Re: [GrizHFMinimill] making radius cut on bottom of flat stock?

  • Fred Masters
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23 10:59 AM
    Jerry,

    Here is an approach using an 1/4" ball end mill and standard milling vise.

    Good luck with your project.

    Fred

    Message 2 of 15 , Sep 23 7:50 PM
      Jerry.
      You never mentioned if the flat stock was to be permanently positioned onto the tube, IE Braize / weld
      or was to just butt up and the part or tube revolved around one or another.
      What was the material of choice.
      I suppose it's sounds stupid,but what about scribing the radius off the tube,and use a good old fashioned file.
      You can get very close if you carefully file to the line and offer the parts to one another seeing where the light comes through.
      Regards

      Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23 10:33 PM
        Or mill a flat on the tube?

        Message 4 of 15 , Sep 24 6:44 AM

          Thanks for the replies guys...

          Fred.. nice pic.. illustrated it great..

          John-

          It woull be screwed down at some point..

          I usually work in ALuminum only

          I could file.. but I was looking for a bit 'better finish' is all.. somethign didnt look like I filed it.. LOL..

          thanks.. hopefully giving it a 'go' this weekend.. :)

          Message 5 of 15 , Sep 25 7:11 AM
            This looks similar to a rifle sight mount. Long and flat.

            Using that as a form to discusses, you could use a ball mill to cut the radius. Since ther is little chance you have the exact dia, you could take multiple passes to eliminate the high spots.

            I would work the wanted radius out on a spreadsheet then use indicators to verify positions. Of the movements. You are working too tight to rely on dials alone.

            Once done, I would use some lapping compound and bed the part for a perfect fit.

            Dav