Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Mill height

  • pc
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 10, 2012
      Yes. I mill standing and sitting. Due to the actions required to
      operate, set-up and maintain the mill I found I needed to set the
      machine a little high for sitting and a little low for standing.

      A tip is to check the chair for chips before you sit.

      Cheers,

      Andrew in Melbourne

      On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 20:12 +0000, jsservices2001 wrote:

      > How high do you guys mount your mill on a bench? I find myself bending
      > over all the time and am thinking of a pretty high bench to put the
      > work up where I can see it. Anybody mill sitting down?

    • Harvey White
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 10, 2012
        On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:21:31 -0000, you wrote:

        >There are two questions to consider when positioning a mill:
        >
        >1. Toward which bit of my anatomy are fast-moving lumps of metal most likely to be heading for?

        IIRC, directly towards you if you stand in front of the mill. Depends
        on where your tools encounter that fast moving lump of metal. (could
        be anywhere, thus the angle is any one.

        >2. How fast can I get out of the way?

        Not fast enough.

        Harvey

        >Terry
        >
        >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jsservices2001" <jnschum@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> How high do you guys mount your mill on a bench? I find myself bending over all the time and am thinking of a pretty high bench to put the work up where I can see it. Anybody mill sitting down?

      • dave_mucha
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 10, 2012
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "xoethosox" <terry@...> wrote:

          > There are two questions to consider when positioning a mill:
          >
          > 1. Toward which bit of my anatomy are fast-moving lumps of metal most likely to be heading for?

          The chances of things getting out of hand and you being impacted by debris is inversely proportional to the potential damage that can be caused.

          as far as reaction speed, this is an interesting concept. you will be fully aware of the breakage of the cutter or the loosening and subsequent flying of the part with full perceptions. one thinks at the speed of light.

          you will probably also wince at the pain as the electrical reactions of one's nerves also send signals at the speed of light.

          as for the corresponding output signal to the nerves, the receipt of said signal, the contractions of the muscles.... well, let's just say you will have plenty of time to clean up the blood.

          if you are of stern constitution, I would offer that if you can replay the incident, taking the exact location and being willing to relive the experience when you are calm, you can feel the sharpness of the pain. it will diminish quickly and you will heal significantly faster. kind of like getting back on the horse.

          Dave

        • fmvf@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 10, 2012
            I am not in a wheel chair but I'm vertically challanged a bit to where reading the Z-axis dial is a bit difficult. I just repositioned the line on the Z-axis dial to the side of the machine to where I won't have to tippy-toe to read it. Made it a lot easier to work with for me. A small plate with a line cut into it and mounted on the side is all I did to help me. It may work for you too, simple enough to do.

            Frank MvF

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Lowell <lowjohn.lowell@...> wrote:

            > I am in a wheel so I mill sitting down. Two main problems
            > 1) your face / eyes are at the same level as the cutting action. I have
            > had no wrecks..........but
            > 2) Impossible to read the z axis dial and to reach a lot of stuff, but
            > if I could stand some like the z knob might not be a problem. Just my 2
            > cents.
            > LJ
            >
            > On 6/10/2012 2:12 PM, jsservices2001 wrote:
            > >
            > > How high do you guys mount your mill on a bench? I find myself bending
            > > over all the time and am thinking of a pretty high bench to put the
            > > work up where I can see it. Anybody mill sitting down?

          • Jim Good
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 10, 2012
              A switch in the cord would probably work best. But I think I might just mount this one sideways. It will put the switch on the side of the z axis coarse feed handle, which isn't ideal. The light switch won't stick out far enough to really get in the way, but that also puts the cord on that side of the mill. Also less than ideal.

              Jim

              On Jun 10, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Brian Pitt wrote:

              > On Sunday 10 June 2012 14:51:48 Jim Good wrote:
              > > I bought one of these spindle lights from Little Machine Shop: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3015&category=
              > > Anyone else mounted one of these that has the switch on top?
              > > Jim
              >
              > I used a different one that had an in line cord switch ,you can get the switches at the home center for a couple bucks
              > or you could wire the light into the mains terminals in the control box
              >
              > Brian
              > --
              > Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

            • Brian Pitt
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 10, 2012

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 10, 2012
                  Frank,

                  I use a w/chair and have the same problem. Even if I get onto my feet to
                  read I am not stable or safe. A DRO is the answer but my budget says
                  otherwise, for now.

                  Cheers,

                  Andrew

                  On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 00:25 +0000, fmvf@... wrote:

                  > I am not in a wheel chair but I'm vertically challanged a bit to where
                  > reading the Z-axis dial is a bit difficult. I just repositioned the
                  > line on the Z-axis dial to the side of the machine to where I won't
                  > have to tippy-toe to read it. Made it a lot easier to work with for
                  > me. A small plate with a line cut into it and mounted on the side is
                  > all I did to help me. It may work for you too, simple enough to do.
                  >
                  > Frank MvF
                  >
                  > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Lowell <lowjohn.lowell@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am in a wheel so I mill sitting down. Two main problems
                  > > 1) your face / eyes are at the same level as the cutting action. I
                  > have
                  > > had no wrecks..........but
                  > > 2) Impossible to read the z axis dial and to reach a lot of stuff,
                  > but
                  > > if I could stand some like the z knob might not be a problem. Just
                  > my 2
                  > > cents.
                  > > LJ
                  > >
                  > > On 6/10/2012 2:12 PM, jsservices2001 wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > How high do you guys mount your mill on a bench? I find myself
                  > bending
                  > > > over all the time and am thinking of a pretty high bench to put
                  > the
                  > > > work up where I can see it. Anybody mill sitting down?

                • John Herrmann
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 11, 2012
                    "jsservices2001":

                    > How high do you guys mount your mill on a bench? I find myself bending over all the time and am thinking of a pretty high bench to put the work up where I can see it. Anybody mill sitting down?

                    I mounted my HF 44991 on top of a Shop Fox (Grizzly) stand (somewhat similar to the G8986, but came with a 1 1/2" particle board top), with an oil drip pan between the table top and the mill. The tabletop is ~26" above the floor.

                    I mill sitting down, use a cheap 3-axis DRO, and a retro-fitted piece of heavy vinyl in place of the original shield (less likely to interfere with table movement, but stout enough to at least slow down a chunk of broken tool). I also added a shelf on the middle braces of the stand, to hold the collet set and other frequently used tooling.

                    Photos and description of work lights at:
                    <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gIbWT6A6buV0VK-f26OnxxqE8SmwPTBicPaI_0HHNy5cHgcUzrZzyI1QwbwtiQC8LrxkSzg4XLMe45nWqdhnxs-dNCjxuw/LightUpYourMill_2.pdf>

                    Milling while sitting down is very comfortable, though I wouldn't want to do it with a larger mill.

                    - John Herrmann
                  • Yahoo!© Security Center
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 11, 2012
                      For what its worth, my HF 8x12 lathe is on my 37" bench and I like it at that level.  I just acquired the MicroMark MicroLux Mill which I intended to install on the other end of the bench, but felt that it would be too low at that level. I glued two 5/4ths pieces of pine together which effectively raised the level to 39", and mounted the mill on that platform. I haven't had an opportunity to use it just yet, but I expect that will be satisfactory for my needs.

                      Brian

                      > How high do you guys mount your mill on a bench? I find myself bending over all the time and am thinking of a pretty high bench to put the work up where I can see it. Anybody mill sitting down?

                      I mounted my HF 44991 on top of a Shop Fox (Grizzly) stand (somewhat similar to the G8986, but came with a 1 1/2" particle board top), with an oil drip pan between the table top and the mill. The tabletop is ~26" above the floor.

                      I mill sitting down, use a cheap 3-axis DRO, and a retro-fitted piece of heavy vinyl in place of the original shield (less likely to interfere with table movement, but stout enough to at least slow down a chunk of broken tool). I also added a shelf on the middle braces of the stand, to hold the collet set and other frequently used tooling.

                      Photos and description of work lights at:
                      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gIbWT6A6buV0VK-f26OnxxqE8SmwPTBicPaI_0HHNy5cHgcUzrZzyI1QwbwtiQC8LrxkSzg4XLMe45nWqdhnxs-dNCjxuw/LightUpYourMill_2.pdf>

                      Milling while sitting down is very comfortable, though I wouldn't want to do it with a larger mill.

                      - John Herrmann

                    • Tony Smith
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 12, 2012
                        > How high do you guys mount your mill on a bench? I find myself bending
                        over
                        > all the time and am thinking of a pretty high bench to put the work up
                        where I
                        > can see it. Anybody mill sitting down?

                        The rule-of-thumb is the work goes at elbow height, so in the case of a mill
                        that's the handles. That applies whether standing up or sitting down.

                        Most benches are about 900mm (3') high, that suits the average height, you
                        must be a bit taller than that. Check the distance between your elbows and
                        the mill handles, that's how high your mill needs to be raised.

                        Some people sit down, some don't like a lap full of shavings. Some get
                        those jeweller style aprons to avoid the lap full of shavings. Those foam
                        rubber mats work well for standing.

                        Tony
                      • paul_in_pittsfield
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 12, 2012
                          See "Spindle Light.PDF" in the "Paul in Pittsfield's Mill Mods" folder in the group's FILES section. My lamp has the switch on the top. I mounted it so that the switch is at about 10:30 (viewed from above) and ends up behind the mill's control box.

                          Anyone who wants more photos, drop me a line.

                          Paul in Pittsfield

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jim Good <jagness@...> wrote:

                          > I bought one of these spindle lights from Little Machine Shop: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3015&category=
                          >
                          > But if you notice, in that picture the switch is on the side. On the one they sent me, the switch is on the top. Unfortunately, that makes it impossible to mount the way he describes. And however you mount, it has to be low enough so you can slide your finger between the light and the mill in order to turn it on. Does that make sense?
                          >
                          > Anyone else mounted one of these that has the switch on top?
                          >
                          > Jim
                        • Nelson T.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 13, 2012
                            That's a really nice stand Gary, and it doesn't look too hard to build. Thanks for sharing it.

                            Nelson

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                              Just posting to say thanks to Paul in Pittsfield. I mounted my spindle light in a slightly different way, but his pdf file is what really got my brain to working. Mine ended up with the switch right in front of the control box. The improved lighting is great for my aging eyes!

                              Jim

                            • pattrimble@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 3, 2015

                                Mini-mill lamp adapter for my Cummins 7877 mini-mill

                                Parts:

                                2”x1-1/2” ABS Flush Bushing from Home Depot for $1.29 + tax

                                ABS Bearing cover, part #1285 from LMS for $4.75 + shipping + tax

                                You could use your existing bearing cover, I didn't want to do that.

                                144 LED Bulb Microscope Ring Light Illuminator Adjustable Bright Lamp + Adapter from eBay for $24.75 – free shipping, no tax

                                Scrap piece of 1 ½” PVC pipe

                                Process:

                                Sand the bearing cover surface to remove the layer of paint and primer and expose the ABS surface.

                                Dry fit the flush bushing, bearing cover and PVC pipe. The pipe aligns the flush bushing and bearing cover.

                                Apply ABS cement to the wide surface of the flush bushing and the area it will contact on the bearing cover.

                                Lightly wipe Vaseline on the surface of the PVC pipe where it might be contacted by the ABS cement.

                                Insert the PVC pipe into the flush bushing and slide the bearing cover over the pipe to make contact with the flush bushing. Twist the flush bushing and bearing cover to insure full contact of the cement. Remove the pipe soon after mating the flush bushing and the bearing cover. Remove excess cement with a knife after a few minutes. Set aside for an hour.

                                Using a 3/8” end mill with your mini-mill, remove the portion of the flush bushing that interferes with the screw holes in the bearing cover. Don’t go too deep. Remove material from the flush bushing, not the bearing cover.

                                Using a Dremel with a 3/4” sanding barrel, remove the flush bushing material that interferes with the 1/3 circle cutout on the bearing cover.

                                Mount the thing on your mini-mill, attach the lamp, attach the cable in a safe manner and enjoy!

                                I'd share photos if I knew how to do that.

                                Best regards,

                                Pat

                              • a rien
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 4, 2015
                                  Sounds nice. I put an Ebay led umbrella light on my HF mini mill, but your installation sounds even better.
                                  Do you have a link to the Ebay light? It would be great if you could post some pic's.
                                  Anthony

                                  Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Mill Light
                                  To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 7:59 PM

[...]

                                  safe manner and enjoy!
                                  I'd share photos
                                  if I knew how to do that.
                                  Best
                                  regards,Pat
                                • Pat Trimble

                                  Date: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 7:59 PM

[...]

                                  Here's some photos of the mini-mill light mount I made, I hope they get posted to the Yahoo group.

                                  Beat regards,
                                  Pat

                                • cannontandem
                                  Message 17 of 27 , Dec 5, 2015
                                    I think this is the light he is talking about

                                    My question is, does the power supply plug work in the USA?
                                  • Pat Trimble
                                    Message 18 of 27 , Dec 5, 2015
                                      Yes, that's the light I used and the power supply works in California, USA
                                      Pat

                                      Message 19 of 27 , Dec 5, 2015
                                        Now there's an interesting thought. I powered my led umbrella light with a disassembled wall wart stuffed into the oem HF switch box as it was intended to be run with AA batt's.

                                        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                                        Date: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 7:23 AM

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967 --

                                        #yiv7959185967 .yiv7959185967ygrp-photo-title{
                                        clear:both;font-size:smaller;height:15px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;width:75px;}
                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967ygrp-photo{
                                        background-position:center;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-color:white;border:1px
                                        solid black;height:62px;width:62px;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967photo-title
                                        a,
                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967photo-title a:active,
                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967photo-title a:hover,
                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967photo-title a:visited {
                                        text-decoration:none;
                                        }

                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967attach-table
                                        div.yiv7959185967attach-row {
                                        clear:both;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967attach-table
                                        div.yiv7959185967attach-row div {
                                        float:left;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 p {
                                        clear:both;padding:15px 0 3px 0;overflow:hidden;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967ygrp-file {
                                        width:30px;}
                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967attach-table
                                        div.yiv7959185967attach-row div div a {
                                        text-decoration:none;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967attach-table
                                        div.yiv7959185967attach-row div div span {
                                        font-weight:normal;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 div.yiv7959185967ygrp-file-title {
                                        font-weight:bold;}
                                        #yiv7959185967
                                        #yiv7959185967

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967 --
                                        #yiv7959185967ygrp-mkp {
                                        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
                                        0;padding:0 10px;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967ygrp-mkp hr {
                                        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967ygrp-mkp #yiv7959185967hd {
                                        color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
                                        0;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967ygrp-mkp #yiv7959185967ads {
                                        margin-bottom:10px;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967ygrp-mkp .yiv7959185967ad {
                                        padding:0 0;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967ygrp-mkp .yiv7959185967ad p {
                                        margin:0;}

                                        #yiv7959185967 #yiv7959185967ygrp-mkp .yiv7959185967ad a {
                                        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                                        #yiv7959185967

                                        I think this is the light he is talking about
                                        144
                                        LED Bulb Microscope Ring Light Illuminator Adjustable Bright
                                        Lamp + Adapter

                                        144
                                        LED Bulb Microscope Ring Light Illuminator Adjus...
                                        US $24.75 New in Business &
                                        Industrial, Healthcare, Lab & Life Science, Lab
                                        Equipment

                                        View on www.ebay.com

                                        Preview by Yahoo
                                        Message 20 of 27 , Dec 5, 2015
                                        I forgot to mention that the 1 1/2" PVC pipe is schedule 40. That gives you the proper sized alignment tool for the flush bushing and bearing cover.

                                        Here's some photos of the light mounted on the adapter.

                                        Pat

                                        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 21 of 27 , Dec 7, 2015
                                          I don't think it makes any difference about the pipe schedule, the outside diameter is the same.You should be able to use steel pipe also but the tolerances aren't as close. Paul M