Re: Homier vs. Micromark Microlux

  • dds6263
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 29, 2003
      There are basically no differences in the mini mills other than the
      type of spindle and the pitch of the lead screw as mentioned. Don't
      think you will get more buying from Micromart other than the fact
      that you will be buying from a good company (not that Homier or
      Grizzly or HF are not). You will get exactly the same product, except
      for the .050" lead screw pitch. Micromart is the only vendor offering
      that option. And don't think that the .050 lead screw is necessarily
      better than the .0625" lead screw the others offer. In fact, IMO
      the .0625 pitch is much easier to work with if you use only standard
      (inch size) drills and mills, and design your parts based on even
      increments of 1/16", because everything will amount to "how many
      revolutions of the hand wheel". And if you intend to add power table
      feed and DRO equipment you ought to consider a more expensive machine
      to begin with. There is no product that delivers the bang for the
      buck like the mini, but IMO the product doesn't justify those
      expensive periphials. I would buy the Homier at a road show for $399,
      or move up to a bigger machine.
    • nowdkyle
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 31, 2003
        Regarding Bridgeport, yes they do make the ultimate hobby mill.
        Wasn't it a Moog (double o) that was the original bridgeport
        conversion. Had some sort of pin control that predated punched
        tape. Yes, I do work in a machine shop as a foreman now but a
        machinist/tool maker for 25 years before that. We usually refer to
        the machines by their brand name or if we have multiples, by the
        I.D. numbers assigned to them. For the sake of identifying these
        machines, the terms used here are probably as good as any.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, ljack70117@a... wrote:
        > What do these people know about what is the name of something. Go
        in to
        > a machine shop and learn the true names of any thing. Then go to
        the
        > distributers and the real builders and see what they call things.
        > have never seen a drill/mill in a machine shop. You have drill
        press
        > for drilling and mills (knee/bed) for milling.
        > With your definition of a drill mill, the X4 is the only one that
        fits
        > it. It has a round column. The other are square with dove tails.
        > Did you know Bridgeport makes a horizontal bed type milling
        machine.
        > They also make a vertical bed milling machine. Ever heard of a
        MOG
        > machine. That is a #2 bridgeport with a large virticle head and
        CNC
        > controls from a company called MOG. Did you know Bridgeport made
        three
        > sizes of mills. With three different interchangeable heads. Two
        or
        > three sizes in tables.
        > Thank you
        > Larry Jackman
        > On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 02:31 PM, dswr@w... wrote:
        >
        > > Go to ...
        > >
        > > http://www.siegind.com/mill-y.htm
        > >
        > > This manufacturer is the one that gives these machines their
        names.

        > > The Micro can be seen by clicking on X1.
        > >
        > > The MINI... X2 and so on.
        > >
        > > If I had known of the X1 before I bought my X2, I would have
        considered
        > > the former.
        > >
        > > Leo (pearland, tx)
        > >
        > > FWIW: I would consider a Bridgeport as a Knee Mill. A mill-drill
        is
        > > made
        > > like a drill press, ie. with a round column, with the head free
        > > rotate about the column. However, the table, unlike most drill
        presses
        > > is fixed to it's base.

        > > ---------------------~-->
        > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or
        Lexmark

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003
          I would basically agree with your definition of
          machinery. Yes, all the mill/drills and drill presses
          I have seen have round columns. I think the definition
          of a knee mill is any milling machine that has a knee
          (Vertically moving table support which runs in
          dovetails).

          As to what people in this group know, I have been
          surprised by that many times. Further, there was no
          mention of a MOG mill on the test I took when I
          graduated from machinist school. I don't think
          knowledge of this niche machine is an indication of
          fluency in machine nomenclature.

          It is continually amazing to me what ridiculous things
          we get our feathers ruffled about.

          Barry Young

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2003
            Righteous Jerry.

            Barry Young

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • ljack70117@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 4, 2003
              The Moog used a punched Tape which was read by air passing through it.
              Some times we would have a brown out and the air compressor could not
              keep full air pressure and the thing would go wild.
              Where are you located?
              Thank you
              Larry Jackman

            • Charles Walklin Sr
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 4, 2003

                Barry Young <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

                Righteous Jerry.

                > The question you jumped on was a comparrison of the
                > Homier and
                > Microlux Minimills, of which you have neither,
                > didn't do much but
                > confuse so0me of us.  Neither Homier or MicroMark
                > sell the mill you
                > ow3n.  And none have a downfeed screw, so your
                > comment about DRO
                > scales was irrelevant.
                >
                > This list is called the GrizzHFminimill.  Although
                > discussions about
                > all kinds of milling machines are certainly welcome,
                > it is ususlly
                > expected that you use the general definations of the
                > group when
                > posting messages.  When someone refers to the
                > Minimill, that's the
                > machine they are refering to.
                >
                > If that offends your sense of terminology, that's
                > too bad.  We
                > understand what we mean.  The mill you own is
                > referred to as the
                > micromill, like it or not.
                >
                > Further, your concern about the Mill/Drill
                > terminology is about 15
                > years outdated.  Any quick perusal of any industrial
                > catalog will show
                > any number of machines carying that designation from
                > the
                > manufacturers, whether you agrtee or not.  They are
                > a new class of
                > machines developed in the last 20 years or so.  They
                > are essentially
                > heavy duty drill presses with a flat bed x-y table
                > that can be used
                > for milling.  In Other words, a hybrid.  So they
                > don't fit your're
                > antiquated definitions.
                >
                > Most people here try to help one another, not show
                > superior knowledge,
                > as you'll surely be exposed.
                >
                > You sound likee you could really be helpful to
                > members of this
                > group.Just don't assume that all are novices.
                >
                > Jerry Fear

                Talking about names of machinery, much depends where your standing at the moment. Many years ago I did some contract work and was building a steel mill (rolling mill)in Colorado. I used a lathe with a 96 inch swing and 40 foot centers, turning rolls that weighed 60 - to 80 tons. So I guess anything smaller than that could be considered as a mini lathe. Not to many years ago I was asked to circle grind something and had no clue what was ment by circle grind. The term I used was to spin it down. It only goes to show where your mind is at the moment of discussion. Oh and by the way the big stuff I turned was running at 1.5 to 1.75 rpm. About 9 hours to make a pass, at a .750 deapth of cut.

                Charlie
                cwalklin1@...

                Do you Yahoo!?