Re: Y axis powerfeed

  • Bill Collins
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2003
      Hi Jerry.
      My mistake.I will have a look at Franks setup and see what I can come
      up with.
      Have lots of different motors and gears to play with.Thanks again and
      God Bless.
      Bill Collins
      Rebels Metal Shop
      Portsmouth,Ohio
    • Bill Collins
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 16, 2003
        Hello Jerry.
        Well I started on the powerfeed for the "X" axis.I followed Franks
        instructions on his modification.I drilled the feedscrew and the pin
        hole,made the extension shaft and have been experimenting with some
        gears.I will probably set mine up the same as Franks.Now I need to
        build a power-supply and speed control then just assemble everyhting.
        I'll keep using the hand wheel for moving the table untill I get the
        rest of my parts together.
        Thank you so much for your help.I really do appreciate it.Thanks and
        God Bless.
        Bill Collins
        Rebels Metal Shop
        Portsmouth,Ohio
      • jjfear
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 16, 2003
          Glad you could use the info. Can't help you much with the power
          control. Harvey White and others discussed this issue on the 7x10
          lathe group at some length, but I'm too dumb at electronics to figure
          out what they wewre talking about. That's why I ended up buying the
          commercial modle, since the power control was built in.

          Jerry

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Collins"
          <bill_collins14@y...> wrote:
          > Hello Jerry.
          > Well I started on the powerfeed for the "X" axis.I followed Franks
          > instructions on his modification.
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 16, 2003
            On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:58:00 -0000, you wrote:

            >Glad you could use the info. Can't help you much with the power
            >control. Harvey White and others discussed this issue on the 7x10
            >lathe group at some length, but I'm too dumb at electronics to figure
            >out what they wewre talking about. That's why I ended up buying the
            >commercial modle, since the power control was built in.

            Strangely enough, I happen to be here as well... Need help on this?
            It should be a straight forward PWM controller..

            Do be certain you use a motor rated for continuous duty. In case you
            hadn't thought of it.

            Harvey

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 16, 2003
              Harvey.thanks for the tip.
              Well the motor I am using is from a childs old power wheels
              vehicle.With the gear arrangement on those,they have quite a bit of
              torque.And I have several in case one burns out.

              I was going to try Frank Hoose's method of controlling the motor
              speed with a dimmer switch in line with a small motor cycle charger
              or something similar.I also have some heavier duty motors that could
              be used also.

              Already have the gear train figured out now need to make brackets to
              attach everything to the mill table.
              Thanks again for the tip,much appreciated.Thanks and God Bless.
              Bill C.
            • ljack70117@adelphia.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 16, 2003
                FYI. The dimmer switches you but in the hardware store are not a
                rheostat. They are SRC units. They do not reduce the voltage. They
                control the time the motor is on and off. In other words they send
                pulse type voltage to your motor. I use one on a Micro Mark saw. While
                it seems to get the job done, the saw can be stalled if I am not
                careful. Also they are low wattage of about 350 watts. They will burn
                out if the wattage gets to high.
                Thank you
                Larry Jackman
                On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 12:41 AM, Bill Collins wrote:

                > Harvey.thanks for the tip.
                > Well the motor I am using is from a childs old power wheels
                > vehicle.With the gear arrangement on those,they have quite a bit of
                > torque.And I have several in case one burns out.
                >
                > I was going to try Frank Hoose's method of controlling the motor
                > speed with a dimmer switch in line with a small motor cycle charger
                > or something similar.I also have some heavier duty motors that could
                > be used also.
                >
                > Already have the gear train figured out now need to make brackets to
                > attach everything to the mill table.
                > Thanks again for the tip,much appreciated.Thanks and God Bless.
                > Bill C.

              • Harvey White
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 16, 2003
                  On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:41:44 -0000, you wrote:

                  >Harvey.thanks for the tip.
                  >Well the motor I am using is from a childs old power wheels
                  >vehicle.With the gear arrangement on those,they have quite a bit of
                  >torque.And I have several in case one burns out.

                  They should be good enough for continuous duty. Especially if you can
                  manage to run them at lower voltage and/or current.

                  >I was going to try Frank Hoose's method of controlling the motor
                  >speed with a dimmer switch in line with a small motor cycle charger
                  >or something similar.I also have some heavier duty motors that could
                  >be used also.
                  >
                  >Already have the gear train figured out now need to make brackets to
                  >attach everything to the mill table.
                  >Thanks again for the tip,much appreciated.Thanks and God Bless.

                  Sure, no problem. If you run into torque problems (not enough) at low
                  speeds, you may want to investigate a PWM style of motor control.
                  That should yield better torque at lower speeds. I'll be
                  experimenting with a variety of that on some servo motors, but the end
                  result should be the same.

                  Harvey

                  >Bill C.

                • trz200
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 18, 2003
                    <bill_collins14@y...> wrote:
                    > Hello group.
                    > I am looking for information on adding a powerfeed to the "Y" axis
                    of
                    > my Grizzly 8689 mini mill.I would appreciate any help with this
                    > project.I have several electric window and windshield wiper motors
                    > that could be used for power.I need to know what machining steps
                    are
                    > necessary on the feed screw and how to regulate the speed of the
                    > travel.
                    > One more question,will I be able to use the handwheel manually
                    after
                    > the motor is installed.Thanks in advance and God Bless.
                    >
                    > Bill Collins
                    > Rebels Metal Shop
                    > Portsmouth,Ohio

                    Is there any agreement among the mill distributors on which axis is
                    which? On my Homier, the manual calls the long axis, (left-right) the
                    Y-axis and the short axis, (forward-rear) the X-axis but in postings
                    on this site I've seen it both ways. It gets confusing when I see "X-
                    axis" without any other description. I immediately think: Which X-
                    axis?
                  • Chris Wood
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 18, 2003
                      All these mini mills are made in the same factor, and share the same
                      instruction manual (with different covers). The manual is wrong. It calls
                      the long axis the Y-axis.

                      No matter what your instruction manual says, the long (left-to-right) axis
                      of a mill is the X-axis.

                      Regards,
                      Chris Wood
                      LittleMachineShop.com <www.littlemachineshop.com>
                      The premier source of parts and accessories for mini lathes and mini mills.
                      221 E. Walnut St. #110, Pasadena, CA 91101
                      (800)981-9663 * Fax (626)584-5844

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 18, 2003
                        In the machine shops where I worked, the X axis is the table long way.
                        The Y axis id the the carriage moving to or away from the column.
                        I have an other question.
                        On the GrizHF mill what is the size of the table?? My Central Machinery
                        mill it is 9 3/8 long so I do not need a 12 inch DRO because for fine
                        close milling I can only use about 8 inches so a 8 inch DRO should do
                        the job.
                        Thank you
                        Larry Jackman
                      • Bill Collins
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 18, 2003
                          Hi Larry and the rest.The "Y" was my mistake.I was thinking one thing
                          and typed another.I realized the mistake after I had already posted
                          the initial question.Sorry for the mix-up.

                          Bill C.