anti backlash

  • Jeff Wild
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2012
      hi group.iam curious if any member has made the anti backlash coller thati posted in late december.i have used it for the last three months with no problems.its so easy to make,please try it you will not be disapointed jeff
    • bbass408
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2012
        Can you link to the original post?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2012
          hi group. sorry about no link.i will re write the mod.the castle joint on the fine/coarse handles ,has a lot of free play which is the main offender in the bachlash problem,i have made a small coller with allen screew in the rim which locks the castle joint when using the fine feed.it took me less than one hour to make on the lathe and has got rid of 90% of the backlash,try it you will not be disapointed jeff
        • John Mattis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2012
            I just have a 1 inch travel dial indicator on the Z axis so I don't worry about backlash.
            John

            hi group. sorry about no link.i will re write the mod.the castle joint on the fine/coarse handles ,has a lot of free play which is the main offender in the bachlash problem,i have made a small coller with allen screew in the rim which locks the castle joint when using the fine feed.it took me less than one hour to make on the lathe and has got rid of 90% of the backlash,try it you will not be disapointed jeff

          • Rick Grimm
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2012
              I added an 80 lb force gas spring to replace the torsion spring on the z-axis, it keeps constant pressure on the rack in the same direction and now I can back up the Z fine feed after advancing it without worrying about backlash. It does require you to keep the gibs lock on when fine feed is disengaged or constant pressure on the course feed otherwise it will self return to the top, a side benefit I use often when drilling and tapping. The gas spring has a cushion at the top end so it comes to a nice deceleration and stop.