        Have a great day.

        Barry

      • Tom P
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2013
          This is a great opportunity for me to ask something I've wondered for a
          while:

          Barry, what is the difference between a gunsmithing lathe and any other
          lathe?

          Thanks,

          TomP

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2013
            Thanks Dale, I sure will. It is now level within .001 in 10 inches in all directions, that should help it do nice work.

            The pain job is pretty awful, but the things that matter seem to be nice. Very nice finish on the ways.

            Barry

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2013
              Hi Tom:

              Grizzly uses that nonsense merely as a marketing ploy IMHO. Any lathe used by a gunsmith is a gunsmithing lathe. They call every lathe they have that has an outboard spider a gunsmithing lathe. An outboard spider is a set of four holes tapped at 90 degree intervals around the spindle on the outboard (opposite the chuck) end of the spindle. There are four bolts with brass tips which can be threaded into these holes to support a rod or tube inserted through the spindle. Because this is an old gunsmithing trick to support a rifle barrel for chambering, and since the president of Grizzly is a pretty accomplished F class precision shooter, it was a natural to call lathes with this spider gunsmith lathes.

              That is my understanding of it, if anybody has a better explanation, I would love to hear it. I think it is a bunch of hokum personally. Even though I plan on doing a bunch of gunsmithing on this lathe, I did not buy it because it is a "gunsmith" lathe. I bought it because it had the features I wanted at a price I thought was good and I have always been happy with Grizzly customer service.

              Hope that helps.

              Barry

              On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Barry wrote:

              > It took a couple of weeks after I got it off the trailer, but there is a new Grizzly G0709 gunsmith lathe in my workshop. I am off to level it right now.
              >
              > Have a great day.
              >
              > Barry

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Jerry [HM]
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2013
                question:

                how did you go about leveing it?

                did you shim/adjust the table? or the lathe/feet themselves based on whatever 'top/work area' its was on..?

                thanks--
                Jerry

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2013
                  Hi Jerry:

                  When I bought the lathe I also bought 6 machine mounts which are feet on a threaded shaft. The floor in my workshop slopes about 8 inches in 24 feet. Apparently it was intended to store vehicles or something crazy like that and they wanted the snow to go out the door after it melted off the cars. The mounts made it considerably easier to level the machine since turning a nut to raise or lower one corner is much easier than using shim which is what I usually do.

                  I used a precision Machinist level from Shars.com. It is graduated in lines representing .0005 per 10 inches. Using only the outer four mounts I leveled along the bed (longitudinally) until the bubble was about 4 lines out. Then at the foot I leveled across the bed (laterally) to about three marks on the vial, Then repeated leveling laterally at the headstock. I repeated this pattern until I was within 2 marks at any measured location on the bed. Finally, I raised the foot of the bed one mark then used the inner headstock mounts to bring the machine once again to within 2 marks all over. This leveling process took about an hour and a half for two people. When I started, I checked with a very good quality Stabila brand 6 foot level and could detect no error. Many people only use a level intended for construction to level their machines. I suggest that if it took an hour and a half AFTER the machine was leveled with such a level to get it right using a Precision level, and it did, that a carpenters level is not good enough for machine installation even if you have to borrow a precision level.

                  This procedure will help to keep the lathe bed from settling with a twist. Since I intend to chamber benchrest rifle barrels on this lathe, I wanted it as perfect as I could make it. I will check and re-level the machine twice a year from now on.

                  Hope this answered your question.

                  Barry Young

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Barry Young wrote:

                    > Hi Tom:
                    >
                    > Grizzly uses that nonsense merely as a marketing ploy IMHO. Any lathe
                    > used by a gunsmith is a gunsmithing lathe. They call every lathe they
                    > have that has an outboard spider a gunsmithing lathe. An outboard spider
                    > is a set of four holes tapped at 90 degree intervals around the spindle
                    > on the outboard (opposite the chuck) end of the spindle. There are four
                    > bolts with brass tips which can be threaded into these holes to support
                    > a rod or tube inserted through the spindle. Because this is an old
                    > gunsmithing trick to support a rifle barrel for chambering, and since
                    > the president of Grizzly is a pretty accomplished F class precision
                    > shooter, it was a natural to call lathes with this spider gunsmith lathes.
                    >
                    > That is my understanding of it, if anybody has a better explanation, I
                    > would love to hear it. I think it is a bunch of hokum personally. Even
                    > though I plan on doing a bunch of gunsmithing on this lathe, I did not
                    > buy it because it is a "gunsmith" lathe. I bought it because it had the
                    > features I wanted at a price I thought was good and I have always been
                    > happy with Grizzly customer service.
                    >
                    > Hope that helps.
                    >
                    > Barry

                    Barry, the test of the adaptability of a lathe for doing gunsmithing
                    work is it's ability to accept a barrel through the spindle! as you
                    pointed out to work on a chamber effectively requires that the chamber
                    end of the barrel be held in a chuck with the barrel extending out to
                    the right through the headstock! That's where that outboard steady comes
                    into play. All of this requires a MT#5 in the spindle so that and the
                    bore through the spindle define the lathe! All of this in turn requiring
                    big bearings, gears, castings, and on and on heading towards 1500 pounds
                    and $400! But in the event a lathe with great capabilities! One
                    warning/note of caution. These lathes often have a gap in the bed with a
                    filler block installed. Several friends have removed the block and found
                    that it was installed with grit, paint, and who knows what in the mating
                    surfaces. Either leave good enough alone, take it out and leave it out,
                    or plan on the possibility of having a major job getting it back in
                    straight! All of this is from years past so the problem may have been
                    corrected! Bill in Boulder
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 6, 2013
                      OK. I think. Hard to make out what your point was.

                      Thanks Bill.

                      Barry

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 7, 2013
                        Barry Young wrote:

                        > OK. I think. Hard to make out what your point was.
                        >
                        > Thanks Bill.
                        >
                        > Barry

                        Barry, the test of a lathe's adaptability for doing gunsmithing
                        work is the ability to accept a barrel through the spindle! Bill
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 7, 2013
                          Hi Bill:

                          OK, but lots of lathes that won't allow a barrel to go through the spindle have been used to chamber barrels held in the steady rest. I think putting a barrel through the spindle is less of an issue than people think. I doubt very much that Harry Pope had a large bore lathe.

                          Barry

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
                            Barry Young wrote:

                            > Hi Bill:
                            >
                            > OK, but lots of lathes that won't allow a barrel to go through the
                            > spindle have been used to chamber barrels held in the steady rest. I
                            > think putting a barrel through the spindle is less of an issue than
                            > people think. I doubt very much that Harry Pope had a large bore lathe.
                            >
                            > Barry

                            True enough Barry! But having played that game myself I never ceased
                            wishing that I had a bigger through hole on the lathe spindle!
                            As for Pope I do not recall seeing a picture of his shop or reading a
                            description. But having seen the availability of 100 year old lathes
                            with big through holes I suspect that he could have found one. I have
                            seen old lathes with CI spindles running in CI bearings (Big Oil Cups)
                            with 3 1/2" holes on 16" swings! 37 mm anyone? I think that I want to
                            follow your new lists for a while so if you would repoint me there I
                            would appreciate it! Bill in Boulder
                          • Amado Jimenez Jr.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
                              I've done, action blueprints, tread, chamber and headspace on my 9 x 20....no problems whatsoever.

                              Cheers

                              AJ

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
                                Hi Bill, sure. G0704 and G0709 are the names of those lists.

                                Thanks for your comments.

                                Barry

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
                                  Yep. I understand AJ, one need not put the barrel through the headstock.

                                  Barry

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 9, 2013
                                    Barry Young wrote:

                                    > Hi Bill, sure. G0704 and G0709 are the names of those lists.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your comments.
                                    >
                                    > Barry

                                    A puzzle Barry. I found the G0704 group without much problem but a
                                    search failed to reveal a G0709 site! Any thoughts? Bill in Boulder
                                  • SirJohnOfYork
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 9, 2013
                                      On 3/9/2013 7:34 PM, Bill Williams wrote:

                                      A puzzle Barry. I found the G0704 group without much problem but a
                                      search failed to reveal a G0709 site! Any thoughts? Bill in Boulder

                                       The groups Barry created are still too new to be found via Search on the Groups page. So in a previous post, I constructed the links according to how all the yahoo groups are named. The group links you are looking for are:

                                      and
                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G0709/

                                       Ditto for the 7x12 mini-lathe group:

                                       Just the group names on the end of the links change, otherwise they are all identical.

                                       Be sure the G0704 group you found wasn't the G0704Mill group, which lists 80 members and was created about a year ago. I don't know anything about it other than it is not the group Barry just set up.

                                       What I learned from this little exercise is, if a group or groups are too new for Yahoo to have gotten around to making them findable via the "Search" function on Yahoo's main Groups page:
                                      then you can manually build the link following the standard link format as per above, as long as you know the correct spelling of the name of the group you want to find.

                                       Cheers,
                                       John Z.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 10, 2013
                                        Please see Johns fine comment on how to get there. I am sorta working this problem.

                                        Thanks Bill

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 10, 2013
                                          SirJohnOfYork wrote:

                                          Thanks for the information John! Bill