X and y axis feed screw length

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
      Hey guy, looking for the length of the feed screws on my x2 mill. I don't want to take it apart to measure if I don't have to, so does anyone know the length of these? I'm looking into putting all screws in it and don't care to pay the extremely high prices that are being charged by the conversion kit people. It looks like I can get the screws and ballnuts for about 150$-180$ with bearings. Then it's just a matter of making the mounts. I already have stepper motors and drivers, paid about 80$ for all three. So for 260-300$ I plan on having three axis controll instead of the 500$+ that the vendors want.
      Dennis

      What the wife don't know can hurt me!
    • dave_mucha
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
        sorry I cannot answer your question, but when i bought straight ball screws, I wound up going through a few carbide bits on the lathe before getting the ends to size.

        the cost of the end machining is the high price for the screws.

        cutting the interrupted cuts was a pita.
        I wound up heating them with a torch, then letting them cool to eliminate the hardness.

        just wanted to offer my experience.

        Dave

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Dennis <huckfinn1963@...> wrote:

        > Hey guy, looking for the length of the feed screws on my x2 mill. I don't want to take it apart to measure if I don't have to, so does anyone know the length of these? I'm looking into putting all screws in it and don't care to pay the extremely high prices that are being charged by the conversion kit people. It looks like I can get the screws and ballnuts for about 150$-180$ with bearings. Then it's just a matter of making the mounts. I already have stepper motors and drivers, paid about 80$ for all three. So for 260-300$ I plan on having three axis controll instead of the 500$+ that the vendors want.
        > Dennis
        >

        > What the wife don't know can hurt me!

      • Frank Ramsden
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012

          I measure mine at 9" and 13 1/4" to the threaded portion of the x axis(?) I always get them confused don't know why. The power feed extension is another 3" if that matters.

          On Jun 2, 2012, at 1:51 AM, Dennis <huckfinn1963@...> wrote:

          Hey guy, looking for the length of the feed screws on my x2 mill. I don't want to take it apart to measure if I don't have to, so does anyone know the length of these? I'm looking into putting all screws in it and don't care to pay the extremely high prices that are being charged by the conversion kit people. It looks like I can get the screws and ballnuts for about 150$-180$ with bearings. Then it's just a matter of making the mounts. I already have stepper motors and drivers, paid about 80$ for all three. So for 260-300$ I plan on having three axis controll instead of the 500$+ that the vendors want.
          Dennis

          What the wife don't know can hurt me!

          =
        • Frank Ramsden