Used rotary table, advice

  • ivan.marko@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hi,

      I am considering the purchase of a used rotary table (125mm) with adapter and chuck.
      What are the general advices, what/how to check, how much of inaccuracy is "allowed" and where?

      Thanks to all
    • John Lindo
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
        Best advice I can give is, see if you can't  find an inclinable circular table.
        Worth paying the extra.
        Regards
        John L

        I am considering the purchase of a used rotary table (125mm) with adapter and chuck.
        What are the general advices, what/how to check, how much of inaccuracy is "allowed" and where?

        Thanks to all

      • bbass408
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 7, 2012
          In order to get the best advice, you would want to post more information about dimensions and whether or not it comes with an indexing wheel.
          On our mills, we tend be more limited by height once you stack the chuck on the adapter (if you have one) on the RT. But, 5" or more might also make you want to be wary of diameter too since you'll likely have very little room to move in the Y direction.

          Anyway, a little more info on the RT will get you some more interesting feedback.

        • ivan.marko@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
            Thanks bbass408,

            I guess my options are something like ebay's "4 inch mini rotary table with chuck" for around 150$ or heavy Vertex or similar which (with adapter plate and chuck) would be too expensive. Here (in Europe) I have from time to time the options to buy used one that would be by the price somewhere in between but I don't have enough experience to check it's quality. I'm not even sure if this type of tool should be purchased as used?
            If would like to use it mostly mounted horizontally as "light" lathe replacement.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@...> wrote:

            > In order to get the best advice, you would want to post more information about dimensions and whether or not it comes with an indexing wheel.
            > On our mills, we tend be more limited by height once you stack the chuck on the adapter (if you have one) on the RT. But, 5" or more might also make you want to be wary of diameter too since you'll likely have very little room to move in the Y direction.
            >
            > Anyway, a little more info on the RT will get you some more interesting feedback.
            >

            > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ivan.marko@" <ivan.marko@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I am considering the purchase of a used rotary table (125mm) with adapter and chuck.
            > > What are the general advices, what/how to check, how much of inaccuracy is "allowed" and where?
            > >
            > > Thanks to all

          • bbass408
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
              I bought this one:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-precision-horizontal-and-vertical-rotary-table-/170729688086?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item27c0484c16
              and the matching dividing plate and thought it was a good deal at the time. Appears the same as the mid-level one from LMS for quite a bit less money. I'm very happy with the way it works.
              But, JTS on eBay is selling one for like 70.00. I have no idea what it is, but that is amazingly cheap:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ROTARY-TABLE-NEW-3-28-12-/230768653517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bae234cd
              Lots of others selling the same one for more money.
              Not sure what the all differences are. I did notice the worm gear ratio is double on the more expensive one.

              $150 with a chuck on your used one is not a bad deal. I'd suggest making sure you can at least get an dividing plate for whatever you buy even if you don't buy the indexer now. And, check the height compared to your Z work envelope to make sure you're going to have room for a mill/drill bit and whatever you're going to cut.

              Look at lots of pics from various eBay and other vendor listings and find out which ones match -- screw locations, paint texture, graduation marks, etc. It's like buying a counterfeit Rolex. :)

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ivan.marko@..." <ivan.marko@...> wrote:

              > Thanks bbass408,
              >
              > I guess my options are something like ebay's "4 inch mini rotary table with chuck" for around 150$ or heavy Vertex or similar which (with adapter plate and chuck) would be too expensive. Here (in Europe) I have from time to time the options to buy used one that would be by the price somewhere in between but I don't have enough experience to check it's quality. I'm not even sure if this type of tool should be purchased as used?
              > If would like to use it mostly mounted horizontally as "light" lathe replacement.
              >

              > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@> wrote:
              > >
              > > In order to get the best advice, you would want to post more information about dimensions and whether or not it comes with an indexing wheel.
              > > On our mills, we tend be more limited by height once you stack the chuck on the adapter (if you have one) on the RT. But, 5" or more might also make you want to be wary of diameter too since you'll likely have very little room to move in the Y direction.
              > >
              > > Anyway, a little more info on the RT will get you some more interesting feedback.
              > >

              > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ivan.marko@" <ivan.marko@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I am considering the purchase of a used rotary table (125mm) with adapter and chuck.
              > > > What are the general advices, what/how to check, how much of inaccuracy is "allowed" and where?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks to all

            • John Lindo
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2012
                Check out the inclinable type. 0 90 degree.with #2 morse taper.and add on indexing plates.
                I have one exactly like it,very happy with it.
                not suggesting you buy from this vendor because of freight costs to you.

                If the link does not work just search for www.rdgtools.
                Regards
                John

                and the matching dividing plate and thought it was a good deal at the time. Appears the same as the mid-level one from LMS for quite a bit less money. I'm very happy with the way it works.
                But, JTS on eBay is selling one for like 70.00. I have no idea what it is, but that is amazingly cheap:
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ROTARY-TABLE-NEW-3-28-12-/230768653517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bae234cd
                Lots of others selling the same one for more money.
                Not sure what the all differences are. I did notice the worm gear ratio is double on the more expensive one.

                $150 with a chuck on your used one is not a bad deal. I'd suggest making sure you can at least get an dividing plate for whatever you buy even if you don't buy the indexer now. And, check the height compared to your Z work envelope to make sure you're going to have room for a mill/drill bit and whatever you're going to cut.

                Look at lots of pics from various eBay and other vendor listings and find out which ones match -- screw locations, paint texture, graduation marks, etc. It's like buying a counterfeit Rolex. :)

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ivan.marko@..." <ivan.marko@...> wrote:

                > Thanks bbass408,
                >
                > I guess my options are something like ebay's "4 inch mini rotary table with chuck" for around 150$ or heavy Vertex or similar which (with adapter plate and chuck) would be too expensive. Here (in Europe) I have from time to time the options to buy used one that would be by the price somewhere in between but I don't have enough experience to check it's quality. I'm not even sure if this type of tool should be purchased as used?
                > If would like to use it mostly mounted horizontally as "light" lathe replacement.
                >

                > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@> wrote:
                > >
                > > In order to get the best advice, you would want to post more information about dimensions and whether or not it comes with an indexing wheel.
                > > On our mills, we tend be more limited by height once you stack the chuck on the adapter (if you have one) on the RT. But, 5" or more might also make you want to be wary of diameter too since you'll likely have very little room to move in the Y direction.
                > >
                > > Anyway, a little more info on the RT will get you some more interesting feedback.
                > >

                > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ivan.marko@" <ivan.marko@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > I am considering the purchase of a used rotary table (125mm) with adapter and chuck.
                > > > What are the general advices, what/how to check, how much of inaccuracy is "allowed" and where?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks to all

              • bbass408
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 12, 2012
                  > Check out the inclinable type. 0 90 degree.with #2 morse taper.and add on indexing plates.
                  Aren't almost all of them horizontal/vertical? Or maybe you're talking about something else.

                  I think MT2 is pretty standard at that size too except that cheap one which doesn't seem to have a morse taper center hole. Thanks for catching that. Yet another reason why it's so cheap.

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:

                  > Check out the inclinable type. 0 90 degree.with #2 morse taper.and add on indexing plates.
                  > I have one exactly like it,very happy with it.
                  > not suggesting you buy from this vendor because of freight costs to you.
                  > http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Rotary_Tables_2___3___4_.__50mm_75mm_100mm_.html
                  >

                  > If the link does not work just search for www.rdgtools.
                  > Regards
                  > John
                  >

                  > >________________________________

                • johann_ohnesorg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2012
                    Buy a 5" Vertex. Buy the dividing plates. Make an adaptor for your chuck. Sod the money and life happy everafter.

                    Rotarys don´t surface on the cheap, at least not good ones. A good one has a 1:72 or 1:90 gearing (old industial ones for cutting gears often had 1:40 precision gearing), an adjustable gear and two lockdowns that channel the cutting forces through the rotarys body. It also has a morse taper down it´s middle and is adjustable for enplay of the table, not only the gearing. Cheap ones channel forces via the drivetrain that usually has endplay and therefore, your parts look like a Gorilla gnawed them from lowest grade scrap aluminum.

                    In case you´re electronically inclined don´t buy the dividing plates, make an electronic rotary controller. There is an open source project out there to be built with standard components.

                    Cheers,
                    Johann
                  • fmvf@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 13, 2012
                      I think he was referring to a Tilting Rotary Table. Not everyone would have a need for one of those, although they are nice to have. The really good ones will cost you an arm and leg, and then some.

                      Frank MvF

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@...> wrote:

                      > > Check out the inclinable type. 0 90 degree.with #2 morse taper.and add on indexing plates.
                      > Aren't almost all of them horizontal/vertical? Or maybe you're talking about something else.
                      >
                      > I think MT2 is pretty standard at that size too except that cheap one which doesn't seem to have a morse taper center hole. Thanks for catching that. Yet another reason why it's so cheap.
                      >

                      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Lindo <bechetboat@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Check out the inclinable type. 0 90 degree.with #2 morse taper.and add on indexing plates.
                      > > I have one exactly like it,very happy with it.
                      > > not suggesting you buy from this vendor because of freight costs to you.
                      > > http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Rotary_Tables_2___3___4_.__50mm_75mm_100mm_.html
                      > >

                      > > If the link does not work just search for www.rdgtools.
                      > > Regards
                      > > John

                    • dave_mucha
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 14, 2012
                        If your goal is a light lathe replacement, considder the forces you need.

                        I have a pair of pillow block bearings (1 inch ID) with a solid shaft and a small chuck. I put a stepper on it for both rotation and steps. works great.

                        works great with light duty projects. I have not tried to do anything with steel.

                        the unit would work great for engraving dials and such. I used it for aligning holes in pipe for a project I used to make.

                        If I was to do another one, I would use 4 pillow block bearings and a double angular contact bearing.

                        Dave