Drilling Through: how to set part on table

  • robertomesnik
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
      This may sound really stupid but I rather hear the correct way than to try some weird ones...

      I need to drill some hole on a plate (3/8 thick) and I imagine I should clamp the plate to the table (can't use the vise as the plate is rather large), but something must be underneath the plate as the holes will be through holes....

      How do you do it? Just a piece of laminate wood? Is it flat enough to ensure the holes are square?

      Thanks for the help!
    • Randy Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
        Roberto; You can use a plywood as a drilling backer. It will be even
        enough.

        Another way is to support with work piece on a set of 1-2-3 blocks.
        http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1233&category=

        In either case, clamp the work piece down to hold it firm.

        Later.... Randy S
        Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

        On 11/21/2012 10:52 PM, robertomesnik wrote:

        > I need to drill some hole on a plate (3/8 thick) and I imagine I
        > should clamp the plate to the table (can't use the vise as the plate
        > is rather large), but something must be underneath the plate as the
        > holes will be through holes....
      • Bob Headrick
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
          I would suggest a thick piece of MDF. It is very flat and should be very
          stable and reusable (unless it gets cutting oil in it.

          - Bob Headrick

          This may sound really stupid but I rather hear the correct way than to try
          some weird ones...

          I need to drill some hole on a plate (3/8 thick) and I imagine I should
          clamp the plate to the table (can't use the vise as the plate is rather
          large), but something must be underneath the plate as the holes will be
          through holes....

          How do you do it? Just a piece of laminate wood? Is it flat enough to
          ensure the holes are square?

          Thanks for the help!

          -----
          No virus found in this message.
        • michael kolchins
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
            You could use mdf  (medium denisty fiber board) which is a man made panel .Mdf is flat, a piece of wood may not be.
            Plywood probably is good enough. Unless the holes have to be absolutely square to the plate ,I would use any thing that appeared flat. You might be able to stack parallels in a fashion that will enable you to bore the holes without moving the parallels.
            mike

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
              Thanks for the help, guys!!

              I used some 1/4 in plywood and it worked pretty well. The next plate I will try the mfd with collored paper! That sounds like a great simple idea!

              I am working on the belt drive conversion... Fun little project!! Thanks for the plans available here.

              I will post pics one up and running.

              Happy Thanksgiving!!!

              Roberto

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, michael kolchins <kwoodhands@...> wrote:

              > You could use mdf  (medium denisty fiber board) which is a man made panel .Mdf is flat, a piece of wood may not be.
              > Plywood probably is good enough. Unless the holes have to be absolutely square to the plate ,I would use any thing that appeared flat. You might be able to stack parallels in a fashion that will enable you to bore the holes without moving the parallels.
              > mike
              >

              > >________________________________

            • Bill Williams
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
                robertomesnik wrote:
                > This may sound really stupid but I rather hear the correct way than
                > to try some weird ones...
                >
                > I need to drill some hole on a plate (3/8 thick) and I imagine I
                > should clamp the plate to the table (can't use the vise as the plate
                > is rather large), but something must be underneath the plate as the
                > holes will be through holes....
                >
                > How do you do it? Just a piece of laminate wood? Is it flat enough
                > to ensure the holes are square?
                >
                > Thanks for the help!

                A piece of MDF is generally flatter. If you incorporate a piece of
                colored paper under the work it will let you know when you have gone far
                enough! That trick saved my table once when a cutter walked out of the
                collet! I saw blue scraps; retracted the quill; and left the table
                unmarred! That's dodging the bullet! Bill in Boulder
              • davesmith1800
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
                  Some work I just use wood. If it work need to be square I drill over the tee slot or use key stock (parallels).
                  I have seen the other way just drill on the table of the mill some they drill hole through the mill table and screw.

                  Dave