Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Why are my new drill bits drilling small holes?

  • Tom P
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 6, 2012
      On Sat, 7 Jul 2012, bbass408 wrote:

      > I still have my original question though:
      > Why is it that two drill bits -- both .250 at the chuck end -- drilling different size holes? Maybe it's the grind of the sharpening edge. Measuring diameter on that part is interesting. I'll go try.

      Just an FYI: you are measuring them at the wrong point. You should not
      measure the shank of the bit. You should measure the flutes. The shank
      is back tapered so that it will not "catch" on the hole you are drilling.
      But even so, there are several factors which could still cause the
      diameters to be different between individual bits, such as:
      Different manufacturers
      Different tolerance between cheap and quality bits
      Allowable tolerance in manufacturing the bits because you are supposed to
      use a reamer for accuracy. ;)

      TomP
    • Yahoo!© Security Center
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 15, 2012
        Bill, That was a better answer than mine!

        Brian