What kind of taps for a power tapping head?

  • bbass408
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 19, 2012
      I ordered the Chinese knock off of the Tapmatic. I'm wondering if using my hand taps with that might just be downright stupid. Seems the "spiral point" taps are what is appropriate for the tapping head.

      Should I get some spiral point taps or are the hand taps OK?

      For the spiral point taps if I order those, seems I want plug style with H3 clearance. Any opinions on 2 or 3 flutes?
    • Rodneys Railroad Tools
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 19, 2012
        Two flute taps are the strongest.

        Rodney

        Rodneys Railroad Tools (My Custom Made Layout Tools)
        http://rodneysrailroadtools.x10.mx/

        Fred and Rods Nscale Empire (My Dad and Me)
        http://www.fredlux.com/lux/nscale

        Scott Wright - Custom Train Decals (This is who I use.)
        http://solidesign.bizland.com

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 19, 2012
          Thanks Rodney. What about the "spiral point" business? Would it really be that much better than using 2 flute hand tap for the tapping head?

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 19, 2012
              Spiral point, not spiral flute, right?

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 19, 2012
                Actually, seems most of my hand taps are 4 flute. Should be OK for the 5/16 and 3/8, but the 1/4 and smaller might be asking a lot.

                I'll be doing mostly aluminum -- at least for now.

                  • Brian Pitt
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 20, 2012
                      On Tuesday 19 June 2012 21:19:59 bbass408 wrote:
                      > Thanks Rodney. What about the "spiral point" business? Would it really be that much better than using 2 flute hand tap for the tapping head?

                      for machine taps you have a few options
                      for thru holes or where there is enough head room for the chips you can use a spiral point or gun tap (shoots the chips forward)

                      in a blind hole you'll want a helical tap that will pull the chip out these come in standard or high helix varieties
                      depending on how deep you have to go and how stringy the chips are going to be

                      or you can use a roll forming tap ,there's no chip so you can use it for either one but you will need to use a larger tap drill then
                      you would for a cut thread tap (google 'roll form tap drill' for a chart) unless you are tapping hardened alloys these are probably
                      going to be the best bet

                      the usual straight flute hand taps should only be used for shallow holes in short chipping materials like brass or cast iron
                      on steel or aluminum the longer chips will pack in the flutes and snap the tool

                      Brian
                      --
                      Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
                    • bbass408
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 20, 2012
                        > the usual straight flute hand taps should only be used for shallow holes in short chipping materials like brass or cast iron
                        > on steel or aluminum the longer chips will pack in the flutes and snap the tool

                        That definitely makes sense to me. But, read another article that also made sense to me that recommended the spiral flute taps only for blind holes since they eject chips up. The spiral point, straight flute ones were recommended for through holes. It's just another opinion and I'm guessing that both "spiral" flavors would do.

                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Brian Pitt <bfp@...> wrote:

                        > On Tuesday 19 June 2012 21:19:59 bbass408 wrote:
                        > > Thanks Rodney. What about the "spiral point" business? Would it really be that much better than using 2 flute hand tap for the tapping head?
                        >
                        > for machine taps you have a few options
                        > for thru holes or where there is enough head room for the chips you can use a spiral point or gun tap (shoots the chips forward)
                        >
                        > in a blind hole you'll want a helical tap that will pull the chip out these come in standard or high helix varieties
                        > depending on how deep you have to go and how stringy the chips are going to be
                        >
                        > or you can use a roll forming tap ,there's no chip so you can use it for either one but you will need to use a larger tap drill then
                        > you would for a cut thread tap (google 'roll form tap drill' for a chart) unless you are tapping hardened alloys these are probably
                        > going to be the best bet
                        >
                        > the usual straight flute hand taps should only be used for shallow holes in short chipping materials like brass or cast iron
                        > on steel or aluminum the longer chips will pack in the flutes and snap the tool
                        >
                        > Brian
                        > --
                        > Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

                      • bbass408
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 20, 2012
                          I had some spiral points in 1/4 and 5/16 that I bought not knowing better sometime back.
                          I just bought some more spiral point to fill out 10-32 - 3/8 -- Hertel branded.
                          I also ordered a few spiral flute bottoming in the Enco brand just to try them.
                          All of those with some other odds and ends were about 28.00.
                          I'm going to skip forming for now since they only go up to 1/4 at Enco and they're a little pricey.
                          Also, anyone ever try the drill/tap combo bits with a tapping head on home quality drill press -- 1 HP Grizzly?

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@...> wrote:

                          > > the usual straight flute hand taps should only be used for shallow holes in short chipping materials like brass or cast iron
                          > > on steel or aluminum the longer chips will pack in the flutes and snap the tool
                          >

                          > That definitely makes sense to me. But, read another article that also made sense to me that recommended the spiral flute taps only for blind holes since they eject chips up. The spiral point, straight flute ones were recommended for through holes. It's just another opinion and I'm guessing that both "spiral" flavors would do.
                          >
                          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Brian Pitt <bfp@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On Tuesday 19 June 2012 21:19:59 bbass408 wrote:
                          > > > Thanks Rodney. What about the "spiral point" business? Would it really be that much better than using 2 flute hand tap for the tapping head?
                          > >
                          > > for machine taps you have a few options
                          > > for thru holes or where there is enough head room for the chips you can use a spiral point or gun tap (shoots the chips forward)
                          > >
                          > > in a blind hole you'll want a helical tap that will pull the chip out these come in standard or high helix varieties
                          > > depending on how deep you have to go and how stringy the chips are going to be
                          > >
                          > > or you can use a roll forming tap ,there's no chip so you can use it for either one but you will need to use a larger tap drill then
                          > > you would for a cut thread tap (google 'roll form tap drill' for a chart) unless you are tapping hardened alloys these are probably
                          > > going to be the best bet
                          > >
                          > > the usual straight flute hand taps should only be used for shallow holes in short chipping materials like brass or cast iron
                          > > on steel or aluminum the longer chips will pack in the flutes and snap the tool
                          > >
                          > > Brian
                          > > --
                          > > Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

                        • michael kolchins
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 20, 2012
                            The only advice I'll give is buy American made taps.You will pay double or triple for them and save quadruple over the chinese crap. I bought $80.00 worth of fishing sinkers otherwise known as standard and metric chinese taps and dies.These sinkers work very well, I caught some fish using them last week.
                            mike

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 20, 2012
                              That's funny. I buy exclusively American or branded import -- Japan. But, for these, I'm just experimenting. At 1/3 the price, I can see if they work at all and only lost about 11 bucks.

                              I do have some really crappy Chinese taps and they suck. One set was so bad I complained to the vendor that they were made of frozen butter. They sent me a huge deluxe set from China by airmail -- TiN coating and all. Even those are kinda lame.

                              One thing to note is that if I'm evaluating a new tap style and I think they don't work well, it might be the country of origin and not the design.

                              For the spiral point taps, I went USA. I only ordered Chinese in the Spiral flute since they were so much cheaper and I think spiral point is what I want.

                              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, michael kolchins <kwoodhands@...> wrote:

                              > The only advice I'll give is buy American made taps.You will pay double or triple for them and save quadruple over the chinese crap. I bought $80.00 worth of fishing sinkers otherwise known as standard and metric chinese taps and dies.These sinkers work very well, I caught some fish using them last week.
                              > mike
                              >

                              > >________________________________

                            • Sg t
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 22, 2012
                                spiral point work best for power tapping .

                                Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:20 PM

                                The only advice I'll give is buy American made taps.You will pay double or triple for them and save quadruple over the chinese crap. I bought $80.00 worth of fishing sinkers otherwise known as standard and metric chinese taps and dies.These sinkers work very well, I caught some fish using them last week.
                                mike

                                I ordered the Chinese knock off of the Tapmatic. I'm wondering if using my hand taps with that might just be downright stupid. Seems the "spiral point" taps are what is appropriate for the tapping head.

                                Should I get some spiral point taps or are the hand taps OK?

                                For the spiral point taps if I order those, seems I want plug style with H3 clearance. Any opinions on 2 or 3 flutes?

                              • dave_mucha
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 22, 2012
                                  I would say that using Chinese hand taps is not stupid. everyone should know the joy(pain) of trying to get a broken tap out of a hole on a part you spent 100 hours to make.

                                  Dave

                                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@...> wrote:

                                  > I ordered the Chinese knock off of the Tapmatic. I'm wondering if using my hand taps with that might just be downright stupid. Seems the "spiral point" taps are what is appropriate for the tapping head.
                                  >
                                  > Should I get some spiral point taps or are the hand taps OK?
                                  >
                                  > For the spiral point taps if I order those, seems I want plug style with H3 clearance. Any opinions on 2 or 3 flutes?

                                • Yahoo!© Security Center
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 22, 2012
                                    Dave,
                                    The taps aren't all that bad with the use of good practice.  The 'wings' come off when you purchase the dies- that's where I have had the most problems.

                                    Brian

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 22, 2012
                                      machine powered taping requires a tap that is designed for the use. a spiral point or gun tap has a much thicker web.

                                      hand tapping you can feel how things are progressing and you can back off and lube more often or as needed.

                                      everything else being equal, hand taps will break more often than taps designed for being driven with machine power.

                                      Dave

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 22, 2012
                                        > everyone should know the joy(pain) of trying to get a broken tap out of a hole on a part you spent 100 hours to make.

                                        Sounds like a job for CNC EDM. :)

                                        For the spiral point (gun) taps, I bought only the Hertel HSS flavor since those are the ones I expect to use.

                                        Also, wondering if aluminum is easier or harder to power tap than steel? I know it's softer, but I'm curious if that makes it tougher on the tapping. If that sounds like a really dumb question, I'll take my lumps on that.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 2, 2012
                                          I finally got the taps and fired up the tapping head and thought I'd post back.
                                          Tapping head: Chinese knock off of Tapmatic - #4 - 1/2" with MT2 arbor (arbor was my choice for the drill I have) which cost about $180.00 delivered.
                                          Taps: 3/8" sprial point plug (Hertel Branded) and 3/8 sprial flute (Enco Branded) bottoming.
                                          Both taps were H3 thread tolerance.

                                          Tapped 24 holes in 5/8" ground aluminum plate predrilled at 5/16.I've got a bit of an issue where the MT2 arbor doesn't hold very well in my drill quill so I had to fight that throughout.

                                          The spiral point tap was awesome until it snapped in two so fast I really have no idea WTF happened. But, while it was working (and for those who don't know like me before this)...
                                          The spiral point taps are called "gun taps" because they shoot the spiral chip out the pointed end. That part was amazing. Before it broke, it cut with very little pressure and the threads were good -- perhaps a little bit loose. The spiral flute tap which I thought was going to be an import POS was really not that bad. It required more cutting pressure and it sent it's chip spirals out the top since those taps are designed for blind holes. But, the threads were a lot better. Niether tap really left any swarf or chips in the hole or threads.

                                          All in all, it was worth it. Power tappin beats workin. I still have pain in one arm from a single hole I hand-tapped on the lathe in stainless back in something like February.

                                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@...> wrote:

                                          > I ordered the Chinese knock off of the Tapmatic. I'm wondering if using my hand taps with that might just be downright stupid. Seems the "spiral point" taps are what is appropriate for the tapping head.
                                          >
                                          > Should I get some spiral point taps or are the hand taps OK?
                                          >
                                          > For the spiral point taps if I order those, seems I want plug style with H3 clearance. Any opinions on 2 or 3 flutes?

                                        • Glen
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 2, 2012
                                            If you mentioned where you got the tapping head from I'm sorry for asking as I must have missed it, but where did you get it from?

                                            Thanks,
                                            Glen

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 2, 2012
                                              if you are doing aluminum, wait till you see the holes from thread forming taps.

                                              I like them because they are so solid it is near impossible to break.

                                              Very glad to hear about your success.

                                              Dave

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 2, 2012
                                                I really have been listening on your votes for those. I'll try those next.

                                                Next question...
                                                I bought the tapping head for my old Grizzly MT2 drill press because I knew the mill wouldn't want to push that thing. The head is heavy and I'm having a really tough time seating the MT2 taper in the quill and making it stick in there. Any tips on that? I cleaned and cleaned and I don't want to go smashing the business end of the tapping head with a hammer.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 2, 2012
                                                  most likely the taper has a burr. not uncommon.

                                                  look at the taper of the head, are there any places where it looks like it might have been in contact with something inside ?

                                                  you can take some steel wool or scotch brite and polish the inside.

                                                  you might want to blue the taper, drive it in, then tap it out and see where the contact is. if it is a ring, you have to get that handled.

                                                  do not overlook the tang being too long or too wide, too far back.

                                                  Dave

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 2, 2012
                                                    I'll take a look. "Get that handled" means get a taper reamer or something?

                                                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                                                    > most likely the taper has a burr. not uncommon.
                                                    >
                                                    > look at the taper of the head, are there any places where it looks like it might have been in contact with something inside ?
                                                    >
                                                    > you can take some steel wool or scotch brite and polish the inside.
                                                    >
                                                    > you might want to blue the taper, drive it in, then tap it out and see where the contact is. if it is a ring, you have to get that handled.
                                                    >
                                                    > do not overlook the tang being too long or too wide, too far back.
                                                    >
                                                    > Dave
                                                    >

                                                    > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bbass408" <bbass408@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I really have been listening on your votes for those. I'll try those next.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Next question...
                                                    > > I bought the tapping head for my old Grizzly MT2 drill press because I knew the mill wouldn't want to push that thing. The head is heavy and I'm having a really tough time seating the MT2 taper in the quill and making it stick in there. Any tips on that? I cleaned and cleaned and I don't want to go smashing the business end of the tapping head with a hammer.
                                                    > >

                                                    > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > if you are doing aluminum, wait till you see the holes from thread forming taps.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > I like them because they are so solid it is near impossible to break.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Very glad to hear about your success.
                                                    > > >

                                                    > > > Dave

                                                  • Bill Williams
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 2, 2012
                                                      bbass408 wrote:
                                                      > I really have been listening on your votes for those. I'll try those
                                                      > next.
                                                      >
                                                      > Next question... I bought the tapping head for my old Grizzly MT2
                                                      > drill press because I knew the mill wouldn't want to push that thing.
                                                      > The head is heavy and I'm having a really tough time seating the MT2
                                                      > taper in the quill and making it stick in there. Any tips on that?
                                                      > I cleaned and cleaned and I don't want to go smashing the business
                                                      > end of the tapping head with a hammer.

                                                      Well is the MT #2 socket damaged or ringed? If yes then consider a very
                                                      light cleanup cut with the MT #2 reamer to just take out a fuzz! A good
                                                      reamer cut with oil will leave shavings like heavy grease! Given a good
                                                      looking socket and taper then rub a soft graphite pencil line down the
                                                      taper on several sides, barely seat it in a clean dry socket, and rotate
                                                      it a 1/4 turn. Upon removal the lines should be completely removed. If
                                                      not then suspect the Chinese taper! Bill in Boulder
                                                    • dave_mucha
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 3, 2012
                                                        finish reamer. there are more than one type.

                                                        I bought one years ago and let it ship around to others. someone did not keep the reamer moving and no one owned up to it. if it was around, it would be headed your way.

                                                        My need was an old drill press that had damage in the spindle.

                                                        I found the tang slot area was undersized and I had to drill that out to open it about 1/32.

                                                        so, when looking for possible areas, do not overlook the tang slot, nor the diameter of the relief above the taper.

                                                        Dave

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 3, 2012
                                                          I would test before buying a reamer.

                                                          it is quite possible dirt, rust, a chip, clearance or some other obstruction is present.

                                                          if it is ringed from a slip, then you have to address that. as a note, you could use a dreml and just grind out the ring. drastic but since it is bad, no reason to be nice to it. besides, the amount of surface area left will be over 95%.

                                                          you can blue the male part, slide it in and look for contact points.

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 3, 2012
                                                            I think you got a winner again Dave. Tis the tang me thinks... I only played a bit but I noticed signs of rubbing on the edges of the tang. I filed those a bit and it feels better already.

                                                            The drill press is probably worth less than the cost of a reamer. I'm probably going to want to upgrade it at some point and not sure which way to go on that. Should probably look on craigslist.

                                                            That's so lame that someone borrowed your free tool and kept it.