Re: [GrizHFMinimill] DRO for chinese scales

  • ljack70117@adelphia.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
      Did I miss something????
      I am interested in DRO for a mini-mill
      Thank you
      Larry Jackman

      On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 11:27 PM, proscalebrass@... wrote:

      > My hats off to you Bruno.   If it works out; sell them.
      >
      > John A

      <image.tiff>

    • klauszietlow
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
        Hi Bruno,
        have you seen my DRO-2 design?

        http://www.zietlowdesign.com/products/dro2/dro2_info.htm

        It has all the features you have implemented (and a few more)...
        Klaus

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bschwand" <bschwand@y...>
        wrote:
        > woohoo !
        >
        > I finally finished writing the microcontroller software for my
        digital
        > read out display. I never thought I would end up writing almost 2000
        > lines of code for this !
        >
        > Here are the current features:
        >
        > - small unit ( 2.5" x 5" )
        > - microcontroller based
        > - two 6 digit LED displays
        > - 2 SPC (chinese scales/caliper protocol) inputs
        > - 1 tachometer sensor input
        > - inch/mm toggle button
        > - zero buttons for each axis
        > - tachometer/scale input toggle button for upper display
        > - mm mode displays to 1/100th of mm
        > - inch mode displays to 1/2 of 1/1000 th inch
        > - both scales and tachometer can be connected at all time
        > - tachometer from 60rpm to ~ 15000rpm
        >
        > I basically looked at what was available and found nothing that I
        > liked. I hate those LCD displays. I want an integrated tachometer.
        >
        > It is all bread-protoboarded now, so I am off to order the printed
        > circuit boards... and hope it works with everything hooked-up.
        >
        > I'll post pictures once I have it assembled.
        >
        > bruno
      • jjfear
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 24, 2003
          If you log on to the site and look through the FILES and PHOTOS
          sections, you will find a lot of information on DRO's that heve been
          installed on minimills. Littlemachineshop sells a ready made one.

          HTH
          Jerry F.

        • ljack70117@adelphia.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 24, 2003
            I had a set of the ones that come out of Canada. These are the ones
            that Little Machine Shop sells and I returned them as they were to big
            to mount on my mini-mill.
            Thank you
            Larry Jackman
            On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 06:07 PM, jjfear wrote:

            > If you log on to the site and look through the FILES and PHOTOS
            > sections, you will find a lot of information on DRO's that heve been
            > installed on minimills. Littlemachineshop sells a ready made one.
            >
            > HTH
            > Jerry F.
            >

            > -- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, ljack70117@a... wrote:
            >> Did I miss something????
            >> I am interested in DRO for a mini-mill
            >> Thank you
            >> Larry Jackman

          • bschwand
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 24, 2003
              maybe I'll make a kit, I don't know. Seems the market is not really
              big :-)

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, proscalebrass@a... wrote:
              > My hats off to you Bruno. If it works out; sell them.
              >
              > John A
            • bschwand
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 24, 2003
                Hi Klaus,

                You had pointed that out to me, but Flash gives me headaches (i.e.
                does not work) so I actually never got to these pages on you site.
                Those DRO look great ! I admit that they are pretty similar in
                appearance and function to what I made (well, still making since the
                printed circuit boards have not come yet)

                Well, buying something already made can't beat hours of tinkering and
                learning. :-)

                BTW thanks to all on the board who pointed to web sites and gave info
                about the scales protocol, it was a great help.

                Klaus, may I ask what microcontroller you used in your DRO2 ? I used
                an atmel AVR8535. They are pretty cool and all the software tools are
                available also in open source (Linux/FreeBSD)

                Bruno

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "klauszietlow"
                <klauszietlow@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Bruno,
                > have you seen my DRO-2 design?
                >
                > http://www.zietlowdesign.com/products/dro2/dro2_info.htm
                >
                > It has all the features you have implemented (and a few more)...
                > Klaus
                >
                > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bschwand" <bschwand@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > woohoo !
                > >
                > > I finally finished writing the microcontroller software for my
                > digital
                > > read out display. I never thought I would end up writing almost
                2000
                > > lines of code for this !
                > >
                > > Here are the current features:
                > >
                > > - small unit ( 2.5" x 5" )
                > > - microcontroller based
                > > - two 6 digit LED displays
                > > - 2 SPC (chinese scales/caliper protocol) inputs
                > > - 1 tachometer sensor input
                > > - inch/mm toggle button
                > > - zero buttons for each axis
                > > - tachometer/scale input toggle button for upper display
                > > - mm mode displays to 1/100th of mm
                > > - inch mode displays to 1/2 of 1/1000 th inch
                > > - both scales and tachometer can be connected at all time
                > > - tachometer from 60rpm to ~ 15000rpm
                > >
                > > I basically looked at what was available and found nothing that I
                > > liked. I hate those LCD displays. I want an integrated tachometer.
                > >
                > > It is all bread-protoboarded now, so I am off to order the printed
                > > circuit boards... and hope it works with everything hooked-up.
                > >
                > > I'll post pictures once I have it assembled.
                > >
                > > bruno
              • bschwand
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 24, 2003
                  Klaus zietlow's DRO2 would probably work for you then, I don't think
                  you can beat his price for a finished product.

                  bruno

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, ljack70117@a... wrote:
                  > I had a set of the ones that come out of Canada. These are the ones
                  > that Little Machine Shop sells and I returned them as they were to big
                  > to mount on my mini-mill.
                  > Thank you
                  > Larry Jackman
                  > On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 06:07 PM, jjfear wrote:
                  >
                  > > If you log on to the site and look through the FILES and PHOTOS
                  > > sections, you will find a lot of information on DRO's that heve been
                  > > installed on minimills. Littlemachineshop sells a ready made one.
                  > >
                  > > HTH
                  > > Jerry F.
                  > >

                  > > -- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, ljack70117@a... wrote:
                  > >> Did I miss something????
                  > >> I am interested in DRO for a mini-mill
                  > >> Thank you
                  > >> Larry Jackman

                • klauszietlow
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                    Hi Bruno,
                    sorry about the Flash problems, maybe I should get rid of it...
                    DRO-2 uses a Cypress M8 microcontroller.
                    Odd choice? Well yes, but the original version also had a USB
                    interface. It worked well until I mounted the scales.
                    Grounding issues, the scales have their bodies connected to the
                    positive supply, and electric noise from the motor(s) made this a
                    little un-reliable. So I dropped the feature, since the last thing I
                    want is people returning the DRO because they can't make it work.
                    For a while I thought about making a USB only version without the
                    LEDs, but I don't think people want a computer in their shop unless
                    they go full CNC. The AVR is a good choice and probably would be my
                    pick if I were to do it again (which I am not ;-)

                    wrote:
                    > Hi Klaus,
                    >
                    > You had pointed that out to me, but Flash gives me headaches (i.e.
                    > does not work) so I actually never got to these pages on you site.
                    > Those DRO look great ! I admit that they are pretty similar in
                    > appearance and function to what I made (well, still making since the
                    > printed circuit boards have not come yet)
                    >
                    > Well, buying something already made can't beat hours of tinkering
                    and
                    > learning. :-)
                    >
                    > BTW thanks to all on the board who pointed to web sites and gave
                    info
                    > about the scales protocol, it was a great help.
                    >
                    > Klaus, may I ask what microcontroller you used in your DRO2 ? I used
                    > an atmel AVR8535. They are pretty cool and all the software tools
                    are
                    > available also in open source (Linux/FreeBSD)
                    >
                    > Bruno
                    >
                    > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "klauszietlow"
                    > <klauszietlow@y...> wrote:
                    > > Hi Bruno,
                    > > have you seen my DRO-2 design?
                    > >
                    > > http://www.zietlowdesign.com/products/dro2/dro2_info.htm
                    > >
                    > > It has all the features you have implemented (and a few more)...
                    > > Klaus
                    > >
                    > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bschwand" <bschwand@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > woohoo !
                    > > >
                    > > > I finally finished writing the microcontroller software for my
                    > > digital
                    > > > read out display. I never thought I would end up writing almost
                    > 2000
                    > > > lines of code for this !
                    > > >
                    > > > Here are the current features:
                    > > >
                    > > > - small unit ( 2.5" x 5" )
                    > > > - microcontroller based
                    > > > - two 6 digit LED displays
                    > > > - 2 SPC (chinese scales/caliper protocol) inputs
                    > > > - 1 tachometer sensor input
                    > > > - inch/mm toggle button
                    > > > - zero buttons for each axis
                    > > > - tachometer/scale input toggle button for upper display
                    > > > - mm mode displays to 1/100th of mm
                    > > > - inch mode displays to 1/2 of 1/1000 th inch
                    > > > - both scales and tachometer can be connected at all time
                    > > > - tachometer from 60rpm to ~ 15000rpm
                    > > >
                    > > > I basically looked at what was available and found nothing that
                    > > > liked. I hate those LCD displays. I want an integrated
                    tachometer.

                    > > > It is all bread-protoboarded now, so I am off to order the
                    printed
                    > > > circuit boards... and hope it works with everything hooked-up.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'll post pictures once I have it assembled.
                    > > >
                    > > > bruno
                  • jjfear
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                      Bruno,

                      Just curious. Going to this much effort, why didn't you go for 3-axis?

                      I have a DRO on my mill and find the Z axis to be the most useful and
                      used. That's the weakness that I see in Klaus Zeitlow's design.

                      Jerry F

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bschwand" <bschwand@y...> wrote:
                      > woohoo !
                      >
                      > I finally finished writing the microcontroller software for my digital
                      > read out display. I never thought I would end up writing almost 2000
                      > lines of code for this !
                      >
                      > Here are the current features:
                      >
                      > - small unit ( 2.5" x 5" )
                      > - microcontroller based
                      > - two 6 digit LED displays
                      > - 2 SPC (chinese scales/caliper protocol) inputs
                      > - 1 tachometer sensor input
                      > - inch/mm toggle button
                      > - zero buttons for each axis
                      > - tachometer/scale input toggle button for upper display
                      > - mm mode displays to 1/100th of mm
                      > - inch mode displays to 1/2 of 1/1000 th inch
                      > - both scales and tachometer can be connected at all time
                      > - tachometer from 60rpm to ~ 15000rpm
                      >
                      > I basically looked at what was available and found nothing that I
                      > liked. I hate those LCD displays. I want an integrated tachometer.
                      >
                      > It is all bread-protoboarded now, so I am off to order the printed
                      > circuit boards... and hope it works with everything hooked-up.
                      >
                      > I'll post pictures once I have it assembled.
                      >
                      > bruno
                    • Harvey White
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                        On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:20:04 -0000, you wrote:

                        >Bruno,
                        >
                        >Just curious. Going to this much effort, why didn't you go for 3-axis?
                        >
                        >I have a DRO on my mill and find the Z axis to be the most useful and
                        >used. That's the weakness that I see in Klaus Zeitlow's design.

                        I have a somewhat similar design that I'm very slowly working on.

                        2 inputs, 2 readouts, one microprocessor controlling both, serial
                        output to a computer.

                        As to why I would not do three?

                        I'm using the eagle cad free version that limits me to a 3 by 4 board
                        (roughly).

                        I just can't fit more stuff on a single sided board without going to
                        double sided....

                        However, 2 input boards would handle a rotary table too, ditto for the
                        readouts, and a third microprocessor can handle consolidating data and
                        a tach, if that's needed.

                        modular, costs in connectors, but it does work, design wise.

                        Harvey

                        >Jerry F
                        >

                        >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bschwand" <bschwand@y...> wrote:
                        >> woohoo !
                        >>
                        >> I finally finished writing the microcontroller software for my digital
                        >> read out display. I never thought I would end up writing almost 2000
                        >> lines of code for this !
                        >>
                        >> Here are the current features:
                        >>
                        >> - small unit ( 2.5" x 5" )
                        >> - microcontroller based
                        >> - two 6 digit LED displays
                        >> - 2 SPC (chinese scales/caliper protocol) inputs
                        >> - 1 tachometer sensor input
                        >> - inch/mm toggle button
                        >> - zero buttons for each axis
                        >> - tachometer/scale input toggle button for upper display
                        >> - mm mode displays to 1/100th of mm
                        >> - inch mode displays to 1/2 of 1/1000 th inch
                        >> - both scales and tachometer can be connected at all time
                        >> - tachometer from 60rpm to ~ 15000rpm
                        >>
                        >> I basically looked at what was available and found nothing that I
                        >> liked. I hate those LCD displays. I want an integrated tachometer.
                        >>
                        >> It is all bread-protoboarded now, so I am off to order the printed
                        >> circuit boards... and hope it works with everything hooked-up.
                        >>
                        >> I'll post pictures once I have it assembled.
                        >>
                        >> bruno

                      • bschwand
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                          I like modularity :-)
                          The atmel microcontroller I am using has just the right number of
                          pins, external interrupts and speed for 2 axis and tacho. I figured
                          that I could duplicate my design, putting 2 side-by-side on the same
                          board and have a 4 axis + 2 tacho if I want...

                          Klaus's design has more features I must say. Maybe I'll add stuff to
                          the software in the future, I do have ~3KBytes of program space left.
                          Take that, Microsoft :-)

                          bruno

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jjfear" <jjfear@i...> wrote:
                          > Bruno,
                          >
                          > Just curious. Going to this much effort, why didn't you go for
                          3-axis?

                          > I have a DRO on my mill and find the Z axis to be the most useful
                          and
                          > used. That's the weakness that I see in Klaus Zeitlow's design.
                          >
                          > Jerry F
                          >

                          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bschwand" <bschwand@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > > woohoo !
                          > >
                          > > I finally finished writing the microcontroller software for my
                          digital
                          > > read out display. I never thought I would end up writing almost
                          2000
                          > > lines of code for this !
                          > >
                          > > Here are the current features:
                          > >
                          > > - small unit ( 2.5" x 5" )
                          > > - microcontroller based
                          > > - two 6 digit LED displays
                          > > - 2 SPC (chinese scales/caliper protocol) inputs
                          > > - 1 tachometer sensor input
                          > > - inch/mm toggle button
                          > > - zero buttons for each axis
                          > > - tachometer/scale input toggle button for upper display
                          > > - mm mode displays to 1/100th of mm
                          > > - inch mode displays to 1/2 of 1/1000 th inch
                          > > - both scales and tachometer can be connected at all time
                          > > - tachometer from 60rpm to ~ 15000rpm
                          > >
                          > > I basically looked at what was available and found nothing that I
                          > > liked. I hate those LCD displays. I want an integrated tachometer.
                          > >
                          > > It is all bread-protoboarded now, so I am off to order the printed
                          > > circuit boards... and hope it works with everything hooked-up.
                          > >
                          > > I'll post pictures once I have it assembled.
                          > >
                          > > bruno
                        • bschwand
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                            I use gEDA
                            http://geda.seul.org/
                            and PCB
                            http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~haceaton/pcb/

                            on FreeBSD
                            http://www.freebsd.org/

                            all free, open source, no size limits and very capable.

                            The only little problem is that the current PCB freebsd port is a
                            little old, and there are a few bugs that have been fixed since then.
                            Guess I should take over that port too...

                            bruno

                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@i...>
                            wrote:
                            > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:20:04 -0000, you wrote:
                            > I have a somewhat similar design that I'm very slowly working on.
                            >
                            > 2 inputs, 2 readouts, one microprocessor controlling both, serial
                            > output to a computer.
                            >
                            > As to why I would not do three?
                            >
                            > I'm using the eagle cad free version that limits me to a 3 by 4
                            board
                            > (roughly).
                            >
                            > I just can't fit more stuff on a single sided board without going to
                            > double sided....
                            >
                            > However, 2 input boards would handle a rotary table too, ditto for
                            the
                            > readouts, and a third microprocessor can handle consolidating data
                            and
                            > a tach, if that's needed.
                          • Harvey White
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                              On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:56:12 -0000, you wrote:

                              >I use gEDA
                              >http://geda.seul.org/
                              >and PCB
                              >http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~haceaton/pcb/
                              >
                              >on FreeBSD
                              >http://www.freebsd.org/
                              >
                              >all free, open source, no size limits and very capable.
                              >
                              >The only little problem is that the current PCB freebsd port is a
                              >little old, and there are a few bugs that have been fixed since then.
                              >Guess I should take over that port too...
                              >
                              >bruno

                              Unfortunately, I don't use linux, or any of the variants...

                              Harvey
                            • bschwand
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@i...> wrote:
                                > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:56:12 -0000, you wrote:
                                >
                                > >I use gEDA
                                <snip>
                                > Unfortunately, I don't use linux, or any of the variants...
                                >
                                > Harvey

                                time to switch then :-)

                                bruno
                              • Harvey White
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 25, 2003
                                  On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:26:02 -0000, you wrote:

                                  >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@i...> wrote:
                                  >> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:56:12 -0000, you wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> >I use gEDA
                                  ><snip>
                                  >> Unfortunately, I don't use linux, or any of the variants...
                                  >>
                                  >> Harvey
                                  >
                                  >time to switch then :-)

                                  I might put together a PII 400 system that runs linux, if I can find
                                  another 50 dollar monitor....

                                  I actually have Linux....

                                  but I don't want dual boot on the laptop... you don't know how messy
                                  that is, or was....

                                  Harvey

                                  >bruno

                                • trainman80005
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 28, 2003
                                    I have two of the Zietlow Design DRO Readouts and they are very good.
                                    I have posted pictures of them on this group and also on the 7 x 12
                                    group. Like Jerry says the 3 axis unit would be a good feature for
                                    the mill, but reading the z axis reader is not a problem. Once you
                                    have used the digital SRO's you will not want to use anything else.
                                    The accuracy is worth the price of the units.

                                    Lee Brown