Bad links in files section

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2013
      I received this note in my personal email.
      *************************
      Hello,

      I have noticed many entries in the Files section that are dead -- clicking on them brings up a "document not found" message on my browser. It looks like it mostly affects files that are older than about 2010.

      Are there any plans to clean up the Files section, or resurrect them? In some cases it probably doesn't make sense, like the old pricing list for Igaging items but a lot of the info looks like it still could be useful.

      Thanks,

      Mark
      *************************

      Please let me know if you experience a bad link and tell me where I can find it in the files section, I do not have time to check every link. Please do not be this vague, be very specific about which file and where it is and I will fix it.

      Thank you

      Barry Young
      Group Owner
    • markkimball2000
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
        Actually, there are so many I thought it was likely well known & was some Yahoo issue that's not easily fixed. Here's a partial list of files that don't work for me -- If it's my browser (Puppy Linux/Seamonkey) I'd like to know before spending a lot of time on this:

        milling tool fly cutter.pdf
        2photooftooling.jpg
        3739.pdf
        3D-mill-cad-2000.dwg
        3-ThreadingSinglePoint60andAcme.xls
        7x12controller.pdf
        cutting fluids.pdf
        level gage test post
        light up your mill
        milling turns calculator.xls

        Also, the folders "FYI" and "KamEngine" are empty.

        and more...

        -Mark

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
          Thank you Mark, I will look at thise tonight when I get home from work.

          Keep them coming.

          Thank you.

          Barry

          Actually, there are so many I thought it was likely well known & was some Yahoo issue that's not easily fixed.  Here's a partial list of files that don't work for me -- If it's my browser (Puppy Linux/Seamonkey) I'd like to know before spending a lot of time on this:

          milling tool fly cutter.pdf
          2photooftooling.jpg
          3739.pdf
          3D-mill-cad-2000.dwg
          3-ThreadingSinglePoint60andAcme.xls
          7x12controller.pdf
          cutting fluids.pdf
          level gage test post
          light up your mill
          milling turns calculator.xls

          Also, the folders "FYI" and "KamEngine" are empty.

          and more...

          -Mark

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

          > I received this note in my personal email.
          > *************************
          > Hello,
          >
          > I have noticed many entries in the Files section that are dead -- clicking on them brings up a "document not found" message on my browser.  It looks like it mostly affects files that are older than about 2010.
          >
          > Are there any plans to clean up the Files section, or resurrect them?  In some cases it probably doesn't make sense, like the old pricing list for Igaging items but a lot of the info looks like it still could be useful.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mark
          > *************************
          >
          > Please let me know if you experience a bad link and tell me where I can find it in the files section, I do not have time to check every link. Please do not be this vague, be very specific about which file and where it is and I will fix it.
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Barry Young
          > Group Owner

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
              GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Doug Bade
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
            I just accessed several of them and they seem fine on Win7 Firefox....

            Doug

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Mark, I will look at thise tonight when I get home from work.
            >
            > Keep them coming.
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Barry
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Randy Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
              Mark; You can download the file, but can't open it? Is this correct?

              I was able to open /view these files.

              The problem is a conflict between YAHOO and your web browser. They have
              conflicting mime-types. Mime-type determines how a file is transferred
              using a web browser and the HTTP protocol. Some browsers will ignore
              the mime-type and depend on the file extension, others will use the
              mime-type.

              You may be able to fix the problem, save the file to your local machine
              and then open it. Try a different browser.

              Later.... Randy S
              Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

              On 3/4/2013 11:13 AM, markkimball2000 wrote:
              > Actually, there are so many I thought it was likely well known & was
              > some Yahoo issue that's not easily fixed. Here's a partial list of
              > files that don't work for me -- If it's my browser (Puppy
              > Linux/Seamonkey) I'd like to know before spending a lot of time on
              > this:
            • A Nagy
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013

                I do think it is your browser Mark – I use Google Chrome and had no problems downloading the files and I had no problem opening several of the files you mention.

                Chrome will not open pdf files without downloading them first. I understand that Internet Explorer will seamlessly download to a temporary file and then open.

                I am not familiar with Linux. You do need Adobe Reader or perhaps some Linux compatible pdf reader to be able to open the files.

              • john baird
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
                  I use XP and SeaMonkey and it works for me, though he is right, there are some empty folders.
                  Can the moderator edit them out ??
                  Regards jb

                  > file, but can't open it?  Is this correct?
                  >
                  > I was able to open /view these files.
                  >
                  > The problem is a conflict between YAHOO and your web
                  > browser.  They have
                  > conflicting mime-types.  Mime-type determines how a
                  > file is transferred
                  > using a web browser and the HTTP protocol.  Some
                  > browsers will ignore
                  > the mime-type and depend on the file extension, others will
                  > use the
                  > mime-type.
                  >
                  > You may be able to fix the problem, save the file to your
                  > local machine
                  > and then open it.  Try a different browser.
                  >

                  > Later....       Randy S
                  > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of
                  > beauty.
                  >

                  > On 3/4/2013 11:13 AM, markkimball2000 wrote:
                  > > Actually, there are so many I thought it was likely
                  > well known & was
                  > > some Yahoo issue that's not easily fixed.  Here's
                  > a partial list of
                  > > files that don't work for me -- If it's my browser
                  > (Puppy
                  > > Linux/Seamonkey) I'd like to know before spending a lot
                  > of time on
                  > > this:

                  >     GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                • none_available_ever
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
                    Mark,

                    I checked the files you listed and found that 3739.pdf would not display for me. Just showed up empty. Everything else opened fine.

                    I used to use Slackware which I think Puppy is based on. Got sick of chasing niggling little oversights. I now use Ubuntu, even if I hate the Unity interface.

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "markkimball2000" <mark.kimball2@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, there are so many I thought it was likely well known & was some Yahoo issue that's not easily fixed. Here's a partial list of files that don't work for me -- If it's my browser (Puppy Linux/Seamonkey) I'd like to know before spending a lot of time on this:
                    >
                    > milling tool fly cutter.pdf
                    > 2photooftooling.jpg
                    > 3739.pdf
                    > 3D-mill-cad-2000.dwg
                    > 3-ThreadingSinglePoint60andAcme.xls
                    > 7x12controller.pdf
                    > cutting fluids.pdf
                    > level gage test post
                    > light up your mill
                    > milling turns calculator.xls
                    >

                    > Also, the folders "FYI" and "KamEngine" are empty.
                    >
                    > and more...
                    >
                    > -Mark
                    >

                    > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <barryjyoung@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I received this note in my personal email.
                    > > *************************
                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > I have noticed many entries in the Files section that are dead -- clicking on them brings up a "document not found" message on my browser. It looks like it mostly affects files that are older than about 2010.
                    > >
                    > > Are there any plans to clean up the Files section, or resurrect them? In some cases it probably doesn't make sense, like the old pricing list for Igaging items but a lot of the info looks like it still could be useful.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Mark
                    > > *************************
                    > >
                    > > Please let me know if you experience a bad link and tell me where I can find it in the files section, I do not have time to check every link. Please do not be this vague, be very specific about which file and where it is and I will fix it.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you
                    > >
                    > > Barry Young
                    > > Group Owner

                  • none_available_ever
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
                      Whoops! I cleared my browser cache and now I have the same issues you do.

                      Larry
                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "markkimball2000" <mark.kimball2@...> wrote:

                      > Actually, there are so many I thought it was likely well known & was some Yahoo issue that's not easily fixed. Here's a partial list of files that don't work for me -- If it's my browser (Puppy Linux/Seamonkey) I'd like to know before spending a lot of time on this:
                      >
                      > milling tool fly cutter.pdf
                      > 2photooftooling.jpg
                      > 3739.pdf
                      > 3D-mill-cad-2000.dwg
                      > 3-ThreadingSinglePoint60andAcme.xls
                      > 7x12controller.pdf
                      > cutting fluids.pdf
                      > level gage test post
                      > light up your mill
                      > milling turns calculator.xls
                      >

                      > Also, the folders "FYI" and "KamEngine" are empty.
                      >
                      > and more...
                      >
                      > -Mark
                      >

                      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <barryjyoung@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I received this note in my personal email.
                      > > *************************
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > I have noticed many entries in the Files section that are dead -- clicking on them brings up a "document not found" message on my browser. It looks like it mostly affects files that are older than about 2010.
                      > >
                      > > Are there any plans to clean up the Files section, or resurrect them? In some cases it probably doesn't make sense, like the old pricing list for Igaging items but a lot of the info looks like it still could be useful.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Mark
                      > > *************************
                      > >
                      > > Please let me know if you experience a bad link and tell me where I can find it in the files section, I do not have time to check every link. Please do not be this vague, be very specific about which file and where it is and I will fix it.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you
                      > >
                      > > Barry Young
                      > > Group Owner

                    • Bill Rubenstein

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
                          I sense the hooked cane approaching from stage left so will be quick.

                          It was indeed my browser. I dunno why it affects just some files from this & only this site but that's free software for you.

                          I think my concern was legitimate since the purpose of the forum is to impart knowledge, and the files are part of that. From here the problem is mine.

                          End of discussion.

                          -Mark