Re: I got a large table assembly from LMS.

  • dave_mucha
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi Yuriy,

      great blog, nice write-up.

      the one question I have is about any increased work envelope. how much is added to the Y axis ? it seems that if a part were touching the column, it would not make any difference which table were used as the spindle distance did not change.

      Dave

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Yuriy K" <ycroosh@...> wrote:

      > Good part of the day.Last week I decided to bite the bullet and went for
      > the "large table assembly" from LMS. Today the UPS truck dropped it off
      > at my front door. I haven't finished the installation yet, but overall,
      > I'm happy as a clam. I haven't had too many issues with the X travel,
      > but 4" cross travel was getting on my nerves (I machine a lot of 100mm
      > wide robot chassis for mini-sumo robots and 4" means that I need to
      > reposition the work piece multiple times..).I have one question, though:
      > there is a T-slot on the side ( can be seen here)
      > <http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q-QaEGP3qy0/Tyioaik3IkI/AAAAAAAAAC8/4II2j6acN\
      > mI/s1600/table+tops+2.png> Does anyone have any idea what it was meant
      > for?
      > Thank youYuriy
      > P.S. BTW: I posted a short "review" with pictures on my blog
      > <http://www.yuriystoys.com/2012/01/large-table-assembly-for-x2-mini-mill\
      > .html> if anyone is interested. I will post more pictures once the
      > table is installed.

    • dave_mucha
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
        my beef with the table design is that there is no easy way to lube the ways.

        have you though about putting in oil channels and oil cups ?

        it seems that if one were to drill tiny holes and put oil cups on them, that it would be very easy to lube the ways on all 4 locations.

        I have thought about this but have not come up with a workable and accessible method.

        I hate the squirt oil towards that gap and hope some seeps in method of oiling the ways.

        It seems that with a 'spare' table, there is room for experimentation !

        Dave
      • dave_mucha
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
          Anyone have a CAD drawing of the table base ?

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

          > my beef with the table design is that there is no easy way to lube the ways.
          >
          > have you though about putting in oil channels and oil cups ?
          >
          > it seems that if one were to drill tiny holes and put oil cups on them, that it would be very easy to lube the ways on all 4 locations.
          >
          > I have thought about this but have not come up with a workable and accessible method.
          >
          > I hate the squirt oil towards that gap and hope some seeps in method of oiling the ways.
          >
          > It seems that with a 'spare' table, there is room for experimentation !
          >
          > Dave

        • Yuriy K
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
            Dave,
            I haven't gotten that far yet (haven't mounted the column yet. I was wondering about that myself, but in the worst case scenario, since the head is a twp-piece assembly, I can make a 1" spacer out of "accu-plate" aluminum.

            Regards
            Yuriy

            P.S. Thank you for the feedbakc on the forum and the suggestion

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

            > Hi Yuriy,
            >
            > great blog, nice write-up.
            >
            > the one question I have is about any increased work envelope. how much is added to the Y axis ? it seems that if a part were touching the column, it would not make any difference which table were used as the spindle distance did not change.
            >
            > Dave
            >

            > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Yuriy K" <ycroosh@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Good part of the day.Last week I decided to bite the bullet and went for
            > > the "large table assembly" from LMS. Today the UPS truck dropped it off
            > > at my front door. I haven't finished the installation yet, but overall,
            > > I'm happy as a clam. I haven't had too many issues with the X travel,
            > > but 4" cross travel was getting on my nerves (I machine a lot of 100mm
            > > wide robot chassis for mini-sumo robots and 4" means that I need to
            > > reposition the work piece multiple times..).I have one question, though:
            > > there is a T-slot on the side ( can be seen here)
            > > <http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q-QaEGP3qy0/Tyioaik3IkI/AAAAAAAAAC8/4II2j6acN\
            > > mI/s1600/table+tops+2.png> Does anyone have any idea what it was meant
            > > for?
            > > Thank youYuriy
            > > P.S. BTW: I posted a short "review" with pictures on my blog
            > > <http://www.yuriystoys.com/2012/01/large-table-assembly-for-x2-mini-mill\
            > > .html> if anyone is interested. I will post more pictures once the
            > > table is installed.

          • michael kolchins
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
              I imagine the tee slot is for a limit stop.
              mike

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2012
                Dave,
                I got the table on the machine and it looks like the head definitely needs to move forward a bit. I can use it as is with a tooling plate or a vise offset to the back of the table, but 1" "accu-plate" between the two head castings should do the trick.

                I installed the air spring and the table at the same time. Those two upgrades definitely extend the capabilities of the mill, but the $400 price tag makes it a dubious value, unless you already have a mini mill. Otherwise, the X3 isn't too far, as far as the price is concerned.

                Regards
                Yuriy