Bolting down a minimill -- issues/methods?

  • markkimball2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1 6:22 AM
      I'm sure this question has come up before, so I'd be grateful to be directed to the appropriate thread. There have been a number of discussions on the 7x lathe group on how/if to bolt the lathe to a workbench. Most say that it's all too easy to twist the bed while doing this, suggest just using the feet w/no bolt-down.

      Searching for similar info for a mini mill hasn't brought much insight -- there are discussions regarding the Y axis handwheel clearance above the workbench ( I addressed this by placing the mill near the front edge of the bench), but not much else.

      Is the mini mill susceptible to twist/warp/etc that could be introduced by an uneven table top, or by mounting bolts that are unequally torqued into a wood tabletop? At my present skill level it may not be an issue; but hopefully my abilities (and expectations) will improve over time. I don't want something like this to be a limiting factor.

      TIA,

      Mark
    • davidjones686@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1 6:36 AM
        Hi Mark.
        I bolted mine, (through bolts), to a piece of kitchen worktop.
        Then wood screwed the worktop to my bench. Sufficient to stop it walking about, as I used the spanners on the machine........

        David. Derbyshire. UK.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "markkimball2000" wrote:

        > I'm sure this question has come up before, so I'd be grateful to be directed to the appropriate thread. There have been a number of discussions on the 7x lathe group on how/if to bolt the lathe to a workbench. Most say that it's all too easy to twist the bed while doing this, suggest just using the feet w/no bolt-down.
        >
        > Searching for similar info for a mini mill hasn't brought much insight -- there are discussions regarding the Y axis handwheel clearance above the workbench ( I addressed this by placing the mill near the front edge of the bench), but not much else.
        >
        > Is the mini mill susceptible to twist/warp/etc that could be introduced by an uneven table top, or by mounting bolts that are unequally torqued into a wood tabletop? At my present skill level it may not be an issue; but hopefully my abilities (and expectations) will improve over time. I don't want something like this to be a limiting factor.
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Mark

      • gerry waclawiak
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1 6:50 AM
          I David,

          I did mine several years ago using the same method, it needed an additional square of worktop as a packer to lift the Y axis handle clear for operation.
          Use of locknuts or lock washers is also a good idea as the nuts can slacken with the vibration otherwise

          Gerry W
          Leeds UK

          To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
          From: stilldrillin@...
          Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:36:40 +0000
          Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Bolting down a minimill -- issues/methods?

          Hi Mark.
          I bolted mine, (through bolts), to a piece of kitchen worktop.
          Then wood screwed the worktop to my bench. Sufficient to stop it walking about, as I used the spanners on the machine........

          David. Derbyshire. UK.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "markkimball2000" wrote:

          > I'm sure this question has come up before, so I'd be grateful to be directed to the appropriate thread. There have been a number of discussions on the 7x lathe group on how/if to bolt the lathe to a workbench. Most say that it's all too easy to twist the bed while doing this, suggest just using the feet w/no bolt-down.
          >
          > Searching for similar info for a mini mill hasn't brought much insight -- there are discussions regarding the Y axis handwheel clearance above the workbench ( I addressed this by placing the mill near the front edge of the bench), but not much else.
          >
          > Is the mini mill susceptible to twist/warp/etc that could be introduced by an uneven table top, or by mounting bolts that are unequally torqued into a wood tabletop? At my present skill level it may not be an issue; but hopefully my abilities (and expectations) will improve over time. I don't want something like this to be a limiting factor.
          >
          > TIA,
          >
          > Mark

        • John Lindo
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1 10:14 AM
            It's best if you have the X Y  hand wheels level with your elbows.
            I cut up 4 pieces of laminated board 20 mm thick and stuck them together to give me the correct elbow height.
            Of course this all depends on your bench height.The boards projected 30 mm on each side of the cast mill base.
            Drilled through for the 4 mounting bolts, transfer punched the position for the bench,drilled the work top and used long 12 mm coach bolts and "lock nuts"
            from the top.IE The nut and washer contacted the machine bed.It's easier to use coach bolts as you only have to use one spanner (wrench) to tighten up.
            Amazing how much sound absorption these boards take up.
            Normally store bought benches are approx 80-90 cm tall,what that is in feet and inches,leave that to the guys on the other side of the pond.
            Regards
            John L
            Spain.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1 10:23 AM
              I was an apprentice toolmaker.at Coventry Gauge and Tool in late 60's.
              the owner Sir Stanley Harley was always on walk about's.
              If he saw a spanner on the machine tables,he would come up to you and confiscate the spanner or whatever and give you
              his impression of a mad man and no such thing as being politically correct in those days.
              It's so dangerous to have hand tools on machines.
              He also insisted that our work cover alls  (cowgowns) had no pockets.
              Regards
              John L
              Spain

              I bolted mine, (through bolts), to a piece of kitchen worktop.
              Then wood screwed the worktop to my bench. Sufficient to stop it walking about, as I used the spanners on the machine........

              David. Derbyshire. UK.

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "markkimball2000" wrote:

              > I'm sure this question has come up before, so I'd be grateful to be directed to the appropriate thread. There have been a number of discussions on the 7x lathe group on how/if to bolt the lathe to a workbench. Most say that it's all too easy to twist the bed while doing this, suggest just using the feet w/no bolt-down.
              >
              > Searching for similar info for a mini mill hasn't brought much insight -- there are discussions regarding the Y axis handwheel clearance above the workbench ( I addressed this by placing the mill near the front edge of the bench), but not much else.
              >
              > Is the mini mill susceptible to twist/warp/etc that could be introduced by an uneven table top, or by mounting bolts that are unequally torqued into a wood tabletop? At my present skill level it may not be an issue; but hopefully my abilities (and expectations) will improve over time. I don't want something like this to be a limiting factor.
              >
              > TIA,
              >
              > Mark

            • Bill Williams
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1 10:50 AM
                I found the G-0678 mill in the 2009 Catalog. Except for some cosmetic
                differences it is the same mill except for the following:

                (1) The newer mill has a three phase 220 V variable speed drive
                rather that the 1 1/2 HP 220 V motor with 12 speed belt drive.

                (2) The older mill has a built in coolant pump system.

                (3) Prices differed significantly!

                This should close the discussion! Bill in Boulder
              • Bill Williams
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1 11:20 AM
                  John Lindo wrote:

                  ------SNIP-----

                  > Normally store bought benches are approx 80-90 cm tall,what that is in
                  > feet and inches,leave that to the guys on the other side of the pond.
                  > Regards
                  > John L
                  > Spain.

                  By taking 40% of the height in CM or 4% of the height in MM you will
                  get a good approximation of the height in inches! Are percentages still
                  in use over in the EuroZone? Bill in Boulder
                • gerry waclawiak
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1 1:28 PM
                    Hi John,

                    yes that will be about right, my worktop and offcut are both 42mm (1 5/8") on a chest of drawers. The base of my mill is at 950mm (37.5") which is comfortable elbow height for me. I cut my packer a little tighter 25mm each side and also used coach bolts with nuts and washers, nuts on top

                    Gerry W
                    Leeds UK

                    To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1 9:48 PM
                      Hi Bill Off topic,but in reply about percentages.
                      Percentages are still used here in Europe.
                      Pay rises are worked out that way.
                      So a 3% pay increase for the shop floor worker on €30,000
                      versus a 3% increase for the executive on €100,000 are no different.
                      The bosses argue they both got the same percentage increase.
                      It's amazing how that simple point digit can effect peoples lives.
                      Bank bonuses are paid  in  a different way in Europe they go round singing Frank S's song,"I did (do) it my way",when they share it out.
                      they don't care,it's the tax payers money anyway.

                      Thanks god i am retired.
                      Best regards
                      John L
                      Spain.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2 8:53 AM
                        John Lindo wrote:

                        > Hi Bill Off topic,but in reply about percentages. Percentages are
                        > still used here in Europe. Pay rises are worked out that way. So a 3%
                        > pay increase for the shop floor worker on €30,000 versus a 3%
                        > increase for the executive on €100,000 are no different. The bosses
                        > argue they both got the same percentage increase. It's amazing how
                        > that simple point digit can effect peoples lives. Bank bonuses are
                        > paid in a different way in Europe they go round singing Frank S's
                        > song,"I did (do) it my way",when they share it out. they don't
                        > care,it's the tax payers money anyway.
                        >
                        > Thanks god i am retired. Best regards John L Spain.

                        Translation: The units may change but the results remain the same?
                        Things work about the same here. I too am retired with a paid for house
                        and solar electric on the roof! Where in Spain are you? Up north with
                        the Basque or down south with the Catalans?

                        Bill in Waay Liberal Boulder
                      • John Lindo
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2 9:01 AM
                          Hi Bill

                          Down South in the national park of the Sierra Espunas closest city  Murcia,and 25 miles from the port of Mazarron.
                          We have snow here in the winter and beautiful summers.not to hot being higher up.
                          Check out Aledo 30859 on Google maps.
                          Best regards.
                          Working in America for 26 years was the best thing I ever did,I still have a warm heart for the USA.
                          John L
                          Spain.

                          > Hi Bill Off topic,but in reply about percentages. Percentages are
                          > still used here in Europe. Pay rises are worked out that way. So a 3%
                          > pay increase for the shop floor worker on €30,000 versus a 3%
                          > increase for the executive on €100,000 are no different. The bosses
                          > argue they both got the same percentage increase. It's amazing how
                          > that simple point digit can effect peoples lives. Bank bonuses are
                          > paid  in  a different way in Europe they go round singing Frank S's
                          > song,"I did (do) it my way",when they share it out. they don't
                          > care,it's the tax payers money anyway.
                          >
                          > Thanks god i am retired. Best regards John L Spain.

                              Translation: The units may change but the results remain the same?
                          Things work about the same here. I too am retired with a paid for house
                          and solar electric on the roof! Where in Spain are you? Up north with
                          the Basque or down south with the Catalans?

                                  Bill in Waay Liberal Boulder

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 2 5:25 PM
                            You guys get on topic or I will moderate both of you. There will be no further warning.

                            Barry Young
                            Group owner

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 3 2:46 PM
                              John Lindo wrote:

                              > Hi Bill
                              >
                              > Down South in the national park of the Sierra Espunas closest city
                              > Murcia,and 25 miles from the port of Mazarron.
                              > We have snow here in the winter and beautiful summers.not to hot being
                              > higher up.
                              > Check out Aledo 30859 on Google maps.

                              Well after doing so it looks like you live in the middle of a small
                              walled city situated on a ridge crest between two streams. It rises to
                              the south to a castillio and the cathedral is to the south. Looks like
                              you have an apartment on a cul-de-sac facing westward. Should I check
                              the place out as a retirement local?

                              > Best regards.
                              > Working in America for 26 years was the best thing I ever did,I still
                              > have a warm heart for the USA.

                              I am sort of getting to the same viewpoint! Bill in Boulder

                              > John L
                            • John Lindo
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 3 9:36 PM
                                Hi Bill
                                Please send PM's if anymore interest ref this post in the future.
                                We could be moderated and or kicked off this site.
                                Regards
                                John L