Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: More Newbie Questions

  • JZ
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 31, 2012
       Whoa! No whapping on any machines here! :-)

       Pardon me for jumping in, but these guys are talking about removing the drill chuck and arbor (which are usually together as one piece) from the machine, and then separating the drill chuck from the arbor...

       For example, here is an R8 to JT33 drill chuck arbor. I.E. - the JT33 chuck is not shown. Notice how short the Jacobs Taper #33 is on the left end of the R8 arbor shown in this picture.
      R8 / JT33 arbor

       And here is an inexpensive drill chuck with a JT33 taper mount that would fit on the above R8 arbor. (I chose R8 because that is what my mini-mill's spindle  uses; there are MT2 and MT3 to JT33 arbors and etc. as well. MT2 - Morse Taper #2 - arbors are very common for the tailstocks on the 7x mini-lathes, for example. Drill presses use various kinds that you'd have to check out for yourself to see what you have.)
      1/2" drill chuck - Jacobs Taper # 33

       What the other good people are describing is basically separating and finagling the chuck to arbor mounting back together as needed, so as to end up with least runout possible. The point here is there is no whapping and tapping being done on a mini-mill, drill press, or mini-lathe tail stock.

       What gets more fun is measured run out on, say, a 1/8" or 1/4 inch diameter bar held in the chuck, is liable to be a little bit different from the measured runout on a 3/8" or 1/2" test bar, and so forth. In the 10 billion conversations you will see about drills tending to drill holes a bit oversize from their stated sizes, this is one of the culprits details not always mentioned. Most every mini-mill and mini-lathe comes with a very inexpensive drill chuck on an appropriate taper mount, so we all get to play around with trying to get more accuracy out of our cheap drill chucks, sooner or later. Mileage varies widely. :-)

       John Z. York, Pa. USA.

      On 12/31/2012 6:56 PM, temmach2 wrote:

      thanks, I did not whacking my drill press all day to get it closer to true, but I am feeling pretty paranoid about what any tapping would do to the spindle bearings, is that definately ok?
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com , BrianK <briankenyn2@...> wrote:
      > As an afterthought, separate the drill chuck from the arbor and using a DI, find the 'sweet spot' and lightly tap it home. Remove the chuck and arbor from the machine and use a piece or two of wood to insure that the chuck and arbor are tightly joined. Reinstall and pray.

    • John Lindo
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 4, 2013
        I agree with your reply.
        Guards can also help protect other surrounding people not associated with working machines.
        I worked many years in a piecework tool room. IE Paid for what you produced per hour.
        So dollars versus adequately guarded machines and safety seemed the norm and came in second place.
        Milling machines are particularly hard to effectively guard.The coolant seems to go everywhere,but some eventually falls on the floor,where
        One day a storeman walked past a milling machine in operation ,slipped on the coolant on the floor and broke his ankle.
        It's always worth considering yours and other people's welfare and safety,whatever you or they are doing in life.
        I am sure you teach this philosophy to your students in class.
        John L