Vise Repair - Improving a Drill Press Vise

  • kaje7777
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
      I've got a Ryobi bench-top drill press (variable speed), which I'm pretty happy with. On the other hand, the drill press vise that came with it is (was) not so great. The moveable jaw was kind of sticky and did not move smoothly, and the tops of the jaws were neither flat nor parallel to the base. All in all it was a pretty rough piece of work - functional, but just barely.

      I made a number of improvements to the vise a while ago, using the tools I had available at the time. When I finally got around to acquiring a mill, however, I decided I could do a lot more. Long story short, I milled the critical surfaces flat and parallel, and made a number of other tweaks. The whole project didn't take much more than an hour, but the vise is 100% better. It's never going to be a precision vise, but it is now a good basic tool that works with me instead of against me.

      I'm guessing there are a number of forum members with similar vises, so I put up a web page showing how I did it: https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc/vise-repair
    • CLevinski
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10 2:13 PM
        kaje7777,

        That's a neat little project, and nicely done! It makes me want to play
        with a couple of similar vises that I own; maybe I'll put that on the
        project schedule. Though if you did that all in one hour, you are about
        20 times faster than I am!

        Nice job... thanks for posting it.

        Charlie

        \
        > /vise-repair

        c/vise-repair>

      • kaje7777
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11 6:00 PM
          Thanks for the comment. I should clarify that I did the milling in about an hour - some of the other stuff I did before I got my mill. Still, I was a bit surprised myself at how quickly it went.

          If your vises were as roughly made as mine was, I think you'll be pleased at the improvement if you do this little project.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "CLevinski" wrote:

          > kaje7777,
          >
          > That's a neat little project, and nicely done! It makes me want to play
          > with a couple of similar vises that I own; maybe I'll put that on the
          > project schedule. Though if you did that all in one hour, you are about
          > 20 times faster than I am!
          >
          > Nice job... thanks for posting it.
          >
          > Charlie
          >
          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kaje7777" wrote:
          > >
          > > I've got a Ryobi bench-top drill press (variable speed), which I'm
          > > pretty happy with. On the other hand, the drill press vise that came
          > > with it is (was) not so great. The moveable jaw was kind of sticky and
          > > did not move smoothly, and the tops of the jaws were neither flat nor
          > > parallel to the base. All in all it was a pretty rough piece of work -
          > > functional, but just barely.
          > >
          > > I made a number of improvements to the vise a while ago, using the
          > tools
          > > I had available at the time. When I finally got around to acquiring a
          > > mill, however, I decided I could do a lot more. Long story short, I
          > > milled the critical surfaces flat and parallel, and made a number of
          > > other tweaks. The whole project didn't take much more than an hour,
          > but
          > > the vise is 100% better. It's never going to be a precision vise, but
          > it
          > > is now a good basic tool that works with me instead of against me.
          > >
          > > I'm guessing there are a number of forum members with similar vises,
          > so
          > > I put up a web page showing how I did it:
          > >
          > https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc\
          > \
          > > /vise-repair
          > >
          > c/vise-repair>

        • Bill Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12 9:52 AM
            kaje7777 wrote:
            > Thanks for the comment. I should clarify that I did the milling in
            > about an hour - some of the other stuff I did before I got my mill.
            > Still, I was a bit surprised myself at how quickly it went.
            >
            > If your vises were as roughly made as mine was, I think you'll be
            > pleased at the improvement if you do this little project.

            I have done the same for various cheap vises but I usually started
            by placing the stripped vise body upside down on a flat surface (surface
            plate) wit a pair of parallels under the ways. If it rocked then I had
            to set it up on the base shimming it to approximately level and cutting
            the ways true and flat. Then I rolled it over and cut the base. From
            there it was the same procedure! Bill in Boulder
          • kaje7777
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 12 12:10 PM
              Milling the base flat as well is a good idea, and I probably should have done it. No reason I can't go back and do it now, but since the vise is working well for what I use it for, I'll put that on my "one of these days" list.

              I'm going to add your suggestion to my web page for the benefit of anyone who happens to look at it.