G0727 Mini Horizontal/Vertical Mill

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
      Does anyone own one of these G0727 Mini Horizontal/Vertical Mill? I would like to know Opinions of this mill.
      -Jim
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
        Does anyone have a G0727 Mini Horizontal/Vertical Mill? I have been looking at this mill on http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Horizontal-Vertical-Mill/G0727 and would like to email with anyone that has used one.
      • Gordon
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
          No but you might look on craigslist/seattle to find one. Good Luck

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" wrote:

          > Does anyone have a G0727 Mini Horizontal/Vertical Mill? I have been looking at this mill on http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Horizontal-Vertical-Mill/G0727 and would like to email with anyone that has used one.

        • Bill Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2013
            I have seen and used this arrangement on mills before! Worked well but
            I have never had the experience of moving the motor/drive from the
            column to the end of the ram! Hope that it doesn't weight too much!
            Grizzly usually stocks pretty good machinery and if they sell it then it
            probably has merit!

            Bill in Boulder; a satisfied Grizzly customer since 1988!
          • wjhaasman
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Bill Williams <BWMSBLDR@...> wrote:

              > I have seen and used this arrangement on mills before! Worked well but
              > I have never had the experience of moving the motor/drive from the
              > column to the end of the ram! Hope that it doesn't weight too much!
              > Grizzly usually stocks pretty good machinery and if they sell it then it
              > probably has merit!
              >
              > Bill in Boulder; a satisfied Grizzly customer since 1988!

              Grizzly does make good machinery but the G0727 has one drawback I didnt like; there is no quill so you cant drill a hole except to raise the table(knee). Dunno just my observation
            • Bill Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
                wjhaasman wrote:

                > Grizzly does make good machinery but the G0727 has one drawback I
                > didnt like; there is no quill so you cant drill a hole except to
                > raise the table(knee). Dunno just my observation

                Good catch there, I missed it! I bought my G-1004 on exactly that
                criteria. You bring the knee up till the drill is just touching
                the work with the quill feed at the stop, release the quill upward, put
                on the depth of hole needed with the knee feed, then drill down to the
                stop. Simplex! Bill in Boulder
              • david lucas
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
                  Great value for the money! I had an Atlas horizontal that I paid a fortune for - dumped it and bought this. Much better than the Atlas plus many more accessories available via Grizzly. More versatile than an other mill I have owned! I'm surprised they are not flying out the door! Will accept up to 1" cutters if you buy the accessory spindle for $18. Well made! I considered buying two of them because I feel the price will be going up due to demand.

                  I bought a Grizzly South Bend lathe SB1001 and got $1K off price from Grizzly. Built like a swiss clock compared to most lathes on the market.

                  I'll never go back to buying vintage tools - too many good items on the market today plus - BRAND NEW!!! No missing or broken parts!

                  Regards,
                  Dave Lucas

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <handy4563@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone own one of these G0727 Mini Horizontal/Vertical Mill? I would like to know Opinions of this mill.
                  > -Jim

                • Bill Williams
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
                    david lucas wrote:
                    > Great value for the money! I had an Atlas horizontal that I paid a
                    > fortune for - dumped it and bought this. Much better than the Atlas
                    > plus many more accessories available via Grizzly.

                    While I have been really happy with the versatility of my 12 X 36 Atlas
                    lathe I was never impressed with their horizontal mill. They were always
                    overpriced too, IMHO! OTOH I came into possession of a Clausing
                    horizontal mill and have been impressed with it thus far! I have yet to
                    get it into the shop and set up though; room is always an issue!

                    > I'll never go back to buying vintage tools - too many good items on
                    > the market today plus - BRAND NEW!!! No missing or broken parts!

                    Somewhat true; but then the Atlas was bought new, in 1967!

                    Bill in Boulder