Re: [GrizHFMinimill] DRO Opinions now rotary table mounting

  • John Lindo
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2012
      Looking at the picture,it shows a 4 jaw chuck.and 4 tee slots in the R/T
      Why not drill and counterbore 4 holes for cap head bolts/screws vertically through the chuck equi
      spaced between the jaws and use 4 tee nuts to pull it down to the table.
      This is how my 3 jaw chuck is located.The chuck came with the R/T drilled through equi spaced for tee nuts and cap head bolts.
      For my 4 jaw chuck to fit on the R/T ,I made up an adapter plate,firstly 3 holes through the plate (as I have only 3 tee slots)
      to screw to the R/T table and then 4 holes drilled and tapped 5 mm that line up exactly to locate the 4 jaw chuck.The chuck
      I use is the same as that supplied with the Real bull lathe.
      If you make up an adapter plate ,it's good idea you machine the spigot dia 72 mm step and on the other side
      turn a spigot nose,#2 morse taper if your R/T has that feature.or a good fit spigot diameter concentric with the 72 mm step.
      this makes locating and fixing chucks on and off a breeze.
      John L
      Spain

      On 2012-12-05 03:46, Robert Furmanak wrote:

      Hello,

                      I have two Shumatech DRO’s.  One is the original 350 and the other is the current 550.  While the 350 is considered obsolete, it is still a serviceable unit with many useful features.  You may find one used from someone at the Shumatech group cheap.  The 550 is available intermittently, and currently out of stock, but I believe the 375 is available.  I use inexpensive calipers and scales while others use more accurate and expensive glass scales.  I can only comment on my system, which I will say is plenty accurate for a Mini Mill, is inexpensive and reliable.  My systems have been in use for 3 years now without any failures.  For more info, see my blog post.
      Regards,
      Robert

    • david@electricmusic.co.uk
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2012
        Good to know you sorted that.

        A golden rule when dealing with battery powered equipment, suspect the battery and change it. Another common problem is bad battery connections, even when they look good they can have an oily film on there.
        Best regards
        David Wiseman

        From: John Lindo <bechetboat@...>
        Sender: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:09:32 -0800 (PST)
        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com<GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] DRO Opinions

        David
        I swapped 1 battery for a new one in both positions of the 2 battery ports,
        did not work,still went out in under a minute.
        Swapped both batteries now OK.
        Shows how sensitive they are on battery life.
        Possibly a feature for Igaging in the future is to a include low battery symbol.
        I really like DRO,s good for my old eyes,but by habit I still turn the mill handles clockwise up to a DRO number or off  a datum face to keep the
        screw backlash in one direction.
        Regards
        John L
        Spain.

        From: John Lindo <bechetboat@...>
        Sender: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 20:23:51 -0800 (PST)
        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com<GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

        Just bought and fitted the Igaging DRO's from Micromark. for my Weiss mill.
        Very pleased with them.
        For some reason,not yet had time to work it out,one of the axis turns off within 1 minute,while the other unit stays
        on.
        No real problem as when i turn it back on,it remembers the numbers on the display.
        Must be in the settings.
        John L
        Spain.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 6, 2012
          Goran,

          Unfortunately that picture is a little misleading, for it shows 2 complete parts and two incomplete. In the end all four look the same.
          They work very well, but the design only works if your chuck is larger than the table. With a 5 inch chuck, I had to use button head screws to hold the chuck, and the heads of the buttons are slightly inside the T slots on the table. To install or uninstall the chuck, you must turn each screw a little at a time. It also requires a cut down wrench to fit in the small space between the base and the underside of the chuck. You need to make the brackets a close fit, and just slightly lower than the surface of the table in order to get the chuck to tighten down properly. They center the chuck reasonably well, but if accurate alignment is critical, you could turn an alignment plug that fits in the center bores in the table and chuck.
          This setup has a huge advantage over using an adapter plate. My 5 inch chuck's top is actually lower than a 3 inch chuck with an adapter plate.

          Robert