Spindle Bearings, Belt Drive, & Gas Spring install

  • byghtn2
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2012
      Hello all,

      1. I was wondering if the bearings in the spindle should be upgraded to 30206 tapered roller bearings? Do they fit without much trouble? 1 or 2, Top & Bottom?

      2. I am also going to install a Steele/LMS belt drive, would this allow me to remove everything from inside the head? (except for spindle & 2 bearings). Would a precision spacer between the bearings be needed inside? What kind of lube are you using? Oil, grease, red camshaft break-in lube? What about subsequent lube applications? How often?

      3. Are there any special tricks to installing the LMS Gas Spring that might make things better, easier, smoother, what ever??

      Thanks in advance for any advice,
      John
    • davidjones686@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2012
        Hi John.
        I converted my Chester Conquest, back in 2011.... http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4754.0

        The spindle was also swapped, for an R8 taper version.

        1. Yes!
        No problems fitting. If you can manage a car wheel bearing change, this is just as easy.....

        2. Yes!
        I took everything out of the head, and plugged the holes.
        No spacer needed.
        I used white lithium grease, and haven't touched it since.

        3.
        Can't help with the gas strut. Both of my machines had one, factory fitted.......

        Regards,David.
        Derbyshire, UK.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "byghtn2" <byghtn2@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > 1. I was wondering if the bearings in the spindle should be upgraded to 30206 tapered roller bearings? Do they fit without much trouble? 1 or 2, Top & Bottom?
        >
        > 2. I am also going to install a Steele/LMS belt drive, would this allow me to remove everything from inside the head? (except for spindle & 2 bearings). Would a precision spacer between the bearings be needed inside? What kind of lube are you using? Oil, grease, red camshaft break-in lube? What about subsequent lube applications? How often?
        >
        > 3. Are there any special tricks to installing the LMS Gas Spring that might make things better, easier, smoother, what ever??
        >

        > Thanks in advance for any advice,
        > John

      • gerry waclawiak
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2012
          Hi John,

          the mini-mill head is based upon the same casting as the original Sieg mini-lathe and has the same ball bearings.

          Many people find their stock bearings acceptable or have been able to adjust them to acceptable (my mill is fine after several years) but a change to 30206 bearings is a long recognised improvement on both lathe and mill. Check yours and decide if you need an improvement. It is not a particularly difficult mod but is time consuming

          If your mill has an MT3 spindle then a pair of 30206's. I think the design was changed when they introduced an R8 spindle and I believe that different bearings will be required.Check what you have before proceeding.Someone on here will know the drill for an R8.

          The belt conversion is great, you can manage with the stock but the conversion improves the mill in many ways. I did a "home-brew" a few years ago and wish I had done it sooner.

          There is no need to remove the guts inside the head to fit the belt conversion, it is normal to remove the external gear and park the speed change in neutral and remove the operating lever. If you do change the bearings you might as well remove the remaining parts from the old gear mechanism but will need to plug the holes in the casting where the shafts are removed.

          The new bearings are simply lubed with a standard lithium grease (like a standard auto wheel bearing -don't overpack) and require no routine maintenance. It would not hurt however to clean and relube them after several years.

          I can't help with the LMS kit installation other than to recommend it. Many people are unaware that when the mini-mill was introduced they actually came with a gas spring and it was changed after a few years to the current lever arm arrangement. It did make the milll cheaper to make and sell but was no improvement as it did not support the head as well, got in the way and restricted the z axis travel. I got my mill just before they changed and having tried a newer mill the gas spring is much better.

          Hope this helps

          Gerry W
          Leeds UK

          The LMS kit pretty well replicates the original arrangement and should be an easy fit and big improvement.