Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Is anybody having troubles viewing certain files?

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
      It has to be something in your computer guys. Too many people can see them just fine. It is not a problem with the files. I am responsible for the files not your computers.

      Thank you

      Barry Young

      From: Jerry <Jerry-Pac-Man@...>
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 9:21 AM

      Barry, I could view the files last week.  This week I cannot view files in the 4 Yahoo groups I am a member of.

      Jerry P

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
          GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Bill Williams
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
        Barry Young wrote:

        > I do not know why. Perhaps yuou can contact yahoo?
        >
        > Barry

        Is that Yayhoo in the Swiftian sense? Bill
      • John Wylie Jr
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
          You can clearing your internet explorer ( or other web browser ) cache , as well as your windows Temp Directory.

          I clear my temp dir every day.

           ** John T Wylie Jr ~ Henderson , NV **

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
            Google Chrome doesn't like accessing many of the file in the Files section -- at least not the PDFs. On the Mac, Safari worked fine. IE on Windows, and Mozilla on Ubuntu Linux all work fine. If those don't work for you then the earlier advice to clear out all history and caches should help.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Wylie Jr <the45guy@...> wrote:

            > You can clearing your internet explorer ( or other web browser ) cache , as well as your windows Temp Directory.
            >
            > http://www.pcterritory.net/2010/02/where-are-windows-7-temporary-files.html
            >
            > http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/ht/manualtempxp.htm
            >
            > I clear my temp dir every day.
            >

            >  ** John T Wylie Jr ~ Henderson , NV **
            >

            > >________________________________

          • Rexarino
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
              Bill and others, I was able to open 22 of 25 pdf files in the base "Files" directory in Chrome, three would not open and the "Save as" dialogue popped up.  Is that close to your experience?  I'm kinda curious if some versions of Chrome behave differently than others?  I don't have any extensions for Chrome.

              I've long wondered why some pdf files open and others are "Save as".  Anyone have an explanation for me?

              Rex

              On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM, bbass408 <bbass408@...> wrote:
              Google Chrome doesn't like accessing many of the file in the Files section -- at least not the PDFs.  On the Mac, Safari worked fine.  IE on Windows, and Mozilla on Ubuntu Linux all work fine.  If those don't work for you then the earlier advice to clear out all history and caches should help.

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Wylie Jr <the45guy@...> wrote:

              > You can clearing your internet explorer ( or other web browser ) cache , as well as your windows Temp Directory.
              >
              > http://www.pcterritory.net/2010/02/where-are-windows-7-temporary-files.html
              >
              > http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/ht/manualtempxp.htm
              >
              > I clear my temp dir every day.
              >

              >  ** John T Wylie Jr ~ Henderson , NV **
              >

              > >________________________________

            • Robert Francis
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
                It's a Yahoo thing!
              • John
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
                  Well all I can say is,
                              Your Yahoo is different to mine as I have no difficulty reading any of the files  on this or any other forum I am a member of.
                                                  John.
                • Randy Smith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
                    Can you post the three file names that don't open?
                    What version of Chrome are you using?
                    What Platform? Windows, Mac, *NIX?

                    The problem is likely that YAHOO and your browser are confused about the
                    mime/type of the file. "File corrupt" errors are caused by the transfer
                    using text mime type for PDF files. It converts the end-of-line
                    characters for the target machine and this corrupts the file. PDF
                    files should be sent as binary. The error is very much dependent on the
                    browser & version you are using and how YAHOO defines the file during
                    transmission.

                    The reason you get the "save dialog" instead of the file opening is that
                    your browser doesn't know how to handle the file (It doesn't have a
                    matching mime type).

                    Later.... Randy S
                    Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
                      These files from the group's "File" area will not open on Win 7 or Win XP, but instead bring up a "Save As" dialog box.

                      Level Gage Test Post.pdf
                      Sharpening Drills.pdf
                      Tramming Tool (Mini-Mill).pdf

                      Google Chrome 17.0.963.56 m on both machines

                      Under Options/Plug-ins:

                      Chrome pdf viewer
                      Enabled,

                      Adobe Acrobat Version: 10.1.2.45 (Disabled)
                      Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
                      Disabled

                      I changed the pdf viewer, IOW, I enabled Adobe Acrobat, which disabled Chrome pdf viewer, closed and reopened the browser, verified that the new settings took affect (looked at Options/Plug-ins) and the result is the same - those three files bring up the save as dialog.

                      All three files open in MS's Internet Explorer, ver 9.0.8112.16421  on the Win 7 machine, so the problem is likely within Chrome and it's definition of a pdf file

                      Thanks Randy, you made me dig a bit deeper when I understood the likely problem.

                      Rex

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
                        It's a Yahoo thing, just save the file then open it.