Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Check Your Gibbs

Expand Messages
  • w_r_miller2001
    Contact Rick @ REX Machine. Phone is: 818.897.4640 Bill M. ... more
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 22, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      Contact Rick @ REX Machine. Phone is: 818.897.4640

      Bill M.


      --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "Clifford A. Costa" <csquared@i...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am lazy and would like to buy the brass gibbs. Can you supply
      more
      > information.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Cliff
    • w_r_miller2001
      Hey Rick, No, I don t assume anything. I checked the angles on the lathe compound once and I believe they are 60 degrees. I will check again before any
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 22, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        Hey Rick,

        No, I don't assume anything. I checked the angles on the lathe
        compound once and I 'believe' they are 60 degrees. I will check
        again before any cutting is done as I need to measure/verify the
        angles for the compound and the crossslide.

        I do have Guy's books, don't have an adjustable parallel, and likely
        won't have one for a while. I will have to figure out some other
        way. Now if I had just bought that two-way vise instead... ;)

        Bill M.


        --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., Rick Kruger <krugerr@e...> wrote:
        > First, make sure they are 60 degrees, don't assume. I think on my
        Grizzly,
        > its 55 degrees. Did you say somewhere else you have Guy Lautard's
        Bedside
        > Reader series on order? In one of them he shows how to use an
        inverted
        > dovetail slide as the vise to hold an unmachined gib strip for
        > machining. Doing this, it doesn't matter what the angle is
        because you are
        > duplicating it perfectly. Of course, you can't do this with the
        mill
        > because its torn apart.
        >
        > I made a holding jig for making brass gibs for my minilathe, same
        could be
        > done for your situation. Lautard's trick uses and adjustable
        parallel
        > inside the dovetail to grip/clamp the gib strip. This is what I
        used and
        > it worked well. I could provide photos if interested.
        >
        > Rick K.
        > Portland, OR
        >
      • Barry Young
        Hi Bill: Ummm, could be that this would be a good test of your filing abilities. I built a screwcutting engine lathe from scratch following L.C. Masons book
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 22, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Bill:

          Ummm, could be that this would be a good test of your
          filing abilities. I built a screwcutting engine lathe
          from scratch following L.C. Masons book and hand
          filing the gibs was a good exercise.

          Barry Young


          --- w_r_miller2001 <wmiller45@...> wrote:
          > Didn't have the right sized brass strips, and I'm
          > mentally wrestling
          > with how to do the 60 degree sides. Would be easy if
          > I had a tilting
          > vise. I'll figure out some kludgey way to do it, as
          > I want to
          > replace the steel gibbs in my mini-lathe.
          >
          > Bill M.


          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Send your FREE holiday greetings online!
          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Barry Young
          Cripes! An honest machinist!!!!! Barry Young ... __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send your FREE holiday greetings online!
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 22, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            Cripes! An honest machinist!!!!!

            Barry Young


            --- "Clifford A. Costa" <csquared@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I am lazy and would like to buy the brass gibbs.
            > Can you supply more
            > information.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Cliff


            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Send your FREE holiday greetings online!
            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • w_r_miller2001
            ... Thought of that. I ve had the filing test, thank you, courtesy of my pistolsmith friend. However, it never hurts to exercise. :) Now where s that drawfile?
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 24, 2001
            • 0 Attachment
              > Hi Bill:
              >
              > Ummm, could be that this would be a good test of your
              > filing abilities. I built a screwcutting engine lathe
              > from scratch following L.C. Masons book and hand
              > filing the gibs was a good exercise.
              >
              > Barry Young

              Thought of that. I've had the filing test, thank you, courtesy of my
              pistolsmith friend. However, it never hurts to exercise. :)

              Now where's that drawfile?

              Bill M.
            • Barry Young
              That s the spirit! ... __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send your FREE holiday greetings online! http://greetings.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 26, 2001
              • 0 Attachment
                That's the spirit!


                --- w_r_miller2001 <wmiller45@...> wrote:
                > > Hi Bill:
                > >
                > > Ummm, could be that this would be a good test of
                > your
                > > filing abilities. I built a screwcutting engine
                > lathe
                > > from scratch following L.C. Masons book and hand
                > > filing the gibs was a good exercise.
                > >
                > > Barry Young
                >
                > Thought of that. I've had the filing test, thank
                > you, courtesy of my
                > pistolsmith friend. However, it never hurts to
                > exercise. :)
                >
                > Now where's that drawfile?
                >
                > Bill M.
                >
                >


                __________________________________________________
                Do You Yahoo!?
                Send your FREE holiday greetings online!
                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.