Re: x-y table rotary table for minimill

  • fly_sailor
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2012
      OK, I'm replying to this after I posted the reply about the Proxxon table. The issue is this. I'm building a G gauge live steam locomotive. I am machining the detail on the side frames which have some cast curved flanges a bit like an I-beam that was run through a roller. I could simply locate the centers of these four curves and mill the radii inside and out leaving the flange. But that requires four separate set ups per side rail which I was simply trying to avoid.

      So one afternoon, I was mulling this over and realized that an X-Y table on the rotary table would simply let me locate things once and then simply move the piece until the center of one of these curves aligned with the rotary table center. Then I move the lower table to establish the radius and mill away by rotating the table through ninety degrees for two flanges and sixty degrees for the other two.

      However, writing this has made me think. All I need to do is make a plate that has a center pin to pick up the center of the table along with a center point so I can locate the center when the plate is mounted on the table. If I machine the bearing holes first, then I can simply locate the piece using dowel pins on the plate for each of the four centers and the X-Y table is no longer needed.

      Thank you very much for making me think this through.

      Charlie